Open letter – Re: Mr. Bowen, Mrs. Anderson

by Prime 91 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Prime
    Prime
    Prime,
    I haven't engaged you before and really don't want to now. Besty is a good friend of mine (terrific guy, really). He asked a simple question to which I hoped you would provide a simple answer: "why are elders instructed to call the Watchtower legal department before doing anything else?" If you don't know why, simply answer "no." If you do know why, please share. A simple answer from you, either way, would prove most informative to this debate that you have initiated.
    Thank you in advance.

You can read the 10/01/2010 BOE letter Re: Child Abuse, or any prior letter addressing this issue after 01/01/1997;

"Most states have child-abuse reporting laws that, depending on the facts, mandate elders to report an accusation to the authorities. Thus, when elders learn of an accusation of child abuse, two elders from their congregation should immediately call the Legal Department for legal advice."

Any organization, that through the course of their activities may encounter legal issues has a legal department.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I would like Prime to answer one question. Why did Christ's Brothers refuse to comply with the Working With Children Act in Victoria, Australia? What possible reason could there be for not cooperating with the "Superior Authorities" when no scriptural principle or command is broken by doing so?

I eagerly await your response.

" Thus, when elders learn of an accusation of child abuse, two elders from their congregation should immediately call the Legal Department for legal advice."

There is your problem. The Elder's first thought is to call the Legal Dept, who then attempts to handle the problem "in house" to protect the Organization's reputation. The Elders might as well not even call the legal department for all the good it does. Obviously that tactic has not worked, and it's time to face the music and dance.

If Prime's child came to me with an accusation of abuse, I would immediately call the authorities, and then tell Prime, and then inform the Legal Dept of what I had done. Prime, I hope you never have to experience anything as horrible as child abuse in your family. If you do, I accept your thanks in advance for protecting your child. You are welcome.

• cofty
    cofty

If the welfare of children was the main priority the policy would read...

"When elders learn of an accusation of child abuse, they should first contact the police &/or social services and follow their advice. If the accusation involves a member of the congregation please also keep the legal department informed of the situation."

The focus of elder's training would be how to support and reassure victims without prejudicing legal investigations.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Cofty,

Your'e using black and white thinking here:

::::If the welfare of children was the main priority the policy would read...

"When elders learn of an accusation of child abuse, they should first contact the police &/or social services and follow their advice. If the accusation involves a member of the congregation please also keep the legal department informed of the situation.":::::

Your assuming this is the only way to show it to be a main concern, what do they call that type of statement?

• Prime
    Prime
    If the welfare of children was the main priority the policy would read...
    "When elders learn of an accusation of child abuse, they should first contact the police &/or social services and follow their advice. If the accusation involves a member of the congregation please also keep the legal department informed of the situation."
    The focus of elder's training would be how to support and reassure victims without prejudicing legal investigations.

There are some states that draw no distinction between "professionals" and other adults when it comes to this matter.

If someone is "mandated as a professional applicable to child abuse reporting laws," their responsibility is not discretionary. If there was an alternate route to take when it comes to instructing the elders, it would read as follows;

"When elders learn of an accusation of child abuse, they should first contact the police &/or social services for information and advice about their legal requirements. If the accusation involves a member of the congregation, please also keep the legal department informed of the situation."

The difference between the legal department and the police &/or social services is the legal department will ensure compliance with the law, whereas the latter will just charge a person with a crime if it comes to light the law was violated.

The legal department isn't just for the purpose of "advice," it's also to "ensure that elders comply with the law."

Just about all organizations have some sort of centralized administration when it comes to any kind of legal matter. This is to ensure that things are followed through with.

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

Prime is still inside I believe and must have discovered this issue on one of these sites. It's a hard truth to swallow so instead of accepting facts that are true he/she has decided to refute them, too bad because child sex abuse and JW's should never be mentioned in the same sentence especially if they really have God's support.

As I'm assuming you're still a JW why do you posts on sites like these? I was under the impression that an active JW would avoid doing so as it would be offensive to Jehovah.

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

Prime: something to think about when you are quoting policies and legalities:

Most children in the "Truth" are taught that the elders are there to protect them. Sometimes they are the only ones the child can turn to. In an abusive situation the child has been conditioned to live and keep a secret. Especially if the child has been raised in the "Truth". The idea of not bringing reproach on Jehovah's Organization is deeply ingrained.

This is a weapon the abuser can use to manipulate the victim to remain silent. The thing is this child is usually trained to know what he is doing is wrong.

Try to imagin the courage it would take for that child to come forward. They are counting on the elders to protect them and put their interests first. They were taught if someone is doing something wrong go to the elders. They are expecting the elders to take care of it.

You might not have had to deal with a case but I lived it. Let me tell you. I 12 when I discovered what my elder dad was doing to my sister. it had been going on for years. I found out because he started on another one of my sisters and she told me.

Guess what one of the first things she said? If we tell they will remove him as an elder it could stumble somone. If he goes to jail it will bring reproach on Gods name.

Even at 12 , I knew the 2 witness rule. I tried to get my sisters to tell. I knewI

I

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

Sorry having problems with my browser.

We knew about the 2 witness rule. So did he. Thats why he threatened them and told them not to tell each other.

I pleaded with them to come forward. One sister was 13 and the other was 10. I knew I couldn' t becUsit was hear say if they did not back me up.

The thing was we knew what he was doing was wrong and that he had no business being an elder. We had other reasons for not calling the authorities but we knew we could call the elders. They were there to protect us.

I won' t go into the details but we did end up coming foward. It was hard. The elders never told us we had the option to go to the authorities. They let my mom make the decision we were not consulted.

I don't knowif things are done differently now, but I feel like we did not have someone looking out for us. All the adults had their iwn agenda.

• besty
    besty

@prime

"Most states have child-abuse reporting laws that, depending on the facts, mandate elders to report an accusation to the authorities.
    Thus, when elders learn of an accusation of child abuse, two elders from their congregation should immediately call the Legal Department for legal advice."

I see two reasons in the 1st sentence why elders must phone Legal first. Firstly not all states mandate reporting to authorities. Secondly, it depends on 'the facts'. (How those 'facts' are ascertained by unqualified men is another topic).

It seems to me that the phone call to WTS Legal is to receive 'legal advice' and to ensure minimum compliance, not to ensure child protection, otherwise they would be instructed to call secular authorities first.

It would be good to hear from any elders on JWD how those phone calls to WTS legal go.

• steve2
    steve2

Despite protestations to the contrary, organized religion values reputation above all else. The clear direction to phone the Watchtower's legal department first is the necessary step in reducing harm-to-reputation. It is hardly unique to the Witnesses - but given their earnest claim to be the one true religion, more could be expected of them such as being a beacon of light to their children and making children's wellbeing more important than their need to protect religious reputation. Paradoxically, championing children's wellbeing and safety would be a healthier more honorable way to enhance the organization's reputation, I'd suggest. And it would be a fitting demonstration of "difference" from all the churches and religions the organization regularly exposes as "false" and "ungodly". Hypocrisy in religious groups is common, prioritizing children's safety rare - and tellingly rarer still among exclusivist groups such as Jehovah's Witnesses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit