Stop calling Britain, England.

by sleepy 46 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

Just a small request to you all.
    Britian is not England.
    England is a part of Britian, as is Wales, Scotland .A lot of what you may think is English is in fact Welsh or Scotish.
    It is like me refering to the USA as New York .

If this carries on i'll have no other choice but to call the USA Canada.

• Tammie
    Tammie

The Europeans are just as bad. I have heard you all call us Americans, Yanks. As my daddy always says "I ain't no dam yankie, I'm a Texan."

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Gee Sleepy,

You sound like my World History teacher in High School, Miss Cote (in her 60's never married type). She set my class straight on this when I was 15.

I always play it safe when referring to anything regarding your neck of the woods. Unless it's IRISH, it's BRITISH

Andee

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

"Be England what she will,
    With all her faults she is my country still."

Charles Churchill (1731–1764)

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Then lets really be be correct: "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"

conventional short form: United Kingdom

abbreviation: UK

• spender
    spender

And let's call Switzerland "Confederatio Helvetica".

Ever wondered what those stickers on peoples' cars with CH on them meant?

Now you know...the Helvetians lived in the area in Roman times referred to as Gaul (think, Gallic war), which occupied most of what is now France and Switzerland.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Here is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island, courtesy of the CIA's own web-page.

Englishman.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

These are Standard names for that island realm or for parts of it. Technically, Great Britain (plus some of the small offshore islands such as Wight and Skye) is the main island, containing England. Scotland, and Wales, although jurisdictionally the term is also used for the main island plus Northern Ireland. Britain is simply a convenient and familiar Informal clipped form of Great Britain. The “United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland” is the full official title of this European country, often shortened to (the) United Kingdom, or to (the) U.K., pronounced as the names of the two letters. (The) British Isles is the term used for the geographical area itself, including the main island, Ireland (containing Northern Ireland and the independent country Eire), and numerous small offshore islands.

• messenger
    messenger

Isn't England a quaint little village in the south of France??

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Speaking of countries and regions... what exactly is/are the "Baltics"? Is it just the area within Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania?

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit