Memorial Day.... still struggling with the idea of war and support

by Butterflyleia85 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Stauros
    Stauros

I for one will not go to war or support it. I have only 10 posts so have to use them wisely.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57586327/mccain-sneaks-across-turkey-syrian-border-meets-with-rebels/

have you been watching the news about Syria? Perhaps world war III would make warmongers happy.

Warmonger is a pejorative[1] term that is used to describe someone who is eager to encourage people or a nation to go to war. Monger is an old word for a peddler.

• JeffT
    JeffT

So Heathen, should we give Texas back to Mexico? I'm sure you'll love living in the conditions prevalent just over the border.

• cofty
    cofty

Yes I have been following the news about Syria. Britain and France are trying unsuccessfully to persuade the rest of the EU to allow arms sales to the rebels but Belgium and others refuse to go along with it because "the EU is a peaceful organisation."

Of course its easy to take a position like that when you are safely ensconced in your ivory tower in Brussels eating foie gras at other's expense.

War is sometimes a necessary evil.

I said...

"War should be a last resort for occasions when not to go to war would be the greater evil"

and then Stauros said....

"Perhaps world war III would make warmongers happy."

You will need to learn to respond to what people actually said. How about an introduction? Are you an ex-JW or still a JW?

• Stauros
    Stauros

I am a christian have studied with J.W.'s and believe some of their teachings. The bible plainly states not to kill and if all people would listen there would be no wars. I respond how I do who are you to dictate what I do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCWNCxPRoIo

• heathen
    heathen

what does giving texas back to mexico have to do with my belief that passifism is not immoral ? People have the right not to practice or support war and hatred . We are at the point in history where the cost of war is insane for the technology they use could be better put towards advancing education or food sources and cleaning up the environment , instead they destroy everything in their way , not to mention most people that die are non combatent . Anyway I think mexico found a way to take back texas without a war .LOL all the illegals around here is really telling what their agenda was.

• cofty
    cofty
    The bible plainly states not to kill

Does it really?

"go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass." - 1Samuel 15:3

Saul actually got rejected for not killing enough Amalekites and this was in revenge for something a previous generation of Amalekites had done centuries earlier. How would yo feel about committing genocide because of what the gggggggrandparents of another nation had done?

Why do you get think the bible is a useful source of ethics?

if all people would listen there would be no wars

But some people commit terrible atrocities against other nations - Syria for example. How can it be ethical to sit back and do nothing?

It would be intersting to know what teachings of JWs you agree with. Perhaps you could tell us on another thread. Is it their shunning of family members, their failed prophecies or something else?

• Ding
    Ding

It would be nice if everyone loved everyone and no one hurt anyone.

That's not the world we live in.

If you are walking through a dangerous neighborhood, who would you rather have alongside you -- a pacifist or Chuck Norris?

In which companion's presence are you less likely to be attacked in the first place?

• cofty
    cofty
    People have the right not to practice or support war - Heathen

Yes they do. They also have the right to look the other way when a woman is being attacked by a man in the street. That is their right.

• Stauros
    Stauros

It would be intersting to know what teachings of JWs you agree with. Perhaps you could tell us on another thread. Is it their shunning of family members, their failed prophecies or something else?

I have read peoples views on the W.T.S. and it is obvious you all have issues with them. I am not here to engage in hate speach against any other religion. As I mentioned I am limited on the number of posts so I am moving on....see ya

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

This just popped up on my FB newsfeed:

" KNOW YOUR HISTORY: Memorial Day was started by former slaves on May, 1, 1865 in Charleston, SC to honor 257 dead Union Soldiers who had been buried in a mass grave in a Confederate prison camp. They dug up the bodies and worked for 2 weeks to give them a proper burial as gratitude for fighting for their freedom. They then held a parade of 10,000 people led by 2,800 Black children where they marched, sang and celebrated."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit