OK so if the Bible is crap??

by Crazyguy 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

Even being born into and raised a JW I found it difficult to believe in creationism once I learned how to read. I tried over the younger years of my life to postulate thought experiments that would lend credance to creationism and discount evolution. After being cloaked in the comfortable lies of the WTS I wanted so much to believe in intelligent design that I went through the motions and got baptised to please my parents. I just could'nt discount the logic of Darwin's explanation in the end, even if it meant that me and everyone I know will die.

The Hebrew scriptures do hold some sage advice though. The evolution of the old Mosaic Law preserved people before much was known about modern science. I am sure that over time many of those ancient people that did not practice it did not fair as well as the jewish people did and the human brain always seeking purpose and meaning attributed the law as being from god. The fact is the survivorability of the mosaic law is in effect a testament to the survival of the fittest principal. I have no way of knowing how many civilizations or ancient tribes died out succumbing to natural hazards.

• Heaven
    Heaven

The problem for me regarding the Bible is that as a child I was taught it to be the inerrant word of God. I was then manoeuvered through this book to serve the agenda of a religion.

Then I grew up and learned many factual things, the a lot of the 'truth' of the Bible was proven false.

So this is how I came to view "The Bible is crap."

But really, it is just a collection of stories. There are some tidbits of truth in the Bible. There is a lot of fantasy, some history. For those of us who were taught it's the inerrant word of God, we must sift through it to determine what tidbits align with evidence. What's leftover can only be attributed to myth.

Evidence is key to ensuring you're not suckered in again.

• punkofnice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit