Atheism and the delusion of meaning

by Laika 69 Replies latest jw friends

• Giordano
    Giordano

The thing about belief is that each and every god has been silent........always. Like a ventriloquist’s dummy a person has to be able to put the words in it’s mouth for it to be believed. Everything a god has been attributed to have said has come from mankinds imagination. And those beliefs ALWAYS mirror the culture and traditions of whoever dreamed up the god.

The Atheist on the other hand is the opposite of the believer:

To use critical reason, factual evidence.

To always search for objective truth, with the understanding that new knowledge and experience constantly alter our imperfect perception of it.

To have a concern for This life and a commmitment to making it meaningful through better understanding of ourselves, our history, our interllectual and artistic achievements, and those who differ from us.

To search for viable individual, social and political principles of ethical conduct, judging them on their ability to enhance human well-being and individual responsibility.

To have an interest in securing justice and fairness in society and in eliminating discrimination and intolerance.

That with reason, an open exchange of ideas, good will and tolerance, progress can be made in building a better world for ourselves, and our children.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." -Albert Einstein

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Laika you have your debate, just as you wished. The problem is your premise is flawed. I will not attack you or a straw man. I will attack your halfway thought out statements.

As has been mentioned here several times already, an Atheist's life has whatever meaning he or she makes it to have. If I want to spend my life collecting smurf dolls, I can do so. If I want to spend it feeding hungry people on the other side of the world, I can. Do you know why? It's because I've never even wondered if I can do something that can affect the universe. I don't care! Why should I? Can you, the believer do something that can have an effect on th universe? No. As I said before, even if there is a creator, what can you do for him? Listen to his chosen men who interpret his riddle book? Even if you could talk to god directly and everyday he had instructions for you. You followed those to a tee EVERY day of your life. You still haven't done anything to affect the universe. I don't know why you keep talking about that... Am I missing something?

I can add something to your flawed world view, it may help. A "good" Atheist's goals in life should and will likely be BETTERMENT. Be that betterment of himself, betterment of his family, betterment of humanity.. Whatever. He is not trying to please a sky daddy who won't return his calls, or waiting for him to solve man's problems.

You must agree that today, man's situation is better than ever. There's significantly less crime, less violence, less wars, we have ways to fight disease... The list goes on. While we to have new challenges to face, we are more prepared to take them on than ever. List today's great thinkers. The men and women who are working to cure diseases, help solve hunger, and making the decisions that will determine humanity's near and distant future. If you were to ask each person on that list about their beliefs, you WOULD find that the great majority of them are Atheists. That's not Satans work, that's being informed winning over ignorance. Hopefully every generation after this one is a little bit less religious, and more reasonable.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

EP: Beautiful woman exist, so the fact you want sex with them is consistent with your universe. ;)

We live in the same universe. Therefore, the fact that you want to believe in God is consistent with a universe that exists where people want to believe in God. That is all that it means. Nothing. It doesn't mean anything or say anything about the validity of your belief which, thus far, has zero evidence supporting it.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I used to think that if I stopped believing and putting full faith in WT and the Bible, my life would lose meaning and I'd curl up in a wad of depression. After all, that's what my JW training had told me to expect, that without them there'd be no point to even continue living.

However, I found it to be quite the contrary. The meaning of my life was no longer to slave for a religio-publishing corporation. Basically, I was postponing living my life until the arrival of a promised panda-petting paradise... the same thing that had been promised to my grandparents, now all deceased. I no longer need some ancient book of fables and some paid preacher (or JW janitor) to tell me "truthz" that I dare not question nor examine too closely. Just because I haven't bought into some particular story about what happens after I die, doesn't mean I should quit living now. Similarly, I don't know exactly everything that I'll be learning in class next semester, but that's the reason that I'll be going.

If anyone feels that the only way that they can continue living is by believing that the Flying Spaghetti Monster will reward their good behavior with the rapture to a pasta paradise after death, so be it. But if you think that I should have no purpose, meaning, or enjoyment in life because I don't worship noodles, you don't know me at all.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Well said Billy!

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Billy: If anyone feels that the only way that they can continue living is by believing that the Flying Spaghetti Monster will reward their good behavior with the rapture to a pasta paradise after death, so be it.

--

Believing in the FSM is silly.

I converted to the Reformed Church of Alfredo.

Until I embraced the superior ways of His Divine Sauciness, my life had no meaning. Now that I'm guided by the Ten Commandments of Parmesan, I feel I can truly enjoy life. I now have purpose.

How can anyone find any real meaning in life without Alfredo? Impossible I say!!

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

ADCMS: " Believing in the FSM is silly.

I converted to the Reformed Church of Alfredo. "

APOSTATE!!!! In the afterlife, you will boil in marinara for eternity!

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

APOSTATE!!!! In the afterlife, you will boil in marinara for eternity!

Sounds delicious! Join me?

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

ADCMS: " Sounds delicious! Join me? "

Sure! If there is an afterlife, there are worse ways to go than marinara. With parmesan added, of course.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit