OK so if the Bible is crap??

by Crazyguy 52 Replies latest jw friends

• cantleave
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Look I did not start this thread to debate Evolution merely to take that idea out of the picture and ask, If one does not believe the bible as Gods word then what if any other plausible ideas are there for why we are here etc.

• Shador
    Shador
    If one does not believe the bible as Gods word then what if any other plausible ideas are there for why we are here etc.

Evolution.

Oh, but you excluded that.

Then... none.

Which means you are not here. So please go ahead and be not here.

Retard.

• DJS
    DJS

I don't understand why some continue to ask what else is there if the Bible or Christianity isn't the answer. Life. Living. Thinking. Enjoying. The same things we did when we believed in the god of the Bible, only we can do these things in a much more fulfiling manner with Freedom of thought and action without worrying about a carrot and stick vengeful god who will destroy us forever if we don't believe in the 21st Century interpretation of a book written thousands of years ago. Which, by the way, has a multitude of ever changing interpretations, even by those who claim special knowledge. Geesh. This makes evolution make more and more sense.

Look at it this way. If the god of the Bible did make the universe and everything in it and has that much power and awesomeness and then the BEST HE COULD DO as far as giving us a little bit of decent advice is the Bible? Really?

• jgnat
    jgnat

First of all, the bible is not crap. It's a compilation of literature, history, poetry, legends, laws, prophecies, parables and aphorisms spanning a considerable period of time. Portions of it have been used as the foundation of three major religions. Is it a devinely inspired manual for living, perfect and flawless, never to be superseded? That's going too far.

Second of all, perfect your method of evaluating evidence and theories. Has the theory led to the generation of unique experiments to validate or invalidate the theory? How did those experiments pan out? Were the results published, repeated, peer reviewed?

I think we need a new origin story. Here's a lively one:

The Great Human Migration

• cantleave
    cantleave

I did not start this thread to debate Evolution merely to take that idea out of the picture

How can you take the fact of evolution out of the question you asked?

You specifically created a fallacy in your question when you siad that evolution is a debatable theory, that fallcy has to be addressed. Do you not know how to debate? If you raise a point in your question it is open to debate.

• never a jw
    never a jw

I don't think the Bible is crap. It's a great book in the context of the time it was written. The crap starts flowing when people want to make literal interpretations of stories that have been disproven beyond any doubt such as those in Genesis. It was Bennedict Spinoza in the 1,600's one of the first to warn against the literal interpretation of many of the Bible stories. The crappy part is to have people 400 years later still making literal interpretations of Genesis. The crappy part is to hear people who hardly finished High School pretend to know better than scientists with advanced degrees and many years of research. The crappy part is to hear that the biggest, in fact the only "evidence", against evolution is a story written about 2,700 years ago, at a time when superstition was the order of the day. I surmise your grades in Biology were not that great. I suggest you grab some biology books and start learning about the real world.

I could, for the sake of argument, admit God's existance, but the inerrancy of the Bible, Hell NO!!!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

A lot of people who do realise the fact of Evolution, and how the Scientific Theory of Evolution has stood against all opposition and scrutiny for 150 years or more still approach it with some wrong attitudes.

For example, they feel that Evolution has a"purpose", and that we are, as Humans at the top of some purposful "Tree". Hence they ask wrong questions like "why do we not find half-ape half-humans now " etc

I spent over five decades believing rubbish and lies as promulgated by the WT.

When I left I decided I would demand solid, testable evidence for anything I was going to trust as true, I would lead an evidence based life, hence I do not "Believe". Belief in this sense is trusting that something is true with no proper evidence, i.e to be deluded.

It takes effort to educate yourself, but I recommend you do Crazyguy, you will be much happier when you know what is true and what is not, and how to determine that.

Tater T posted this on another threade, I think it is pertinent:

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Well said jgnat.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

God made a Paradise with a talking snake. A global flood wipes it all out. People started to build mega cities so God invented diffrent languages to spread them out...does that sound like crap or not?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit