Chess ban is still a current teaching

by zound 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

Do jws avoid watching sports? Or do they have their favorite team even running out to their vehicles to listen to the game when it occurs during an assembly/convention/meeting? (I have see even elders do this) Or the elders and others that have a special room and tv decorated with their team's colors? Or the elder who drove up to the KH during the CO's visit with the flags of his team hanging off his car windows. The CO was not amused. The elder just took them off until the CO left. People who know all the names of the teams, coaches, players, but not the names of the 66 books of the bible, writers, where written.

*** w09 7/1 pp. 25-26 The Bible Changes Lives ***

For example, I learned from Psalm 11:5 that Jehovah hates violence. So I stopped watching TV programs that glorified violence and hatred. And with great difficulty, I gave up violent sports. The principle at 1 Corinthians 15:33 helped me to see that those I chose to associate with would have a big effect on me. The fact that I had ended up in prison was proof of that principle. So I decided to stop associating with those whose lives revolved around violent sports.

*** w07 7/15 p. 12 “Wisdom Is for a Protection” ***

Can violence exercise its seductive power over true worshippers? Many individuals today have been seduced into ‘scheming up intrigues.’ They promote or perpetrate acts of violence. We may not find it difficult to stay clear of such direct participation in violence. But what about being lured into it by subtle means? Have not millions of people been enticed into enjoying entertainment or sports that glorify violence? The Scriptural warning is clear: “He that is walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly.” (Proverbs 13:20) What protection godly wisdom affords!

*** w04 5/1 p. 12 par. 17 Be Courageous Like Jeremiah ***

If Paul were alive on earth today, what do you think he would say to a Christian who watched immoral or violent movies or violent sports?

*** w02 8/15 p. 29 Do You Remember? ***

The violent and deadly gladiatorial events of the Roman Empire have been compared to what modern spectator sports?

A recent exhibit in the Colosseum in Rome, Italy, suggested modern parallels by including video clips of bullfighting, professional boxing, auto and motorcycle races, and spectator fights at other modern sports events. Early Christians took to heart that Jehovah does not love violence or violent ones, and neither should Christians today. (Psalm 11:5)—6/15, page 29.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Oh man back when we studied the Keep Yourself In God's Love book, there's a section where it basically says don't watch violent sports. The conductor, a huge college football fan, asks after reading the lines, "What sport does this sound like?" Someone said football. He quickly replied, "What about hockey?"

This was hilarious because it was clearly talking about football. It's amazing how elders (and anyone really) can give themselves a free pass while judging what others like or do.

• Shador
    Shador

On the few occasions where I have worked in service with the PO COBE and the Service Oversneer, the two of them talked about nothing but sports all day.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Yup. Around here everyone is reallllllllly into college and pro football.

• goatshapeddemon
    goatshapeddemon

Funny you bring up football. I fully expected Gerrit to rail on football again, but he did not. The farthest he came today was talking about people sending way too much time on sports.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Something funny about him....

He's known for sunbathing in a speedo on the roof of the Bethel Home. Strange considering that sisters aren't supposed to wear revealing bathing suits. Go go sexist double standard.

• goatshapeddemon
    goatshapeddemon

I've heard that too! Around here they call him Bro Speedo.

eww.

isnt that what greenlees / chitty used to do?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Chess is crap!

There, I said it

• dgp
    dgp

Why is chess bad but a Kingdom isn't?

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Damn, that's why I fidn't learn chess! Let alone learn about sports. My Mom took all of this stuff super serious. I learning now how to play chess and sports, particularly following sports. Those competitive teams with fierce names like the Lions....

Isaac

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit