Interesting quote from the DC

by GoodGuyGreg 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Billy the ex-Bethelite - "Back in Russell's day, there were still lots of door-to-door based businesses."

Yeah, that's the real reason for the success of the WTS's proselytizing back then; practically everything was sold or distributed on a door-to-door basis. JWs were good at it.

When the rest of the world moved on to other methods, they stayed with it just to be contrarian and convinced themselves that their previous success was actually due to God's backing.

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

Regarding the D2D/informal witnessing work, they've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time. I comfortable with the 40% claim.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Really? 60%? At an average rate of four thousand hours to convert one individual?

Color me skeptical.

• prologos
    prologos

yeah its stressfull and

it feels so good when its over

again.

Monks used to beat themselfs for the relief they got

before pharmacies made relief it in pill form.

• mindnumbed
    mindnumbed

Perhaps it is an accurate statistic in context. We all know that the Organization doesn't lie, they just get creative with what they say and how they say it. For example, if the quote was "40% of all baptisms throughout the earth are the result of informal witnessing", this would be an outright lie, however, if this were a true statistic in a single area, such as the Dominican Republic for example, the Watchtower would feel as though they were being perfectly honest editing the statistic and letting you, the listener, come to the conclusion on your own that they meant it was a global statistic.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

In the last 6 months I have asked serveral of our new friends if when a JW's came to their door did they know what there message was or purpose? The answer I would always get was " no" or "I thought they was trying to sell me a maz." or " they did not have a clue what they was talking about." When I told them what the message was they was all amazed and did not hear that from any of the JW's. This is one big reason that D2D work does not work. As far as that 40% figure. That's just a bunch of you know what. Totally ADD

• processor
    processor

An average witness in Germany takes roughly 100 years to convert ONE person. (27 million hours for 2600 baptisms, ca. 9 hours/month)

But if 40 % of these are through informal witnessing, so that only 1236 of the 2600 baptisms are through the regular work, it would be be 166 years for an average publisher to convert one person in the regular ministry.

Given that 90 % of the baptized persons are children of witnesses (so that only 10 % are outsiders and 60 % of these 10 % were gathered in the door-to-door work), it would be 1660 years to convert ONE person through the door-to-door ministry.

• prologos
    prologos

yeah, and every single human on earth has

10 [TEN] minutes in Service time allocated to them on average, babies, grandmothers all.

A just god can now deal with them at his pleasure, justice is satified..

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I came in informally. I was interested because I had a Jw friend at high school and the jws were oh so nice, and could answer all my teenage questions. Knowing what I know now, I would have done a helluva lot of independent research. But I was a kid, a kid who craved acceptance. That's probably a big factor in a lot of people's conversion.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Reminds me of my discussion with two elders Christmas day a few years back. I brought up about how JW's are taught only JW's will survive Armageddon. They said it wasn't true. God reads hearts. It isn't up to us to decide. People can hear the message and decide whether or not to accept it. Here's what I told them:

"You mean to tell me that someone is going to be judged based on a door-to-door visit where they turned the magazines down? Put yourself in their shoes. Saturday morning, you are eating breakfast with your family on your day off and two random people come to your door and offer you magazines. You really didn't want to be bothered today so you just said 'Sorry, not interest.' You mean to tell me that you are going to be judged eternally based on that?" All I got was deer in the headlights.

Have you seen some of these people they send door-to-door? If I owned an electronic shop, I wouldn't trust half of them selling TV's let alone trying to sell something as important as the religion that determines your everlasting well-being.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit