Tech49...Experiences

by Tech49 19 Replies latest jw friends

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

We used to have a wonderful, but crazy Elder who also was a Pioneer. When I would go out in FS, he actually made it tolerable. Our territory was high density apartments, so if someone was rude at the door, the Elder would take their doormat and fling it down the hallway! Interesting response, but it kept me entertained! LOL

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

I have mentioned this before, but it is worth posting again.

Last summer, before she died, my JW mother had lived with me for 8 years, anyways last summer she got a hold of one of her check books (I was her legal conservator and guardian) and wrote out a check to the building committee for the amount of $5K. Well because the reason I was her conservator was because of others taking advantage of her, esp. JW and my Jw relitivies. This pitucular account never had anymore than 5 hundred in it for that very reason. One Thursday morning I get a call from Bro. Slick. "I tried to cash this check your mom wrote out but there are not enough funds. It is for $5K. "Come one over and I will fix it for you" I told him. In 20 minutes he was at the door. "I am so sorry for the confusion, I am sure this will take care of anything" I so sweetly told him, and I handed him a envelope and closed the door.

The envelope had copies of my conservatorship letter and the Judge's order that she is not to "gift" any monies to anyone. And oh.... I put a $5 bill in it.

• humbled
    humbled

Roberta! HA! HA!

• Dagney
    Dagney

I used to live in a BIG city with about a dozen KHs. A friend of mine was looking for her sister who has mental issues/schizophrenia and was on and off the streets in my area. For a time we heard she was studying and attending one of the halls. My friend had a contact in the hall who I guess was looking after the less fortunate in the congregation. One time my friend specifically thank her for her efforts in looking after her sister and others less fortunate. The sister said:

"Well, we gotta a whole row of em."

• Fernando
    Fernando

As a kid I was always well behaved and seldom caused any trouble.

So my parents were quite mystified at one meeting where I decided to test my newfound knowledge about a rear-wheel drive differential.

I put just enough bricks under the righthand rear wheel axel of a a brothers's Mini (motor vehicle) to get the wheel just off the ground. The poor brother was stunned when his car refused to move even though the engine, gears and (one) wheel was turning...

• tinker
    tinker

I may have told this story before but it's a good one. Our congo held a Talent Show, fun family recreation night. Picture this, an older, rather odd Seester, dressed in a leopard catsuit. She danced around the stage to jazz music and then lay on the floor where she had strewn leopard print slippers. She picks one of the slippers up with her teeth and begins to lick it, as a cat licks it's kittens.....YES, She LICKED the slipper. True Story, you can't make this stuff up.

and the rest of the story: all performances had to be OK'd by the elders. They gave her a Pass to do this dance and it was filmed with a video camera. Somewhere there is actual film of this Performance ?

• prologos
    prologos

tech 49 : --- brown bag in car?

I thought you talked about a barf bag. which brings me to another thread: counsel by elders, but true experience:

We drove a little sporty 2 door with a handle or two inside to hang on during speedy maneuvres.

so counsel by CO to us: Whenever*** the Sisters, Brothers reach for the handles: SLOW DOWN.

slow down period and MAKE THE MORNING LAST US. think of the monthly report.

*** Whenever like in "W--they say peace and security". EVERY TIME,--- eventually it will be THE last time at that speed.

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

Bttt

• rebel8
    rebel8

I once hid a tape player in the basement with a haunted house tape playing. I think we were cleaning the hall or something. People freaked the hell out and would not be comforted even after I told them of the joke. That really showed me how crazy they were.

On special public talks and Memorials, some people would come out to find their cars tipped on their sides. I've always had a suspect inside the kh.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I was a teenager at the time I did this one. I was a quiet person, and reserved - and introverted, so it was unlike me to do this.

I was getting in to electronics, reading everything that I could get my hands on - especially if it was free. This was in the mid-70's when there was no internet, so things worked differently back then.

I had a facination with LEDs (which were relatively new commercially), and was also fascinated with flashing the LEDs using minimal current. I had lots of time, and spent a few weeks developing a small flashing tie-clip. I started by using an older tie-clip, and drilling a small hole in it. I then placed an LED through the hole, and bent the leads over on the backside.

The leads then went to a pair of wires that I had from a donor earphone. The older kind that had a 2.5mm plug on the end. I scavenged a mating receptacle from an old transistor radio. The LM555 IC I used was wired up in a mode to charge a capacitor and then flash the LED about once per second. The electronics were housed in a small 1-inch square by 1/4-inch thick little plastic box that a phonograph needle had come in.

The 9-volt battery was in a separate box that a radio tube came in. It had its' own wiring that went to the small 1-inch plastic box.

Anyway, all of this sounds like a lot, but I was proud of my 'micro' circuitry skills. To implement this LED Tie-clip flasher, I had to first clip the tie-clip onto my tie, then run the wiring down the inside of my shirt to the plastic housing. From there, I had a pair of wires that went to the battery box that had an ON/OFF switch on it. The battery box was in my pants pocket where I could turn the flasher on and off unnoticed.

since I was so introverted, I almost didn't go through with wearing this, but figured that if I didn't want to turn it on, at least I had worn it to a meeting.

It was a Thursday night meeting that I chose to wear the tie-clip flasher to. I didn't turn it on during the meeting, or if I did, the only person to see it would have been the person on the stage. Since I was in the back, I don't think they would have seen it from up there, that far away.

After the meeting, I would turn it on, and it would start winking and blinking. I would not say anything, but people would do a lot of double takes. When they would look, I would discretely turn it off, and it would just look like a small translucent stone attached to my tie-clip.

I had a few people ask me about it, and I would confess and tell them, "Yes, it's a flashing LED." Now days those things are common, but back in 1975 or so, they hadn't even invented the LED watch, yet. But, they would nod, and say something like, "I thought so." not really sure what an LED was.

There was one fella - Bob Cr*** - who was a company man. Very strict. He was talking to another fella, and I was able to get in front of Bob, and turn on the LED flasher. *wink* *wink* *wink* away it went. Well, Bob saw it, but for some reason he refused to process it and acknowledge it. I tried several times. He never would admit that he saw anything.

I thought that was funny as heck.

I know that sounds mild or tame, but back then... for me... I was really rebellious doing something like that. Yessiree!

I still have that tie-clip... somewhere in storage.

Regards,

Jim TX

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit