A Video Series about 607 BC vs 587 BC

by Londo111 272 Replies latest watchtower bible

• scholar
    scholar

Doug Mason

Hi Doug! Hope you are well.

You raise the matter of Gedaliah and the length of his rulership. You will be pleased to know that I finally printed out Rainer Albertz's Israel In Exile some 450 pages of excellent information. This was the first reference quoted in the Oct 15 Wt 2011 on Chronology a refernce that as always correctly used. His chronology does not agree with JW's but his Theology certainly does and that is more important. Regarding Gedaliah he states on page 94, "Unfortunately,we do not know precisely how long Gedaliah's regime lasted...then Gedaliah had only two monthsfor his social experiment...If we accept this date, then Gedaliah had some four or five years to carry out his social reform.' This confusion seems to represent the state of current scholarship for one side accepys a couple of months whereas others give a number of years.

Albertz' history of the Exile uses different chronologies for the exile but begins the Exile only with the Fall of Jerusalem and not some earlier date proposed by Jonsson and others. Further, he treats the matter of the seventy years from 587-517 BCE rather differently as well.

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

sholiar:

Albertz' history of the Exile uses different chronologies for the exile but begins the Exile only with the Fall of Jerusalem and not some earlier date proposed by Jonsson and others.

The first and most significant exile of the Jews to Babylon was in 597BCE, after a three month siege. That isn't a "date proposed by Jonsson and others". It is broadly recognised.

Further, he treats the matter of the seventy years from 587-517 BCE rather differently as well.

There were 70 years of fasts, to which Zechariah refers, from 587 until 518 (inclusive). This has no direct bearing on the 70-year period for which the nations were serving Babylon, which ended in 539.

• scholar
    scholar

Doug Mason

Just some further clarifications as Jeffro has put his two cents in. Albertz begins the first deportation in 597 BCE but the Exile began with the Fall of Jerusalem 587 BCE. The seventy years in Chronicles begins with the the first year of Jehoiakim's reign in 609BCE until Cyrus which would be 539 BCE. His beginning of the Exile is the Fall of Jerusalem which agrees with WT chronology.

Further, he does not discuss the seventy years of fasting as of Zechariah that I could find by means of the Index. The seventy years of Jeremiah he dates from 587-517 BCE.

This illustrates the differences between historians regardin chronology but what is significant that he begins the Exile with the Fall of Jerusalem and not 609 or 605 BCE.

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

scholiar:

His beginning of the Exile is the Fall of Jerusalem which agrees with WT chronology.

And it's wrong. As a Protestant theologian, it's unsurprising that he has at least some theology similar to an offshoot of a Millerite Adventist sect.

Albertz begins the first deportation in 597 BCE

Yes. It wasn't something Jonsson made up at all, was it, scholiar?

but the Exile began with the Fall of Jerusalem 587 BCE.

Wrong. See Jeremiah 52:28.

Further, he does not discuss the seventy years of fasting as of Zechariah that I could find by means of the Index. The seventy years of Jeremiah he dates from 587-517 BCE.

I don't really care what Albertz said about the period from 587 to 517. I said what that period actually was.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

scholar, you haven't responded to me yet. You said to keep it simple (I thought what I wrote was pretty simple). Can you prove (without WT references) that there are two Nabonidus' that served as king back to back for 36 years? If not, then you can't really justify the WT viewpoint unless you are bad at math.

• scholar
    scholar

AnnOMaly

I have done the research. I have been reearching since the seventies an dyour chropnology on its own unless it is adjusted or fine tuned is collapses. I don need any bullying from you for if you are convinced in your own mind about your research and are happy and content then bully for you. The mere fact is that all those scholars with PHD 's agree on certain points with you would in their same research would disagree with you on some point. The research of Rainer Albertz who wrote a most detailed study on the Exile, published in 2003 by the Society of Biblical Literature a Society made up of the world's prominent scholars who agrees with your chronology mostly but has views on chronology, history and theology similar to JW's.

You evidently have no qualifications hence a amateur at best.

By the way Furuli has a PHD do you?

scholar JW

fd

• scholar
    scholar

Mr Freeze

I am only aware of one Nabonidus but if you ask Jeffro he will make up one for you as he is in the habit of making things up and living in self delusion.

scholar JW

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

The WT believes there is more than one Nabonidus. It's how they justify the extra years to reach 607. If you can't grasp what I was saying than clearly the whole concept and subject might be a little bit beyond you.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Jeffro,

How do you arrive at the date when the Jews assembled at the temple site?

Doug

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Doug Mason:

How do you arrive at the date when the Jews assembled at the temple site?

I'm going to assume you're asking about the reconstruction in 537.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit