Chess ban is still a current teaching

by zound 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zound
    zound

Goatshapeddemons mention of Chess being banned by JW's at one time was a new one to me. It got me thinking. They never corrected that did they? There hasn't been 'new light' on the subject? So technically it still is banned. As well as the countless other ridiculous opinion based articles that have never been given the 'new light' treatment.

So would this (technically) be considered a current teaching?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/141269/1/Playing-Chess-is-evil-not-for-Witnesses-Awake-1973

And here is an excert from the Walsh trial that kind of illustrates my point:

Q. How does one now joining Jehovah's Witnesses, and reading this erroneous view of Judge Rutherford's know that it is now regarded as erroneous? ?
    A. Because he keeps up with the latest expositions and the latest publications in bound book form.

Q. But there is no latest or recent publication of the Society which brings to the notice of the Witnesses that that view held by Judge Rutherford is wrong?
    A. The explanations given show that there is a different understanding of the matter to-day.

Q. Where upon that particular point does the adherent to the society find any enlightenment?
    A. In the publications that he reads.

Q. Must he read all of them to arrive at the fact that upon this one point Judge Rutherford was in error?
    A. It isn't necessary for him to read that Judge Rutherford is in error on that point. What he is interested in is in the present truth, the up-to-date truth.

Q. Yesterday's errors cease to be published do they?
    A. Yes, we correct ourselves.

Q. But not always expressly?
    A. We correct ourselves as it becomes due to make a correction, and if anything is under study we make no statement of it until we are certain.

Oh well maybe whether chess is evil or not has just been under study these last 40 years - my mistake. I'm sure we'll have some new light about it before long.
    ps. Does anyone have a copy of the entire Chess article they could post up here?

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Monopoly should be banned too. It promotes a spirit of greed and encourages the brothers to put faith in this system ie buying properties and building houses rather than storing up treasures in heaven by pioneering.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

I really loved playing chess until that article came out.

They were also down on ear piercing (of the one hole per ear type) until the early '70's, the same with wind chimes. "Wind chimes, in some country's (quote) are put out to chase the devil away, so a discerning person would not want to stumble someone who believes that, so would restrain themselves from putting up wind chimes by their front door or in their garden." What utter BS.

Funny they have never said anything about not getting tattoos. Being so bossy and opinionated and loving to stick their noses in everybody's business, I am surprised they haven't mentioned this in the latest "nulite" from god.

Just Lois

• zound
  • Shador
    Shador
    Goatshapeddemons mention of Chess being banned by JW's at one time was a new one to me. It got me thinking. They never corrected that did they? There hasn't been 'new light' on the subject?

Check the June 1, 2013 WT - page 7. A witness family is shown playing chess together.

LOL! it gets better. WT cautions against playing Pacman

In all fairness, that was less about the game itself and more about the (supposed) environment of arcades as well as the possibility of gaming addiction (which was and is still a real problem).

Julia...That would be a great thread.

"What does the Governing Body do at Governing Body member's meetings"?

I know - I know. They play Monoplopy.

And, when they pass GO, they always collect our donated $200.00. lol

Just Lois

• zound
    zound

So would the picture be enough to be classified as clarifying this old teaching?

• Julia Orwell

Zound...I just checked the Watchtower. June 1st 2013 page 7 just like you said. There is a family, and mom and dad are playing CHESS. What???

So now that it is back in the Watchtower, does that mean...it wasn't evil to play this game? I wonder if anyone got DF for having a chess set out on their coffee table or invited an Elder to play with them?

I got rid of my chess set a long time ago. I wonder how they snuck that faux pas back in. The condemning article was more than 40 years ago. I guess they just waited until they thought there was enough water under the bridge or everyone had died.

Doesn't ANYBODY ever call them out on their busy body blathering?

I have missed over 40 years of a pleasurable pass time. Thanz GB busy bodies. Who think they know it all, but they don't, but they do, it's called, "It's My Game And I Will Change The Rules Whenever I Want To".

Just Lois

• zound
    zound

Found the full article. Sounds just as crazy in full context.

http://www.quotes-watchtower.co.uk/chess.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit