Interesting quote from the DC

by GoodGuyGreg 31 Replies latest jw friends

• GoodGuyGreg
    GoodGuyGreg

I don't know if anybody else has mentioned this, but I'm currently at a DC in Sweden, and this morning, during the symposium on different kinds of service, it was mentioned that 40% of baptisms are the result of informal witnessing. If you add the number of baptisms of children of Jw parents to this, how many are left that are baptized as a result of the door-to-door work? Doesn't sound very effective at all...

• cantleave
    cantleave

The D2D work is simply a control mechanism to keep the rank and file busy!

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I'd even question the 40% coming from informal conversion probably another spin.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    it was mentioned that 40% of baptisms are the result of informal witnessing

Rubbish. When I was attending the baptisms I'd say 99 to 100% of the 'candidates(TM)' were born ins.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Punkofnice=I agree with what you are saying. I would say that the majority would be young Borne in kids. Bullshit about the 40%. Bit I do agree that the only increase in the D2D work is angry people.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Off all the converts I've known I can probably count on both hands how many were picked up at the doors. Most were picked up by friends, family, people at work or school or otherwise informally.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Agree with you there to Julia.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

When you look at the growth of religions like the Adventists and Baptists, who have no door-to-door preaching work like JWs, and those religions are growing faster than JWs, it shows D to D has little/if anything to do with gaining converts.

Door to door preaching is WT's "trademark", brand recognition, and as mentioned, a control mechanism. It is a way to hijack huge chunks of a JWs time and resources in order to fool them into thinking they are following god's commands.

1.7 billion hours a year to gain 250,000 converts (and at least 50% of those are born-ins) is a collosal waste of time.

• GoodGuyGreg
    GoodGuyGreg

@Punk:

I don't think the ratio of born-ins is way up there all over the world. But neither do I think that door-to-door service does the org any good other than instilling the sense of differentness into the pubs. As @Julia wrote, I believe almost all outsiders who convert do it because of personally knowing a witness and being witnessed to informally, so that number might not be far from the truth. I just found it pretty intesting that they actually would go and say such a thing and then go on telling the poor audience that it's the door-to-door work that's the important and life-saving one. The speaker obviously didn't think of that statement, and neither did the CO when listening to the rehearsal.

• Think About It
    Think About It

The 40% number is a Watchtower lie. It's probably more like 40% of informal witnessing converts are unstable nutjobs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit