Do You Believe Gods name is Jehovah and why?

by sarahsmile 76 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mP
    mP

Heaven;

To me, the only thing that makes any sense about 'god' is the scripture that states 'God is Love'. I think if anything can be classified 'divine' then it is Love.

mP:

And yet God loves everyone he allowed slavery and kept his message onto jews. Please dont explain the Abraham pack, we al know it, im just referring to the fact that God ignores all his children, except for the jews simply because they share some common ancestor.

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

I have gotten past the point of caring.

zed

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

Check this little gem out:

http://www.catholic.com/quickquestions/is-gods-name-yahweh-or-jehovah

WTBT$ even admits it: WT 1980 2/1 pg 11-13

The

Divine Name in Later Times

THAT the divine name was used in early history is beyond question. But what about later times? Why have certain Bible translations omitted the name? And what is its meaning and significance to us?

THE

NAME“JEHOVAH”BECOMESWIDELY

KNOWN

Interestingly, Raymundus Martini, a Spanish monk of the Dominican order, first rendered the divine name as “Jehova.” This form appeared in his book PugeoFidei, published in 1270 C.E.—over 700 years ago.

In time, as reform movements developed both inside and outside the Catholic Church, the Bible was made available to the people in general, and the name “Jehovah” became more widely known. In 1611 C.E. the King James or Authorized Version of the Bible was published. It uses the name Jehovah four times. (Ex. 6:3; Ps. 83:18; Isa. 12:2; 26:4) Since then, the Bible has been translated many, many times. Some translations follow the example of the AuthorizedVersion and include the divine name only a few times.

In this category is AnAmericanTranslation (by Smith and Goodspeed) with a slight variation of using “Yahweh” instead of “Jehovah.” Yet, one may ask: “Why have the translators done this? If using ‘Jehovah’ or ‘Yahweh’ is wrong, why put it in at all? If right, why not be consistent and use it every time it appears in the Bible text?”

Against the preceding historical and factual background, let us now examine what the translators say in answer.

THE

TRANSLATORS’

ANSWER

Says the Preface of AnAmericanTranslation: “In this translation we have followed the orthodox Jewish tradition and substituted ‘the Lord’ for the name ‘Yahweh.’ ” But by following “the orthodox Jewish tradition,” did the translators realize how harmful it can be to ignore God’s clear determination that his ‘name be declared in all the earth’? Moreover, Jesus condemned man-made tradition that would invalidate God’s word.—Ex. 9:16; Mark 7:5-9.

The Preface of the RevisedStandardVersion states: “The present revision returns to the procedure of the King James Version, which follows . . . the long established practice in the reading of theHebrew scriptures in the synagogue.... For two reasons the Committee has returned to the more familiar usage of the King James Version: (1) The word ‘Jehovah’ does not accurately represent any form of the Name ever used in Hebrew; and (2) the use of any proper name for the one and only God, as though there were other gods from whom he had to be distinguished, was discontinued in Judaism before the Christian era and is entirely inappropriate for the universal faith of the Christian Church.” (Italics ours.)

The translators made a great mistake in following the example of the KingJamesVersion and Jewish tradition. Did they really think it was God’s will that his name should be kept in the background? Is the divine name something to be ashamed of so that it should be left out of the Bible?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I have gotten past the point of caring.

zed

Me too.

• rawe
    rawe

hi mP,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Shaddai
    Shaddai as a theonym [edit]

According to Exodus 6:2, 3, Shaddai (???????) is the name by which God was known to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. The name Shaddai is again used as a name of God later in the Book of Job.

Here is the text of Exodus 6:2, 3 from the NWT...

And God went on to speak to Moses and to say to him: “I am Jehovah [YHWH]. And I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as God Almighty [EL SHADDAI], but as respects my name Jehovah [YHWH] I did not make myself known to them. - Exodus 6:3

I added brackets to reflect El Shaddai reference. I will need to read over some more text, but I tend to see "Jehovah" as the later, somewhat forced, addition to the text and this explanation here at Exodus 6 reflecting that. I found the Wikipedia article interesting too, with the explanation that 'Shaddai' may mean 'destroyer' and thus comes out as 'Almighty'. Certainly the idea that the God that belonged to a people could help them in war comes out in OT writings. The circumstance of NT writers was entirely different, part of a Jewish sect that was opposed both by Jews and Romans. Not likely they would make a connection between God and nationalism.

Cheers,
    -Randy

• Heaven
    Heaven

And yet God loves everyone he allowed slavery and kept his message onto jews. Please dont explain the Abraham pack, we al know it, im just referring to the fact that God ignores all his children, except for the jews simply because they share some common ancestor.

MP, you definitely missed my point. God is not a sentient being. Slavery is a result of people overpowering and controlling other people. Slavery is lacking in love. There is also no divine message kept only for certain peoples. It's just a message created by a certain group of humans for a certain group of humans and nothing more.

• Brother of the Hawk
    Brother of the Hawk

The Name Jehovah is a bogus name. I know I will get bagged for this one, especially on this site. But here goes. The Bible I believe is the word of God. But I also realize it has been tampered with. King James for one, and the WTBT$ for another, namely Fred Franz. The issue has always been about worship, not universal sovereignty ! If it were about sovereignty then Satan would not of obeyed Gods words and KILLED Job!!!!!. Satan had to obey God.

Issue settled.

Its about WORSHIP. To quote the NWT since this is the Bible we are most familar with, Isaiah 14:14 says " I shall go up above the high places of the clouds, I shall make myself resemble the Most High." Cross reference these scriptures and the surrounding scriptures you will see they all relate to Satan. From the beginning It has been about worship, Satan said to Eve, " Is it really so?" " you will not Die" Since that point mankind has been very conflicted as who to worship. the Nation of Israel failed many times in regards to worship. When Satan tempted Jesus, It was about worship!!

Fast forward to the Catholic Monk. He uses Elohim and Adonai and Invents Jehovah!!!. King James inserts it into his version, only in a couple places. Throughout history it has not gained recognition, Satan is sad. So now he gets the WTBTS to re-issue a bible and guess what, he gets what he wants all the prayers!!! Just imagine all those who have died ignorant about the name Jehovah, all those of us who have left the WTBT$ prayed to that name, and yet those still praying to that name. Satan has fulfilled scripture, He has resembled the Most High, and that is what Satan has wanted from the very beginning!!

We are living in the age of Apostasy, which indicates there is no true religion leading to God as we have all seen. The Day will come when Christ will correct all these points of issue, and we will all be surprised as to how wrong we all are. I also feel since we are living in the age of apostasy that we can not be held completely responsible, the book in which we are suppposed to put all our trust in" The Bible" has been tampered with,

Satan has used Gods word to get what He wants, WORSHIP.

Beyond that, we do have the spirit of Gods word and the words of his Son, If we can manage to live within that spirit I think when the time comes to make a final decision we will be able to do it. After all, when we can plainly see the WTBT$ for what it truly is, we had no problems in deciding to leave it. We made a very decisive choice. The correct choice. That made Satan sad, ahhhh no more prayers from us.

So in answer to the topic question, NE, Gojira, and I DO NOT BELIEVE GODS NAME IS JEHOVAH!!!!!!!! the above statement explains why.

Affectionately: Brother of the Hawk ( I will surrender my mind no more, forever)

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I believe if God exists, and if he is all powerfull, and if he cared what he was called, he would have found a way for people to actually know what that name was and how it was pronounced. Since that doesn't seem to be the case, I don't think it matters.

• *lost*
    *lost*

BOH excellent. Very well put.

Also, as I have been going through all of the research on it, following the trail.

The Spanish monk was involved in spiritism, magic ect was very prevalent, the pagan customs were still in control of the religious aspect.

Kabbalah has a strong history, and there are strong links.

It would be great if we could somehow muster all of the info in one easy to read, easy to access form.

I just mentioned the same to Eden one on his thread

• Brother of the Hawk
    Brother of the Hawk

Lost: HELLO! Thanks for your thumbs up. Yes, my searching has also turned up the info you mentioned. Remember Rev. says after the destruction of Babylon the Great she will become a lurking place for demons. So it should not surprise us that some of these monks and others have a demonic influence.

affectionately: Brother of the Hawk ( I will surrender my mind no more, forever)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit