Do You Believe Gods name is Jehovah and why?

by sarahsmile 76 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Sarahsmile, Phizzy & mP,

"WHile i agree that Paul was quoting the greek lxx, the question remains which books did he think were special. Its hard to tell given that he never actually makes an effort to say which or what. One can only conclude that God doesnt really care or is mighty sloppy with his messages."

Since posting I've been thinking more about this issue and how I might refine my views. Since we are so far removed in time for these authors we can only make educated guesses. I cannot say dogmatically Paul (or whoever is the author of Hebrews) is quoting the LXX, even though they agree in this "all the angels of God worship him." One might argue that while the Masoretic Text we have today doesn't have this phrase it does not absolutely mean the author of Hebrews didn't have access to a copy of OT in Hebrew that was more in agreement with the LXX.

Indeed this is what The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible says about this verse:

Deuteronomy 32:43 is an unusual verse in view of its contents. As the list of variant readings show, 4QDeut -- supported by the Septuagint -- differs markedly from the Masoretic Text and the Samaritan Pentateuch. For example, in the Qumran scroll it is "the heavens" which rejoice, not the nations; and God will avenge the blood of "his sons," not "his servants." Moreover, the mention of gods "bowing down to God" and "recompensing those who hate him" is absent from the Masoretic Text and the Samaritan Pentateuch. This verse provides a striking example of the very different readings that sometimes appear in the Dead Sea Scrolls. - Page 192

So it is possible the author of Hebrews had something resembling the Qumran scrolls in Hebrew. Yet we know there is no evidence NT authors ever wrote down anything more than "jah" as part of Hallelujah in regards to the name Jehovah. This is consistent with the fact they likely were using the LXX which in their day had Jehovah replaced with Lord.

What about the idea NT writers referenced material that was beyond the OT we have today? Funny how things work out. The day after my post we ran across this verse in our family Bible reading (we read 2 pages most week days).

When you come, bring the cloak I left at Tro′as with Carpus, and the scrolls, especially the parchments. - 2 Timothy 4:13

All the quoting of OT material in the NT certainly suggests these scrolls and parchments were likely OT material and as already argued probably the LXX. But did other ideas influence NT authors? There are a couple places where I think one could argue that, for example...

I know a man in union with Christ who, fourteen years ago—whether in the body I do not know, or out of the body I do not know; God knows—was caught away as such to the third heaven. - 2 Corithians 12:2

This verse is a reference to an out-of-body experience which may have been more a first century influence than something one would get from the OT. I also do not believe one can find a reference to the "third heaven" in the OT. Here is another...

When an unclean spirit comes out of a man, it passes through parched places in search of a resting-place, and finds none - Matthew 12:43

I believe this description of unclean spirits reflects first century ideas more than what one would pick up in the OT.

Cheers,

-Randy

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Stauros,

"Jesus called Him Heavenly Father not Jehovah (YHWH)(YHVH). What does Jesus mean when he said let your name be sanctified?"

The opening line to the Lord's prayer is this:

Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified. - Matthew 6:9

or as Luke has it: Father, let your name be sanctified. - Luke 11:2

The NWT tends to lay stress on action, as if the Father is doing something in regards to his name. In contrast, other translations tend to reflect an attribute of the Father's name:

Our Father [which art] (KJV) in heaven, hallowed be your name - Matthew 6:9 (NIV, NABS, KJV)

Although Darby agrees with the NWT: Our Father who art in the heavens, let thy name be sanctified - Darby

Thus I think there are two ways of understanding this verse. One is that the Father is implored to take some action to have his name sanctified. This of course is the nominal JW view. Or the name of the Father is intrinsically hallow or holy. Personally I think the latter is more likely and indeed one of the reasons why safeguards were in place against even saying "Jehovah."

Cheers,

-Randy

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Wew some more good informatio.

I think we should hallowed God's name stating sanctified really changes the concept. I remember sanctified was like declare it or let people known according to the JWs.

It just something else they have wrong.

Rawe Good point.

Randy thinks for that information.

Everyone thank you for your reply. There just so much good information.

• Stauros
    Stauros

YHWH or YHVH is accepted as GOD's name. I prefer Heavenly Father because there is only One Heavenly Father, whereas there are many god's. It also unifies people if they accept the fact that there is only One Father.......

Estephan

• biometrics
  • smiddy
    smiddy

Isn`t it true their was no "J" sounding alphabet letter in ancient Hebrew? just saying.

smiddy

• Twitch
    Twitch

God has had and continues to have many names

If you need to know, go with one that makes sense to you

Be wary of those who would have you believe their name/version is the "right" one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit