newsflash!! WTBS CD-ROM 2001

by greven 42 Replies latest jw friends

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster
    it was made very clear that the CD-ROM was NOT available for the public, only for JW`s in 'good standing'. (I think this research help is often turned against them

"Preach this good news of the Kingdom and then the end will come."

"Advertise, advertise, advertise the King and his Kingdom."

Slipnslidemaster:"I worked very hard and I earned all the attention I'm getting."
    - Anna Kournikova

Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America

• SYN
    SYN

You know that you're a hardcore Apostate when instead of pirating games and MP3s from warez servers, you and your buddies organize large illicit networks involved exclusively in the piracy of Watchtower literature

GO A-BOYS GO! HURRAH!

It really is such an amazingly beautiful series of interlocking systems that comprise what a human is. It's too bad we're working backwards from the object code, everything would be simpler with the source and a comment or three thrown in.

• out4good3
    out4good3

I can't wait for it too come out. Just last week I was trying to load the 1995 version on my laptop with XP, just so I can look up some of the information posted here from their publications myself and it wouldn't work.

• SYN
    SYN

Quick question for those who have this and other WTBTS CDs: what format are all the files in? PDF? Word? (Probably not) Plain text? HTML perhaps? I'm dying of curiosity...

It really is such an amazingly beautiful series of interlocking systems that comprise what a human is. It's too bad we're working backwards from the object code, everything would be simpler with the source and a comment or three thrown in.

• Xander
    Xander

o4g3:

I have the 99 version, and it works fine on XP. Interface is the same, so the 95 should be fine, too. If you right-click on the shorcut and go to its properties, there is 'compatibility mode' options. One of the is to force Win98 behavior. I think that's what I had to do.

SYN:

Don't actually recall. The interface they use is all in VB, so I'd put money on some kind of access database or simply a flat file. Don't have the CD handy, so not sure.

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Greven, TR: I'd love to have a copy. I am willing to pay whatever you want, well, within reason, of course.

LDH: Who do you think you're kidding? You just want an excuse to go to the donut shop for another one of those delicious chocolate covered eclairs. LOL

• Nemesis
    Nemesis

SYN:

As far as I can see the text is Rich Text Format, you can also customise it to the font you want and spacing, sizes etc. excellent if you don’t want eye stain looking at size 10 Arial. Very easy to copy and paste to Word etc. using the send feature. I like the fact that you can remove the verse numbers if you want along with other useful features.

• Simon
    Simon

The last time I looked at it, it appeared to be VB (3 I think) and used and Access database (perhaps DBase / Foxpro). I may be a bit out of date though.

I'll probably get a copy too ... does anyone have KaZaa, lol

Given that they have the information, indexed, in electronic format it is absolutely criminal that they don't make it available online IF it is, as they claim, such life saving material.

Fact is, it's just a trinket to make the members feel that they are modern and receiving something special when most of us know a CD is worth less than a few pence to produce (hence the stack of AOL CD's and magazine cover disks I have)

• rem
    rem

Someone could create an ISO image and put it out on Morpheus or Kazaa or something.

rem

"We all do no end of feeling, and we mistake it for thinking." - Mark Twain
  • out4good3
    out4good3

I'm using Morpheus right now with a cablemodem. An ISO out there would be great.

Fact is, it's just a trinket to make the members feel that they are modern and receiving something special when most of us know a CD is worth less than a few pence to produce

That's exactly what I thought when they released the very first CD. I don't think there'll be any problem with getting a copy of that CD from many people in the congregation either no matter what edict comes down from the stage. Most of them with only a high school education won't know what you're doing with it if you chose to "borrow" it from them anyway.

Does anyone else get the feeling that the only reason they seem to be tightening up their distribution of written material is to tighten their grip on the members they already have?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit