Stop calling Britain, England.

by sleepy 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Lesley
    Lesley

Expatbrit,

Yes, as far as I know. It would be too much to ask, for Milton Keynes to have real cows!

I really shouldn't say negative things about the place cos a lot of my family live there.....

but I was glad to move!

• COMF
    COMF

So do we have to start calling E "Britishman"?

• LDH
    LDH

Nemesis,

I was busting your chops. Hence the "LOL."

If I ever decide to skin you for real, I'll try to give you a warning.

Lisa

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Well, it seems that we've all got things to learn about each others' countries.

So Americans aren't Yanks? If so, I stand corrected. It's not too old to learn, eh?

Englishmen should be called Britishman? No, no, no. It would be Briton.

It should be pointed out that Wales and Scotland are separate countries with their own languages. Scotland has its own currency and parliament. Refer to a Scot as an Englishman and you're in trouble!

Now while we're about it, Australia IS NOT AUSTRIA! OK?

And while we're about it, New Zealand is a separate country hundreds of kilometres (thousands?) over the ocean from Australia. OK?

Good, I'm glad we got that sorted.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• Amazing
    Amazing

I always think of Great Britain as United Kingdom or Britain and consider England to be the largest portion of the country south of Scotland and east of Wales. I think Americans often confuse this because England is the largest part of the country, and Wales and Scotland are not often mentioned. But ... comparing this to someone calling the USA, New York? I don't know about that.

Some non-Americans refer to the USA as Washington ... but even this conparison is understandable. But, rest assured, I will not call the UK England ... given that merry ole England is the land of my heritage. Someday, I will tell you about my Castle in England.

Following Bible principles, we will avoid trying to live - or demand others to live - by an extensive and rigid set of dos and don'ts that go beyond the teachings of the Bible. The Watchtower, 4-15-02, pg 22, pp 15

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I speak 100 percent English does that count??

• Englishman
    Englishman

Amazing,

Enlightenment, grasshopper! You have it correct sir.

Englishman.

• Klaus Vollmer
    Klaus Vollmer

when the Angeln and the Saxons shipped over to the island they sent the celtic ones into the welsh land and imported their German origins like war behavior, braveness and drinking
    Later came the Wikings in the coat of the Normanns, importing their desire to rule the world.
    the celtics disappeared only some lithos are standing like in stonehenge.
    and from the German - Norman tribes their resurrected the demand "rule Britannia" with the lovely tradition of the House of Sachsen Coburg, today named Windsor.
    Oh yes, the island is a lovely paradise for those who like the greatness of Victoria, the energy from Churchill and the horny living from the roayls.
    But I like them all - in their natural being and their example of standing. what pretty nice thing that the nazis have lost their war by the standing of uk. europe is gratefull

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I tend to use English or England when refering to myself as it's what I am, English. I'm a quarter Welsh, but never lived there. I was conceieved in Naples, Italy, but never lived there. English is as English does.

Besides, nowadays you have some Scots or Welsh (or Cornish) person yelling (rightfully) "Don't make statements about Britain or the British when you mean England or the English, we're not English!" if you get careless.

When I was talking about the Royal Family the other day, I puposefully talked about England, as more Scots have Republican aspirations than English people, from what I understand, and half of Northern Ireland would love to be a Republic, so it wouldn;t be accurate to refer to Great Britain or the UK.

• Sirona
    Sirona

I live in England, between Manchester and Liverpool. My boyfriend is Scottish and HATES people saying "England" all the time when referring to the UK.

Sirona

** http://www.religioustolerance.org **

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit