Memorial Day.... still struggling with the idea of war and support

by Butterflyleia85 54 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

A bit like Geordies and Cockneys ;)

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

As a JW, I of course believed God was going to fix mankind's problems, and so it would be wrong to support the military in any way. Once I realized that this was a fantasy, I had to rethink everything. I ended up getting married to a retired Army warrant officer, so I got a crash course in military culture. At first it seemed strange, but I gradually came to understand and even admire the sacrifice of the men and women who serve. I never thought before about the fact that individual service members may or may not approve or feel great about a particular war, but they do their duty anyway.

Those who feel they are taking the higher ground by by pacification are only able to do so because others are willing to serve where they do not. No country can maintain sovereignty without a military of sort. Many people died so that the rest of us could have these freedoms. Had others not served, they might have ended up not having that choice. I am proud of my husband for his military service and also my stepson who served 8 years in the Marines and continues in the Army Reserves.

• humbled
    humbled

All are free to choose not to fight in a war anyplace on earth. If I believe it is wrong to fight in uniform I can pay the price myself. Many have--with their own blood. Or with imprisonment. Fear of dying isn't the main motive for conscientious objectors to avoid war. It is fear of killing. And the futility of war.

I might refuse to join the Army because I am merely the finger on a trigger while the "head" making policy and giving the orders my be absolutely nuts or out of touch with what is really happening. On the other hand if I personally saw a man or woman viciously attacking another I would do all in my power to stop it.

Discussions like this are good to have but they get tangled up. War is a confusion of politics. A personal attack is not confusing at all. I might refuse to participate in one and wade in with whatever I had on hand in another.

My father was a soldier in three wars. WWII, Korea(I was only 3 months old when he left), and finally at age 41 sent to Vietnam. I have been around soldiers young and old. I love them. I hear their stories.

Who cares what I say?

Go to Youtube. Look for Kevin Benderman:"An M-16 in the Garden of Eden" He is a veteran jailed for refusing a second deployment to Iraq. Then look up the report The Consequences of War by Aaron Glantz

This is a good thread. I hope it stays up and stays on track.

Maeve

• humbled
    humbled

bumped

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Thank you for your comments... yes I feel the same way humbled but I'm also in agreement with Lisa... still struggle. My stand is still null.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit