Another Newbie

by Skinnedsheep 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Skinnedsheep
    Skinnedsheep

Hi,

I recently came to the realization that the organization is corrupt and is false. My story is similar to many I think. I was raised in the religion, pioneered and served as an Elder for a number of years. I resigned because I could not teach something that I felt was false. I still attend sporadically to keep the appearance up and not lose my friends or family.

It has been an emotional rollercoaster recognizing that the organization is not God's channel to mankind. I am still trying to figure out my next steps. The organization is imploding I think. The new light is nonsense and I think it is pretty evident to anyone who doesn't want to be blind. The things that pushed me out mentally are; the molestation cases, the ban on higher education, Elder hypocrisy, changing doctrines and the worship of the Governing Body.

How many here were Elders, Servants, or pioneers at one time? How many people are there in the congregations like my wife and I who know it is false but are trapped because all of our friends and family are Witnesses? What is the best way to feel out a friend to find out if he or she has any doubts or criticisms? in this message board I probably won't say a whole lot because it has already all been said, but I appreciate knowing that I am not the only one trapped in this religion.

Skinned Sheep

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

Welcome and BTW great name!

No Regrets

• Scott77
    Scott77

Welcome, . Please, read jwfacts.com.

Scott77

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Hey and welcome! Leaving does leave you in a confused state, so don't be in a hurry to rush off to another religion just yet. Spend time educating yourself, and you will find you have to renegotiate your views on most things and find your authentic self as JWs mostly operate from their 'cult' identity. Read books by Steve Hassan, Carolyn jessop and check out jwfacts.com if you haven't already.

You've come to a good place where you will find support. I have found this forum indispensable on healing because everyone here has been through pretty much the same thing. You can get all sorts of advice on all sorts of issues which come up for ex JWs. The family thing has got to be the hardest and as I have no Jw family I could just walk away. You will find many people here though who are keeping up appearances for family, and they will be able to share much with you.

• Suspicious
    Suspicious

I'm new myself and still an ms. I'm trying to figure it out too. It's conflicting indeed.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Welcome! You are with friends now. I am relatively new as well. Take care. Be careful feeling them out. Even with doubts they flip into cult mind easily. Glad to have you.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Skinned Sheep...Hello and Welcome. May I say sir, hip hip hurrah for having the good heart condition, mixed with common sense and the thinking ability to at

least get you and your wife out. That calls for a celebration. .

We are so happy to have you two good guys with us.

May I send love and hugs to your wife? It is so hard in the beginning. ((((((((( HugsToSkinnedSheep'sWife )))))))))

Just Lois

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Welcome! Former MS, almost Elder here....felt very similar to you. Still technically in, but very sporadic and borderline inactive. Alot of great people here, we even have a guy that thinks he's Jesus. ;-)

look forward to reading some of your experiences as an elder.

Take care bro!

TD

• clarity
    clarity

Skinned sheep & mrs SS....pull up a couple of comfortable

chairs and hang on ...it is quite like a roller coaster for awhile!

>

Your emotions will run the gamut for starters.

The exhilaration of being free from control, is priceless!

>

So glad you joined us, it will be great to hear your experiences

clarity

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Skinnedsheep - I recently came to the realization that the organization is corrupt and is false.

Welcome Skinnedsheep, What started causing you doubts? From your post it sounds like something happened to you or someone who you care about by a JW or the WTBTS that you felt was morally wrong. Anytime a JW or the WTBTS does something bad to a JW it will typically cause disillusionment in that JW and enable a JW to see "the Truth about the Truth" ("TTATT").

If you want to help other JWs to see TTATT, I would recommend doing lots of reading of independent sources to improve your critically thinking skills. I would recommend visiting websites like www.jwfacts.com, www.watchtowerdocuments.com, www.jwsurvey.org, www.JWStruggle.com to list a few to learn more about the Watchtower and JW specific issues, www.wikipedia.org to locate references to Watchtower and Awake! propaganda that shows you how Watchtower doctrine has changed over the years, and www.freedomofmind.com to learn how reading books by Steve Hassan will help you to understand how the Watchtower has manipulated JWs and how to communicate better with JW friends and relatives if you decide to fade. Best wishes for learning to think for yourself! Critically thinking for yourself is a good thing and less terrifying the more your start to think for yourself.

Here is a video by Steve Hassan that will help you to understand more about how the Watchtower used BITE control techniques to victimize JWs: Steve Hassan explains SIA method to rescue loved ones from unhealthy situations (2003) .

As far as specific suggestions to help you identify whether a JW is disillusioned, ask simple questions about how they feel and listen to them without telling them that you are disillusioned with the Watchtower. Let them discover for themselves how to critically think for themselves. You can plant seeds of doubts, by saying something as simple as "Can you help me to understand the New Light?" and then ask simple questions to help a JW to realize what is wrong with the "New Light".

Anything that you can do to help JWs to feel that the internet is a beneficial resource is a good thing. Something like showing JWs how to locate inexpensive hotels for vacations may eventually help them to start thinking about using the internet to locate cheaper hotels for attending DCs. Why is that important? I feel that the WTBTS may get kickbacks from hotels that the WTBTS recommends to JWs. Less money going to the WTBTS is a good thing. Getting away from other JWs commenting about how wonderful the "Spiritual Food is" may help JWs to see TATT when attending the DCs too. Also, recommending to JWs to use websites like www.travelzoo.com and signing up for local promotions, may help them to see how wonderful life is away from the WTBTS.

Post on JWN as much as possible to help you vent about your feelings, because if you tell other JWs how you feel you may be Df'ed. I hope that your wife totally agrees with you, because many JWs have learned the hard way about how powerful the WTBTS's indoctrination is.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit