What on earth happened to the magazines?

by slimboyfat 73 Replies latest watchtower bible

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

They are changing with the times, the younger generation will barely pickup a book or magazine to read these days. In the U.S more and more people have tablets, Kindle's, Nooks, etc. Granted they have taken it a bit far but I think that's largely a financial issue (saving for Warwick, etc.).

The bullet point thing is also an attempt to simplify as people will especially not waste time reading a religious periodical. Times are changing, so much for Jehovah never changes.

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

Coming up soon (Sep/Oct), the WT & Awake will be bundled into one 32 page magazine. Will it be counted by the R&F as a one or two magazine placement(s)?

I guess for an answer they will have to wait on the Our Kingdom Ministry discussing it in detail, complete with audience participation and on stage demonstrations.

• Shador
    Shador

Coming up soon (Sep/Oct), the WT & Awake will be bundled into one 32 page magazine.

What I was told by the Service Oversneer (I'm the ragazine serpent in my cong), was that they were just changing the "nesting" - so instead of 2 awakes nested together and 2 WTs nested together, it would be an awake nested in a WT.

I'm surprised it took them a year to figure that one out.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    smiddy - "If even half of what is spoken here is true, their not going to gain any converts with half a brain, so the end result can only mean more people leaving, less people joining, and a continual decline in membership. And those who are left with half a brain can make more silly, ludicrous, new light revelations, that keeps the spiral on a downward trend. Keep it up WTB&TS. Your doing us (apostates ) a favour."

Like I've been saying, I think they're doing it on purpose to pare the R&F down to a more manageable level.

Better to have only 2-3million hardcore followers that can still support HQ, than 7-8 million who are - for all intents and purposes - WINOs ("Witnesses in Name Only").

• cantleave
    cantleave

If you discourage a college education you have to ensure that you dumb down your message.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Better to have only 2-3million hardcore followers that can still support HQ, than 7-8 million who are - for all intents and purposes - WINOs ("Witnesses in Name Only").

Vidiot

WINO`s ,I love that

smiddy

• factfinder
    factfinder

A thing to consider regarding having less material in the magazines is that the society wants to get their literature translated into as many languages as possible to reach the most people or make publications available to all who wish to read it regardless of their language. We cannot really imagine the workload they are under in translating literature into over 600 languages.

The magazines have to reach all congs the same week in 239 lands. It does speed up translation efforts by having less material in the magazines to translate.

The w is in 209 languages simultaneosly, g is in 99 langs. Each week over 100 different magazines must be prepared.

The thinner issues make it easier to get the translation done faster and also may incline more people to read the entire issue .

The study w still contains the full amount of study material for the month.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

While I was still in, I wondered about the simple, "meatless" fare they were dishing up. Not long after that, an article came out that explained it. The GB is only responsible to offer newbies basic truths. However, Corinthians remind us that if you build with flammable materials your house is going to go up in flames. Today I have a new WT. It's called Time Magazine. It's much more informative and up-to-date.

• tiki
    tiki

Sapphy - I love your "Random Scripture missapplied 19:14-19" GOOD one! Those mags are a waste of natural resources.

• factfinder
    factfinder

I enjoy reading The Watchtower and Awake! I have been doing so for nearly 37 years. I also read Time , Reader's Digest and Reminisce. You don't have to agree with everything written in these magazines. This site has too much negativity towards wt publications.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit