newsflash!! WTBS CD-ROM 2001

by greven 42 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

S&Smeister hit the nail on the head. If this knowledge is life saving, why not publish it on the net and offer it to anyone who seeks life's water (free). This is quite a serious issue to me. When so many people are about to die, why not use these two new revolutions (internet and mass storage media) to their full potential in the preaching. They always used to boast about using the latest technology such as colour photo drama and vinyl records containing sermons.

• Xander
    Xander

The obvious problem is that this would be VERY USEFUL ammo against them.

Wonder why they never included older publications than the ones already on the CD? I mean, look how far back they DO go - computer files of those documents don't exist -- they were scanning the actual documents in (OCR).

Further, no images, just straight text....IIRC, only about 1/4 of the CD is used.

Look at the set of publications available on the 93 cd (I think that was the first), and compare the 99. In 6 years, they couldn't add ANY older documents? Why, do you suppose, not?

I think you'll find the answer to this question is that same as to why they don't put this on the web....the information would be just too damning.

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• out4good3
    out4good3

They also, at least if you listen to my JW relatives, claim to be the first to use moving pictures. I sure hope this is a joke between them as they seem to think the Society is the originator of most anything useful.

• Xander
    Xander

Nother random thought...

Next time someone is giving a talk (w/ audience participation) on the benefits of such 'gifts from god', and they ask what commercially these products go for (they always did - 'correct' answer $50 or so) - someone should answer:

"Well, a 3 to 5-disk commercial encyclopedia typically runs around $30, and is complete with multimedia presentations, illustrations, and pictures. Straight text libraries are generally free."

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• ballistic
    ballistic

out 4 good, that WAS the photo drama I referred to above, and I believe they were "one of the first" which can mean just about anything.
    However, my point was that THEY WERE quick on the band wagon and they boast about it; why not with the internet and CDs, etc?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Xander,

Can I hear a Homer Simpson "DOWE!!!!"?

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• ballistic
    ballistic

elsewhere - it's spelt DOH!
    don't ask me, it's in the American dictionary I suppose, just like homer.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster
    Does anyone else get the feeling that the only reason they seem to be tightening up their distribution of written material is to tighten their grip on the members they already have?

It seems pretty obvious to me that is indeed what they are doing. Subscriptions are over, CD now only available to members in "good standing".

Think about it. They are VERY effective at getting people brainwashed/hooked quickly. So door to door, "informal", typical biblestudies are very effective at bringing the weak into the organization. There is very little need to put their information out there for "opposers" to pick apart and use against them.

I think it's very obvious that they are once again tightening their control on their members by only giving THEM the information but letting them think that the information is still getting out to the worldly people by the preaching work.

Slipnslidemaster:"I worked very hard and I earned all the attention I'm getting."
    - Anna Kournikova

Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

The cd officially has always only been available to members in good standing since day one. I'll get the citation when I have time.

Reason is, because of the Kingdom Ministries on them. Avalable only to members in good standing)

Also, only one per household.

• coult9056
    coult9056

I was wondering what publications are available on the CR-ROMs. Are old out-of-date publications on it too? Do the publications include "old light" beliefs...aka... generations, 1914, blood transfusions, 1975? How far back do they go?

BTW, I would be happy to pay for a CDrom.. Just finished a paper on JW's blood fraction rule. Could really have used the CD. Looking forward to it.

Thanks....Bryan.

"JW's...beautiful people.....just wrong"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit