A Video Series about 607 BC vs 587 BC

by Londo111 272 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Londo111
  • Londo111
    Londo111

The above is a labor of love for Jehovah’s Witnesses, although it would be viewed by the majority of them in the most vitriolic terms. However, it is my hope that it will help someone out there, even if only a few on the verge of awakening, or can be used in helping reason with others.

As a JW, I never knew much about 607 BC or the 70 Years other than the calculation 537 BC – 70 = 607 BC, and, of course, that 607 BC was their starting point for the “Gentile Times” equation which computes to “1914”. I assumed as the Society taught that one could either accept the historical evidence or one could accept the Bible. But this proved to be a false choice.

When I first started looking into the teaching in earnest, it seemed daunting. Where are the 70 Years mentioned in the Bible? What does the Bible actually say about the matter? It turned out, I knew much less than I thought I did about what the Bible actually says.

I’ve tried my best to present a video series that I would have appreciated when I was first looking into the matter. It is not perfect, nor as yet complete, but hopefully it can answer the following questions:

There’s an issue in regard 607 BC?

What are the basic components of the 607 BC argument?

Does the Bible state that the Jews returned in 537 BC?

When did the 70 years end?

When did the 70 years begin?

Is the 70 years synonymous with the Exile?

What were the 70 years all about?

Did Jerusalem have to be destroyed during the 70 years?

Was the Exile inevitable during the 70 years?

Was the 70 years ‘at Babylon’ or ‘for Babylon’?

Does Chronicles say that the land of Judah kept Sabbath 70 years?

Does Daniel say that Jerusalem was desolate 70 years?

Is there Biblical evidence pointing to 587/586 BC?

I am not a pro at making videos, therefore, what I present is far from perfect in quality. In fact, I’ve yet to figure out why there is crackling in the audio after rendering. I still detest the sound of my voice.

At this moment, I am up to twelve episodes, excluding the video appendixes. It is my hope to continue this series further. Later, I hope to present the case for 587 BC from the historical evidence.

I’m refraining from directly mentioning the Watchtower or JW.ORG or JWs or being critical of anyone by name, or ascribing motivations of those who teach 607 BC. It is not my goal to tear down, but to build up.

BTW--I meant the following for my 1914 th post, but now that post counts are gone, think of this as my symbolic 1914 th post.

• man oh man
    man oh man

Thanks for all of the time and effort you have gone to in order to help many of us answer these questions. I am sure it will help many!

• TJ Curioso
    TJ Curioso

Great work! I Send a PM to You London111.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Thanks, Man Oh Man.

TJ: Just got your email.

• cha ching
    cha ching

We really enjoyed your series, watched all of them.

I liked the info from Matthew 1:11, 12 regarding Jeconaiah, 11 Jo·si´ah became father to Jec·o·ni´ah and to his brothers at the time of the deportation to Babylon. 12 After the deportation to Babylon Jec·o·ni´ah became father to She·al´ti·el. .

You did a lot of hard work (that I also had planned on researching, but did not have the time) coordinating facts, and exposing the hypocrisy of "everyone had to be in Babylon before the 70 years began" garbage.

I think many can benefit from this well put together, objective, rational, and detailed video.

Thx! cha ching!

• Londo111
    Londo111

Thank you!

Hopefully in time, I’ll be able to put something together from the historical evidence as well. Since the Watchtower presents a false choice, “You can either believe the Bible and 607 or the Historical evidence and 587”, I’m hoping that by a perhaps overly exhaustive examination of what the Bible actually says, this series can dispel that myth.

Context is everything. I don’t think it’s an accident that in all my years as a JW, I never heard the word exegesis.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Does anyone outside of the adventists believe that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607 B.C.?

In fact, are the adventist sects united on this or is it just the Jehovah's Witnesses? I suspect if it's just the Society, it was done to justify the 1914 date. I don't know of any reputable scholars who think it happened in 607.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

The Jews returned in 538. Josephus (Against Apion, Book I, Chapter 21) confirms that temple work began in the second year of Cyrus, and Ezra says it was in the second month of that year. The Jews were in their cities in the 7th month of the year before that. They therefore could not have returned in 537. See here.

Jerusalem was destroyed in 587, not 586. 586 is derived from Edwin Thiele, however 586 is not consistent with the relative timing of events in 598 and 597. Babylonian records of the same period confirm that 587 is correct. There is no need to say "587 or 586".

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Cold Steel:

Does anyone outside of the adventists believe that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607 B.C.?

No.

In fact, are the adventist sects united on this or is it just the Jehovah's Witnesses? I suspect if it's just the Society, it was done to justify the 1914 date. I don't know of any reputable scholars who think it happened in 607.

Other Bible Student groups also hold to Russell's teachings about 607 and 1914. However, Russell got his ideas from earlier Adventists.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit