Do You Believe Gods name is Jehovah and why?

by sarahsmile 76 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Many internet sites claiming that GOD'S names is Jehovah.

Do you believe it is the name of God?

• mP
    mP

Names and their power were only important to the ancients because they beleived say some name or a curse literally had physical consequences. We all know that theres no such thing as spells, and saying Jehovah or Allah makes absolutely no difference in any circumstances. You can shout either all day long but tyour life is not going to get any better, and you will get tired because of the wasted effort.

The bible has a few scriptures where it condemns curses because they actually beleived in that nonsense. We all know that cursing someone, especially when they arenot around is a waste of time.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Sarahsmile

I used to think so, as it told to us as fact. then after doing some research, found out it is not.

People discount magic so easily in our 'modern' world, it was actually very prevalent in society, from the beginning.

Lots to research.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

It is just as likely to be Jehovah (who causes to become) as (he who shall not be named) Voldermort

• mP
    mP

@lost

Theres also an interesting story in the genesis where rachel steals some idols while travelling back with Jacob. Her father wont touch dare take the idols which were also used as title deads for property because she tells him she is menstrating and he is worried about bad magic hurting him if he approaches her. Superstituous nonsens of course, but people also believe these same people can be trusted on other matters like Jehovah.

• GreenhornChristian
    GreenhornChristian

I used to.

It seems to be the construct of a Catholic Priest.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

However Jehovah is pronounced doesn’t matter to me, nor does his name. It’s the meaning that is important. Names back then were deemed as prophetic and descriptive. If a God was named it was thought that it gave power to the one who spoke it over that God. So if the Gods name was invoked and nothing happened, it was seen as though that God did not have the power and was thus shamed. So when God is asked what his name is by Moses, and he replies `I am who I am` or a derivation thereof, it is really God refusing to give his name and that becomes his name, because names then were descriptive and prophetic in meaning. In reality any name for God is for human benefit, as names are only relevant to humans who use speech, which is dependant on an atmosphere to transmit sound.

• *lost*
    *lost*

well if jehovah means god of wickednessa nd perversion, how could it possibly be God's name, especially when we find out about the true origins of the monk.

• cantleave
    cantleave

It is mis-translation of Jerky-hoover.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

I believe you can call a made up diety anything you want...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit