A Video Series about 607 BC vs 587 BC

by Londo111 272 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

scholiar:

If you wish to discuss BM21946 then please provide a specific link for all of my documents and papers are in storage.

I already linked the page previously. But OK, I'll spoon-feed you this one...

The date 537 BCE is provable and the proof is outlined in our publications- Refer to Insight volumes under Chronology and Cyrus.

No. It's not. You've already admitted several times on this thread that it's not proven. Insight just claims it's "very probable" and "likely", with no evidence at all.

Because according to Steinmann is the usual date for those who accept Ezra's chronology as accurate.

I've already shown that many sources give 538. Additionally, I've already demonstrated that 538 is the only year compatible with a comparison of Ezra and Josephus.

Yes 539 BCE is provable and is necessary for Bible chronology and well demonstrated according to methodology.

You're still misusing the word methodology.

Daniel 1:1 refers to the vassalage of Jehoiakim' reign as the third year of his kingship. You left a big empty space in your last post or does this illustrate the state of your mind?

There is a diagram in one of my earlier posts. Perhaps you use a primitive browser. No gaps in any of my recent posts on 2 different browsers tested. You'll have to be more specific. Or maybe you're just lying again.

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

Your pretty charts have just now appeared all that we need is a transcription of BM21956. Your charts are problematic because it shows a one year difference beteen the third and fourth years of Jehoiakim synchronized with the 0yr and first year of Nebuchadnezzer. So which is it? Daniel and Jeremiah differ with the beginning of the Neb's reign for you assume that the third year of Daniel is the same as the fourth year according to Jeremiah. Rather Daniel is referring to his third year iof Kingship and not his third regnal year.

You have a nother problem in that you do not know what calendation Jeremiah used so your little pretty chart is not new because scholars have laboured over this problem for decades. Remember when it comes to chronology simplicity always triumphs saves one from getting bogged down in endless technicalities. Your presentation well illustrates the importance of methodology. Your method simply fails for Bible chronology skips over these issues and solves the problem.

I do not know the names of those researchers so I cannot help you. I do not believe it is the most significant point for it is just a small part of the most significant matter in that specific article. Overall the most significant matter is the seventy years.

The other authorities that I refer to are Furuli and Jonsson along with others.I do not consider you to be an authority just a hanger on. I never said that the twenty gap was consistent with other authorities but is only manifest by a comparison as I have explained.

The twenty year gap occurs when you add the total length of the Babylonian dynasty and compare that witht Bible chronology. Whether there are other gaps within the NB period is something which Furuli has investigated and discussed so there is a potential for a much larger gap but for the moment the status quo proves a twenty year gap at the present. Have you read Furuli if not then you should because he has investigated with much thoroughness.

I correct dilemma to dilemna for I do not bother to spell check on these posts. Thanks!

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

scholiar:

all that we need is a transcription of BM21956

If you're too lazy to click a link, you're just too lazy. And it's 21946.

Your charts are problematic because it shows a one year difference beteen the third and fourth years of Jehoiakim synchronized with the 0yr and first year of Nebuchadnezzer.

Go learn about accession and non-accession dating systems. Sheesh... not much of a 'scholar'.

(Apparently you didn't notice the errors in the reign of Nabopolassar on the chart. Those were typos while recently in the process of correcting that chart for the month Nabopolassar's reign started (probably too complex for you), but have no bearing on the import of the information about Nebuchadnezzar or Jehoiakim.)

you do not know what calendation Jeremiah used

He used Tishri-based years for kings of Judah (this can be proven mathematically). He most likely used Nisan-based year for Babylonian kings. However, as shown in the chart, the result is the same whether he used Nisan- or Tishri-based years for Babylonian kings, as Nebuchadnezzar took the throne in Elul (August/September) of 605.

I do not know the names of those researchers so I cannot help you.

It was hardly a scholarly article then was it? Not citing their source for their main claim! Shameful!!

I do not consider you to be an authority

I don't care what you think. I show readers the flaws in your arguments. That is all.

I correct dilemma to dilemna

Why would you change a correct spelling to an incorrect one?? And it doesn't change the fact that you weren't actually describing a dilemma.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Fixed.

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

Spoonfeeding suggests 'pap' are you feeding me pap or milk. Unfortunately I cannot print out the contents of your blog for critical examination but it seems that there is nothing new or original.

The date is provable certainly enough for any reasonable person but if you require more proof then you should worry about your date 538BCE. Some sources give 538 BCE but I bet such sources do not give a full explanation but simply pluck a figure out of the air . What probably happens is that the Return of Exiles begins in 538 but ends in 537 so your authorities simply focus on the start of the Return as 538 and leave it at that and that is fine with me.

No I think it is you that cannot come to grips with 'methodology' for possible the word is too big for you.

Your chart appeared on my browser but I would like to print out your blog so can you construct a PDF file for printing as I do not want to back and forwards.I do not know why I cannot print off the screen as I am able to do with most pages. Have you enabled a lock on ypour blog. I notice in the pages that you have a problem with Jesus as a real historical person so what is your position. Further what is your position on the Bible anyway?

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

scholiar:

Spoonfeeding suggests 'pap' are you feeding me pap or milk.

Idiot.

Unfortunately I cannot print out the contents of your blog for critical examination

Idiot.

but it seems that there is nothing new or original.

I've examined the available source material. It would be unsurprising that I've reached the same conclusions as other sane people.

The date is provable certainly enough for any reasonable person

So now it's "provable ... enough"? This is called shifting the goal posts, and also represents a meaningless distinction. Any reasonable person would note that there is in fact no certainty for 537. Comparison of Ezra and Josephus only allows for the return in 538.

but if you require more proof then you should worry about your date 538BCE. Some sources give 538 BCE but I bet such sources do not give a full explanation but simply pluck a figure out of the air .

Ah yes, well, who needs to examine sources when they can just bet on them? I suppose, that's how you approach JW dogma anyway.

What probably happens is that the Return of Exiles begins in 538 but ends in 537 so your authorities simply focus on the start of the Return as 538 and leave it at that and that is fine with me.

Ah, another probably. But there you're postulating that they would then have travelled through the cold rainy winter (strawman). And we know they arrived in the 7th month. Idiot.

No I think it is you that cannot come to grips with 'methodology' for possible the word is too big for you.

Idiot.

Your chart appeared on my browser but I would like to print out your blog so can you construct a PDF file for printing as I do not want to back and forwards.

To which chart are you referring?

I do not know why I cannot print off the screen as I am able to do with most pages. Have you enabled a lock on ypour blog.

No, it's a standard Wordpress blog.

I notice in the pages that you have a problem with Jesus as a real historical person so what is your position.

There is no contemporary evidence that Jesus existed, only tenuous evidence that Jesus existed at all, no evidence that there was anything 'supernatural' about him, no evidence that the accounts about him in the Bible are accurate, and considerable evidence that stories about Jesus in the Bible are adapted from myths of earlier 'god-men'.

This has no relevance at all to Babylon's 70 years.

Further what is your position on the Bible anyway?

The Bible contains a variety of myths, legends, historical accounts (with political and theological spin), poetry and other material written from a Jewish (and later, Christian) perspective, from various writings over a long period of time that were later collated by Christians in the fourth century (who you consider to be 'evil apostate Christendom') at which time they excluded various other writings which they didn't deem to be 'inspired' (an ambiguous ill-defined term, and an essentially meaningless distinction).

This also has no bearing on the consideration of the material in question, as the records from the period align with other historical records.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    can you construct a PDF file for printing as I do not want to back and forwards

That may involve considerable reformatting. I might produce a PDF version of the articles if asked by appreciative readers. At this point, it's not worth the effort.

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

I'd be interested in having a PDF of it, anytime in the future when you have the time. I must confess I'd be lost talking with a jw about this at the moment but having it handy on the iPad or phone would be excellent.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Neil,

Thanks for the correction. My papers are boxed so I am quoting from Memory. Well he mentioned 537 so it is given some credibility but his silence on 538 speaks volomes. Why don't you nail your colours to the mast and say what date you prefer. What is more important is your opinion of his conclusions which certainly dont support 538?

He doesn't support 537 either. He supports a different date - 533 BCE. He has his reasons. As Jeffro has pointed out, many reputable scholars support 538.

[Later post] I checked Andrew Steinmann's artcile on the JETS website and he gave his comment on 537 beginning on the last sentence on the first page and concluding on the first line on the second page so I was right after all from memory. Also you did not quote him correctly for he says"the date is usually given as 537BC by those who accept Ezra's chronological statement as accurate but the date is usually offered with some reservation.3".

It's fascinating to see how you manage to twist things around so that even when you are proven wrong on something you convince yourself that you were right.

You said: "Steinmann does mention 537BCE as a credible date in the footnote on the first page of his article ." As I indicated to you and as you have just confirmed, you remembered incorrectly.

Also you did not quote him correctly

I did not quote him at all.

As an aside Steinmann has recently a new book on Bible chronology endorsed by Rodger Young.

I know. You told me about it, remember?

(Don't you dare use that as another opportunity for boasting! >:-( Just act like normal person for a change. "Oh that's right, I did, Ann" will suffice.)

[Earlier post again] WTS are dogmatic about their chronology. ...

But you had said, "There is no room for dogma in chronology." Again, you appear to be disagreeing with the WTS's position. (Now I look forward to watching you harmonize your two contradictory statements to calm the cog diss in your head.)

... They propose certain dates, advocate and promote such dates but this is not dogmatism it is simply promoting a belief system.

Oh. They are not dogmatic now. In the space of two sentences, the WTS are both dogmatic and not dogmatic with their chronology. Are you so rattled that your brain is struggling to function properly?

I am having no difficulty with the article so no need to write. Its your problem not mine.

So you accept the WT's statement now? You accept that, for the WT's statement to be true, your initial statement must be false?

Methinks the watch illustration is brilliant because it shows how the twenty hap is removed by factoring the seventy years which are missing from the NB chronology and history. Touche!

I see that, again, you cannot cope psychologically with being shown up to be mistaken and you have to withdraw into your own fantasies.

Thanks for the link to his second review for at that earlier time it was not posted. I will check my files to see if in fact I did have it. I will now look at it and save it if needed for later printing. ...

You're welcome. I find it hard to imagine that it passed you by at the time.

... Although at the time he seemed to be supporting the paper by Doug Mason. ...

Doug Mason also supports COJ's critiques and refers to them in his paper.

... Some mystery here but I will sort it out eventually and let you know. After all it is bout two years ago.

No need to let me know and no mystery. I already know when both Doug's and Carl's articles were put online. You knock yourself out, though :-)

You ask about the tables I do not have the tools nor the competence to use them for I only have a copy of Oppolzer's Canon of Ecliposes and the Parker and Dubberstein's Babylonian chronology. I am more than happy to defer to other experts.

I've told you, I'll help you. You can get free, good quality, user-friendly astronomy programs online. You already have P&D. You can find historical lunar eclipses on the NASA site. You can find the transliteration and translation of VAT 4956 online - both the ones found in ADT Vol. I and Neugebauer and Weidner's 1915 one - heck, the latter has even been translated into English and is online now! All you are doing is making lame excuses because you are too scared of what you will find.

But by the way have you written to Furuli and engaged with him so his alleged errors as I have requested of you over many years. I do know that Furuli does engage with Hunger so I must contact Furuli for a update.

Until you engage with Furuli directly then your criticisms of his work amounts to humbug!

You know I have done so! You know that he never got back to me on some outstanding questions. You also know that his books and the criticisms of them are in the public domain. You probably do not know that his latest edition includes some revision that no doubt was influenced - at least in part - by those online criticisms, e.g. it's interesting that his "night of" Addaru 2 discussion, where previously he had tagged the 567 BCE crescent Moon's position as 'bad' even though he bizarrely took its postion the following morning in broad daylight, is now tagged as 'excellent.' Incredibly, he still takes the lunar position the following morning in broad daylight but that's Furuli for you - he tries to put right something, yet in doing so drops another brick on his foot.

[A different later post] Jonsson says in his second article that he had confirmation of the programs from two competent scholars Ann OMaly and Marjorie Alley. As you are now considered to be scholars according to Jonsson would please inform me as to both of your qualifications What are your degrees and where did you both study?

Can you please tell me what degrees the 'celebrated WT scholars' have and where they studied for them to be esteemed by you as 'scholars' and 'celebrated'?

Jonsson believes that the researchers who checked the astro programs were in fact singular -one person Furuli not plural of many persons as stated in the WT. Furuli assuired me that this was the case and he was hesitant about their identification. Hence a mystery and scholar loves the mysterious. .

Of course Furuli was hesitant about their identification! They are HIM! It is telling that the WT article also refused to name 'them'! Wake up! The WT articles were Furulian through and through - for anyone familiar with Furuli's works, it's as plain as the nose on your face. And, as has been pointed out to you already, the articles' use of scholarly sources was ATROCIOUS! Very bad form for an organization that alleges to champion truth and accuracy! For shame.

• scholar
    scholar

AnnOMaly

Well he certainly does not support 538 but at least he admits to the acceptance of 537 BCE. I am simply quoting what he has said in a single sentence.

Thank you for your offer of help with regard to astro programs but Furuli is an expert so I am to rely on his expertise.you have not corresponded with Furuli directly but you had some communication with him on a website but it all seemed to evaporate into nothing. It is some time since i lloked at the website so perhaps yopu can refresh me so I can have a peep. Well if you have aproblem with Furuli's last revision then you should contact him.

It appear that you choose to ignore my question regarding your qualifications so I would take it that you have no qualifications so I see no purpose in taking any notice of your pretensions of scholarship and your criticism of Furuli is dismissed.

I cannot help you with the identity and qualifications of the celebrated WT scholars for that remains a mystery as with the researchers that confirmed the data pertaining to VAT 4956.

Let me assure that Furuli is not one of those researchers because I asked him personally but he would reveal their identity to me. Intriquing is it not? No doubt those articles were inspired by Furuli's research becaus ehe had forwarded several copies to Bethel. The sources used for those articles was correct and proper and I do not believe that there are any concerns. What guiles you people is that the Society was able to use these sources competently notwithstanding the fact that the writers of those articles were not happy about it. I say too bad, too bad. The Watchtower articles were simple and clear and covered the whole landscape accurately.

scholar JW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit