The UNFORGIVABLE Sin: What Is It?

by Cold Steel 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Prime
    Prime
    So if someone came into a council of elders and said, "I've come to you brethren to confess that I blasphemed against the Holy Spirit. I was drunk, didn't know what I was doing, and we thought it would be fun to blaspheme the Holy Spirit. Now I realize I was wrong. Have I gone too far, elders? Is my future cast in stone?"
    What would those elders say?

No one who's gone too far cares. That's why the sin is unforgivable. Look it up in the WTS literature. You're talking about the wrong thing around this place.

• Listener
    Listener

There is an article on this - Watchtower 2007 7/15 "....Any who fear that they have sinned against the holy spirit might ask themselves: ‘Have I blasphemed against the holy spirit? Did I genuinely repent of my sin? Do I have faith in God’s forgiveness? Am I an apostate who has rejected spiritual light?’ Very likely, such individuals will realize that they have not blasphemed against God’s holy spirit, nor have they become apostates. They are repentant, and they have abiding faith in Jehovah’s forgiveness. If so, they have not sinned against Jehovah’s holy spirit....." This would suggest that apostates have committed the unforgivable sin, but apparently it's not so unforgivable at all, all one has to do is repent.

• Badfish
    Badfish

So who is this Holy Spirit guy? And do you have to know who he is to blasheme him?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Can't say that i ever blasphemed holy spirit. The wt wouldn't recognize holy spirit. Its merely a word to them.

S

• cantleave
    cantleave

What a ridiculous concept blasphemy is. Any idiot can see it is a control mechanism create by men.

• Mum
    Mum

According to the WTS, the "unforgivable sin" is to speak against them. What arrogance!

My definition comes from a "worldly" book I read: If there is an unforgivable sin, it must be to treat one person with less respect rthan another.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Seeing as how sin leads to death; all have died; all have sinned and none have come back from sin excepting Jesus.

All sin has not been forgiven as all are still dead.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Thanks for your replies.

Although I'm not a JW, I do occasionally read the Watchtower when someone gives me one. I get it on a Saturday and read it that evening or the next day. It astounded me to learn that members spend hours studying it! No offense to anyone, but it's about as deep as a spring shower puddle and about as clear. It would drive me nuts getting together every week and going over it as though it were a letter from heaven.

The unforgivable sin is an issue I'd never heard them speak about. Based on what I've heard, if you fall away from the faith and repent, you haven't committed it. If you've fallen away and don't return, then you have most likely committed it. Most other faiths view the unforgivable sin as an affront to what God has revealed via the Holy Spirit. Thus if a person were to deny Christ once he or she had received a sure knowledge of him, that would be blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

To former members who have turned to atheism, there is no sin, period. So no surprise that they view it all as foolishness.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

You brought up an interesting twist Cold Steel. How would one sin against Gods active force. I am not atheist.

Jehovahs Witnesses ,JW, believe that once you learn about Jehovah and the bible then turn around and deny the bible and God word is sinning aganist the holy spirit.

Having doubts and questioning is not sinning. Some might even think they are atheist but God reads hearts.

When some one learns about Jesus then deliberately practice sin it means there is no more sacrifice left. How many times does Jesus need to die for mankind once for all sins. We are all guilty of practicing sin but thank God for prayers. Also, the big issue is when someone sins against You how hard it is to forgive your brother or sister for their sins. Forgiveness is upon congregations.

When someone talks about sin the topic of forgiveness is to follow. It changes things.

Denying Jesus means there is no hope left. But again I am human and I leave the judging to Jesus.

I heard the WatchTowers are getting worse to read.

There are churches that pamphlets are so boring it makes you want to sleep.

Some churches are like the JW,Mormons and Seven Day Adventist.

Which church did you get baptized?

• cofty
    cofty
    To former members who have turned to atheism, there is no sin, period. So no surprise that they view it all as foolishness. - Cold Steel

Nobody "turns" to atheism, it's the default position once you give up on superstition.

Sin implies belief in an ultimate law-giver. In reality it's about mindless compliance with a lot of rules designed to impose control.

I am drinking a nice cup of tea as I type this - in your bizarre world this is a "sin". How silly.

Morality does not require superstitious foundations.

Which church did you get baptized? - sarahsmile

Cold Steel is a Mormon. They make JWs look rational.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit