Chess ban is still a current teaching

by zound 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zound
  • Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Lois, there's a whole new generation of people in the Ministry of Truth writing department so they probably wouldn't even have known chess was banned.

• sspo
    sspo

How about playing cards and playing for pennies and dimes.......it can turn you into a gambler.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

I have to say, it has not been banned in recent decades or a DF offense.. I know people who have been playing chess for decades and everybody knows (I'm not exactly part of their closest friends and I've known for years).. Most just take such 'counsel' and do what they like. My point is, chess isn't banned really..

• zound
    zound

The point is that the GB made these ridiculous statements, but instead of saying, sorry we were wrong about that, play chess if you want to play chess - they just let it slide into the past without any kind of apology or rectification. How ridiculous would it sound if they published an article saying "We used to say that Chess was evil, but the new light is that it is fine."

They've just let this embarrassing man made opinion slide into the past and hope no one notices - like all the other stupid things they've said.

Zero accountability.

I imagine this was some bugbear of Fred Franz or someone who slipped it in. JW's ignored it mostly anyway so they thought "Ah, we'll give em that one." I think there may have been quite a dissent if brothers started getting Disfellowshipped for playing chess.

• zeb
    zeb

Lois. ..they should "pass Go and not collect $200 and go directly to jail"

• besty
    besty

An elder took my Dad aside and counselled him because it was known my brother and I were playing chess, based on that 1973 Awake

Circa 1980.

I could speculate on what motivated that newly appointed janitor elder to give such counsel.

• 5go
    5go

Honestly just about all the old stuff that was banned before is now a conscience matter which means it's a grey area and the last talk I heard on conscience matters is a True Christian™ (JW) might as well not do them to avoid stumbling someone. The speaker pretty boldy said grey areas are not really grey they are tainted things and True Christians™ (JWs) avoid tainted things. So you might as well say their lightening the load was a smoke and mirriors campaign. That by the way also includes blood fractions as they are considered a grey area he didn't mention that though.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

When I was a kid in the 60's I was becoming a pretty good chess player. The one day a CO found out I played chess and that was it. He told my parents that chess teaches us about war and war is bad. Why would you want your child to learn about war. So I was forbidden to play chess anymore. Looking back it was OK for me to watch the evening news. As we all know for those alive then all that was on the news was the horrors of the Vet. War. So the moral of the story is chess teaches war. Nightly News does not. Totally ADD

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    LoisLane looking for Superman: Doesn't ANYBODY ever call them out on their busy body blathering?

Yes, and they are all summarily disfellowshipped: Listen, Obey and Be Blessed!

The whole freakin' thing is a game. The GB make the rules, change them whenever it suits them. It's their board and they own the pieces too. Behave and they'll let you play, ask questions, express doubts or disagree and it's: Game Over.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit