What on earth happened to the magazines?

by slimboyfat 73 Replies latest watchtower bible

• poppers
    poppers

I guess reading it won't equate to a college education anymore. Maybe an associate's degree, but that's it.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The Watchtower Corporation has run out of Bullshit to say.

That and why not keep the cost of printing to a bare minimum.

I personally think the Awake and Watchtower will be eventually dropped as a means to wash away old doctrines that failed,

which were really contrived marketing schemes . There's only so much milk you can get from one cow.

• Shador
    Shador
    I guess reading it won't equate to a college education anymore. Maybe an associate's degree, but that's it.

You'd be lucky to get a GED of that colorful scrap.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I completely agree with what steve2 had to say about the quality of WTS publications. But the Society is not alone in “dumbing down” its reading material. That trend can be seen throughout the publishing world.

Have you seen the textbooks used in schools these days? As a public schoolteacher I certainly have. Many of them have pages that are 50% pictures, 20% “teaching boxes” and 30% actual text. The reading comprehension of many students is low and their writing skills are quite bad as well. The introduction of notebook computers and the Internet into the classroom has allowed students access to unlimited information, but they don’t know how to make use of it. As for their elders, many of them can’t make heads or tails out of sophisticated reading material either.

This is no new trend. For many years it has been said, “Life magazine is for people who can’t read and Time magazine is for people who can’t think.” I’ve always despised both Time magazine and the hacks who have written for it. They write with all the sophistication of a ten-year-old, and most of the magazine’s glossy pages are filled in with large photographs that don’t leave much room for written text. And it is indeed distressing to see magazines like National Geographic descending into that same abyss.

I can remember the time when both The Watchtower and Awake! had a writing style that would require a solid high school education to read them. That is no longer the case because the quality of their readership has declined. If the magazines (and other publications) were written the same way they were forty years ago, the WTS would find its message falling on blind eyes and deaf ears.

Quendi

• Satanus
    Satanus

They should be coming out w their own research to combat the ever growing evidence for evolution. While evolutionary evidence piles up, wt creationist evidence, false evidence, is as meagre as it ever was.

S

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Satanus,

They should be coming out w their own research to combat the ever growing evidence for evolution. While evolutionary evidence piles up, wt creationist evidence, false evidence, is as meagre as it ever was.

Amen!

Cheers,

-Randy

• factfinder
    factfinder

It takes getting used to how thin the magazines are but they are more concise and to the point. I read the entire issues now. The deep spiritual food is in the study edition of The Watchtower and I like the new format. I also like the new format for the yb.

Alot of magazines are putting more content on their website. I have been reading the w & g for almost 37 years but rarely read through each entire issue of Awake! but I do now.

I gave up meetings almost 8 years ago but am thinking of going back to see what it is like.

The thinner magazines are concise, to the point and easier to read. With my poor eyesight this is a blessing and I read them all now.

• scary21
    scary21

The JW's are on a low-cal diet

NO MEAT........Just a few crumbs.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I read my first 16 page one the other day, and was also shocked at how quickly I got to the end. Even Watching the World, my favourite part as a kid, only has 5 snippets, yet fills a whole page.

I thought the reason was that they are providing the other half interactively online. Yet there was no real links in the article. The June issue just directs the reader to the Bible Stories book online, not to any unique information as part of this particular issue. They are getting lazy. It has gone from 64 pages to 16 half filled pages. Yet, with the internet, it is now a lot easier to find interesting world events that the Awake used to be full of.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

haha. I found them quite funny actually. They look like some weird cartoon attempt. The graphics are really different. I didn't bother to read any text, just looked at the pictures. Quite interesting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit