Atheism and the delusion of meaning

by Laika 69 Replies latest jw friends

• Healthworker
    Healthworker

You are right on, Laika!

Many atheists are deluded! They have made meaning out of the pointless. Worse - they believe their own lies.

Loved the way you explained your points. Just great! KUDOS!

Love Healthworker

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Lisarose,

I am genuinely pleased you are pursuing your passions, seriously, good for you! But if atheists are right it really doesn't matter whether you leave the dying world a better place or not.counp

Don't be ridiculous, that is not how any atheist thinks, nor is it reality. It makes all the difference if you don't believe God will fix everything. As Dr. Phil says, the best prediction of future behaviour is past behavior. God has, to date, fixed nothing, obviously he never will. If he exists, he is certainly not involved in the affairs of man. I want to leave this world a better place for my children and grandchildren, and for all mankind. I can't fix the wrongs in the world, only the little bit of it that I have influence over. Unless you are Mother Theresa or Nelson Mandela, that is all you ever can do. But it is certainly more than those who wait on God to do something. I have no problem with faith in God if it motivates you to do more for your fellow man, but if it makes you sit in judgement of those who don't believe your brand of intolerance, well count me out. I know many Athiests, my son included. He is as moral and goid as any Chistian, actually more so.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Laika: Then you got the wrong impression. My argument is that most atheists do not live consistently with their beliefs, I know they assign meaning and value to their lives, but if they were being honest with what their worldview means then they wouldn't.

---

Laika, you explained an absurd statement with an even more absurd statement.

And...I didn't get the wrong impression. Your follow-up comment verified that I was spot on.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Why is it that rabid believers are ALWAYS such pompous asses? Even if they agree that they don't know shite, they somehow feel that their fantasy world entitles them to condescend to those who don't buy in.

• Laika
    Laika

I guess my last paragraph in my OP ruined this thread...I wanted a debate on meaning in atheism but instead most of my responses seem to be people I just pissed off.

I'm new to Internet debate. You live and learn. Maybe I'll try again some day.

Sorry guys.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

"Life is without meaning. You bring the meaning to it. The meaning of life is whatever you ascribe it to be. Being alive is the meaning." Joseph Campbell

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Laika For most of human history, humans have been too busy surviving to analyze the purpose of the universe. The problem began when humans developed an ego that could not accept its own demise and was unable to accept that life is not all about ourself.

Life is the present moment. The present moment is all there is and all there ever will be until the end of time in this universe. Perhaps there are other universes that are just starting. We enjoy our moment in the sun along with some suffering and then we die of old age, like every other living thing in the world. Eventually even the stars will burn out.

Accept what IS and cherish the fact that, at almost impossible odds, you made it on to planet earth, if only for a brief moment. In truth, who really wants to live forever?

• designs
    designs

Reproduction is part of the cake, from the amoeba that splits in two to the fertilized egg we once were- it forms part of the meaning of existence.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Laika: I guess my last paragraph in my OP ruined this thread...I wanted a debate on meaning in atheism but instead most of my responses seem to be people I just pissed off.

---

FYI- when you post a topic or add to one here, when you make statements like "most" atheists are being "dishonest", it will not go well for you. For one, you don't know "most" atheists, so you cannot speak for them, and two, questioning someone's "honesty" because of what they believe or do is stupid, because in essence what you did is start this thread by accusing atheists of being liars.

Desire to debate anything seemed to have little to do with your topic. Instead, you made sweeping generalizations with no corroborative evidence to back it up, you labelled people as dishonest before your "debate" ever began, and then you argued against almost everyone that offered counter-points to your baseless statements.

Why not be an observer on JWN for a while, and read more threads. You'll see what real debates are, and maybe you can get a better perspective on varying views BEFORE you dive in with wild assertions.

If you want to know why your comments have garnered the responses they have, look at the post above your last comment by Beregaria. It succinctly sums up the cause of the negative reaction you've experienced:

Why is it that rabid believers are ALWAYS such pompous asses? Even if they agree that they don't know shite, they somehow feel that their fantasy world entitles them to condescend to those who don't buy in.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Incidentally, Healthworker, when you posted this comment:

You are right on, Laika!

Many atheists are deluded! They have made meaning out of the pointless. Worse - they believe their own lies.

You do realize you've described religious people, don't you? I know you are probably 100% convinced your delusions are real, but you have no basis (evidence) to prove your claims/beliefs, as much as you may think so.

At least atheists require some kind of evidence before accepting something as valid, and when no evidence can be produced, they decide to not believe. The religious require no evidence, and simply believe in unprovable fantasies because it feels good. Feelings seem to be the only necessary requirement for accepting absurdities to the religiously devoted, as logic will quickly decimate most of them with little effort.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit