Memorial Day.... still struggling with the idea of war and support

by Butterflyleia85 54 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

BTTT, interesting thread

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Thank you everyone for your posts!! Wish I could answer each one of you! My thoughts are still meant for peace but I guess that's why there are verify of ppl to handle these kind of things.

• *lost*
    *lost*

excellent thread - i had been rattling similar thoughts around in my head now everything has changed.

flipper excellent comments, as usual.

We are quite possibly and realistically getting to a point in time, when idealsim and morals are possibly going to go out the window.

So if we are faced with that scenario in our own countries, on the streets, what do we do?

Do we revert to nature and instinct for survival and protection.

or

Do we hold to a code of morals and ethics and idealistic views.

usually, a third man who walks into a fight, comes out the worse, the two buddies will stick together and turn on the helper.

Also, I can never figure why people always use the OT as basis for their arguments.

Why not use the NT, did not Jesus do away with the 'old ways' laws and customs, whatever they were.

WT and jw's do the same, omit Jesus and NT and His teachings, all the focus is on OT and je-hovah

• cofty
    cofty
    We are quite possibly and realistically getting to a point in time, when idealsim and morals are possibly going to go out the window. - lost

Why do you say that morals are possibly going to go out the window? I would argue that in some situations killing an aggressor is the only moral thing to do.

Why not use the NT, did not Jesus do away with the 'old ways' laws and customs, whatever they were.

Its a bit off topic but Jesus was a Jew. He kept the Law in every detail and told his followers to do the same. His objection was with teachers who misapplied the Law. He referred frequently to the OT and viewed it as authoritative.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Unfortunately war is at times a necessary evil. Take the invasion of Iraq. It was undertaken on a false premise but the removal of an evil, faschist dictorship run by a family of thugs was by far the right thing to do.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Well if you have civil war or civil unrest in a country, any country, as history shows us, what can happen.

An example of this on a much smaller scale, is examples of terrorism and fundamentalists.

So that is what I mean, if things were to 'kick off'.

I came across some research that says Jesus was Hebrew, not Jew.

• cofty
    cofty

Jesus was a religious Jew who kept the Law fastidiously.

Hebrew is a language and by extension an ethnic identity not a religion. Jesus spoke Aramaic.

• cantleave
    cantleave

It might be accurate to say he was Judean, but not a "Hebrew".

• cofty
    cofty

Wasn't he Galilean Cantleave?

That's why Matthew and Luke have the convoluted birth narratives to get him born in Bethlehem.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Good point Cofty - During the Roman occupation Galilee and Judea was completely different provinces with separate cultures and history.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit