Evolution is Crap, there I said it!

by Crazyguy 261 Replies latest jw friends

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

A person who does not understand mathematics might say "Math is crap." And at the end of the day, math still works, and those that accomplish great things by understanding and mathematics are rewarded, and those who don't understand or dismiss it are still subject to it.

Gene theory, genetic drift and mutations, evolution by natural selection... these theories are tools that the most successful biologists use to make better predictions and further our understanding of how life works.

Are you a biologist or a student working to enter the field? If not, then your conclusion s rather like hearing someone who's never cooked before suggest "kitchen knives are crap". Or someone who's never framed a house before conclude that "nail-guns are crap". You just have to roll your eyes. Evolution as a theory is a tool that biologists use to make better, more accurate predictions about life on this planet.

At the end of the day, we live in a world filled with an unfathomable array of diverse creatures - where those who take the time to learn and understand biology can accomplish great things and be rewarded, and those who don't understand or dismiss it are still subject to it.

- Lime

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

http://www.evolutionnews.org/

The scientists publish a lot of their evolution-challenge articles here.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Crazyguy, I once believed that evolution was an idea adopted and promoted by atheists to justify their non belief in a deity and was a lie created by Satan to deceive them.

Monkeys are still monkeys aren't they? *Hides face in shame*

After a bit more research I think you will be very embarrassed by this thread but don't sweat it cos many of us have been there done that and got the t.shirt. (((hugs)))

• Captain Blithering
    Captain Blithering

@amelia Ashton, that's the kindest response yet. There's no sense in verbally attacking someone for their opinion even if attacked.. Be reasonable and youre more likely to get an actual discussion going with someone who might LISTEN. Isn't that what this forum is for?

• cofty
    cofty

Crazyguy - I have never read so many ill-informed opinions in one thread.

There is no possibility of helping you until you decide you actually want to know the answers. Many of us could thoroughly answer every one of your objections but you are not listening.

Here are some suggestions for your reading list.

"The making of the fittest" by Sean B Carroll

"Evolution, what the fossils say" by Donald Prothero

"Why Evolution is true" by Jerry Coyne

"Your Inner Fish" by Neil Shubin

"The Greatest Show on Earth" by Dawkins (summary of some of it here)

"Life Ascending" by Nick Lane

"The Common Ancestry Thread"

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

"Signature in the Cell" by Steven Meyer is a good one.

"Darwin's Black Box" and "Edge of Evolution" by Michael Behe

I didn't much care for "Greatest Show on Earth." I think it's because I don't like Richard Dawkins as a person.

This is interesting for those who would look at intelligent design:

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2013/05/from_discoverin_2072481.html

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Julia - if humans were designed we would not function as we do. We would not have lost our vitamin creating ability, our sense of smell would not have been reduced, our dna would not contain copy errors, genes would be more neatly arranged,our chomosone 2 would not be a fusion between two chromosones with the the telomeres fusion point recorded for all to see midway through the chromosone etc. Design shows economy of effort to achieve specified purpose. All life shows the hallmarks of evolutionary adaptation to changing pressures rather than design to meet unchanging requirements.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I'm open to all possibilities. I definitely see how animals can and have to adapt. It will be interesting to see what more scientists will discover. But how do they know the sense of smell has been reduced? I don't mean to be contentious, I really find that interesting. My sense of smell isn't that good so I get my husband to sniff iffy things from the fridge to see if they have to be thrown out. Maybe I'm more evolved than him...

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Hi Julia - here is a good explanation of losing our sense of smell. I like the suggested idea that since we walk upright we have less need of a close ground smelling sensory organ.

http://evoanth.wordpress.com/2012/11/15/our-sense-of-smell-is-devolving/

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I'll have a squizz at it tomorrow as it's getting late. I do tend towards ID theory, but I wouldn't be very intellectually honest if I didn't consider all sides and arguments. That too goes for evolution-as-random-natural-selection-process advocates: I think they should consider what is going on in the ID field, if only to have full intellectual honesty and to know what 'tune the devil is playing'. It's a very JW thing just to look at one side of a matter. Not accusing anyone here, just typing this internal monologue as it plays through my mind. I love the open debate we can have here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit