Do You Believe Gods name is Jehovah and why?

by sarahsmile 76 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don't believe in God and I believe Jehovah is his name.

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

I remember being freaked out when looking at a timeline in the book 'Don't know much about the bible'.

It pointed to a spot that the 'Cult of Yahweh' began.

Freaked me out... but deep down.. I know that it's true.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Harrymac - can you add some more info ? please, ta

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

That's all I remember...

Book is called 'Don't know much about the bible' from the 'Don't know much about...' series I think.

Probably can find it.

It's been a while since I've left... sorry for the fuzzy details.

• *lost*
    *lost*

oh the magic of google and amazon.

gonna miss all this wonderful stuff in the 'new wrodl'

lol

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Know-Much-About-Bible/dp/0380728397

Yeah, sorry, could have done that for ya.

I read it on the plane and remember laughing a lot... wicked humour and educational.

In short... this book is 'Harry recomended', lol.

• Mum
    Mum

To give something a name diminishes it. I love the Tao te-Ching, which starts out like this:

The name that can be named is not the eternal name

The nameless is the origin of heaven and earth

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

I actually might be in the minority here, but I believe it is possible Jehovah could be the name of God in a modern version of what was originally intended. There is certainly no way to tell for sure. "Jah" at the very least seems correct based on Revelation and the praising of "Jah".

There was a book written which gave some compelling ideas as to why three syllables would be more accurate than 2. Greg Stafford also wrote extensively on the subject in all of his books, as was as Firpo Carr in the now somewhat famous "The divine name controversy".

On a philosophical level, one could determine that God's name is too holy to speak and take the position of Jews and Muslims. One could say that father is more personal because of how they view their own father perhaps. The bible speaks of God's name as having import, but name could mean reputation and fame just as much as the actual name in itself. it may in fact be both.

I am careful to not just find things that suit how I already may feel about something. Just because I have left the religion of my life thus far, does not neccesarily mean i am willing to think they are wrong about everything. I also think there are some compelling reasons the septuagint offers in regards to the name of God.

I do agree though that nobody should be dogmatic either way........which may go without saying.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Sure, just like I believe Thor's name is Thor and Zeus' name is Zeus

• Earnest
    Earnest

'Jehovah' is the translation of the tetragrammaton in the earliest English translations. Tyndale translated it in this way and most subsequent translations up to and including the King James version followed suit. At the time of the early translations English as we know it was still a very young language and many words now in common use were first coined in translating Hebrew and Greek concepts into English.

What is good enough for Tyndale is good enough for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit