Memorial Day.... still struggling with the idea of war and support

by Butterflyleia85 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

So I do respect and am very greatful for the sacrifies those who dedicated their family, lives, etc. to defend our freedom, lives, and land, BUT if we lived in a world where we lived as monks or Jehovah's Witnesses (basicly just the practise of no war).... would that be wrong?

What's a good lesson or level of reasoning when supporting the idea of war?

I just hate war. I hate violance. I think that if we all practice peace and not promote war any more but yet the rememberance of the lives that did suffer for us.... wouldn't the world be a better place.

Maybe when we put down our swords others will follow? That sound crazy with the world we live in... but seriously where did Jesus show that going to war was ok?

• d
    d

I support the service that was done but I do not support any war on false premises.

• Stauros
    Stauros

you are right war is not good

• cofty
    cofty

If you saw somebody beating up or raping another person and you had the ability and tools to stop it through the effective use of force - deadly force if necessary - it would be unethical not to do so.

When those two Muslim fanatics were attacking Lee Rigby last week we needed armed police to turn up and shoot them before they killed somebody else..

The principle is no different on a bigger scale where whole nations are involved. War should be a last resort for occasions when not to go to war would be the greater evil.

Pacifism is not morally defensible IMO

• Jomavrick
    Jomavrick

War is an unfortunate reality. I prefer to live in reality. Saluting,,,,,

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

What cofty said. It's a sad reality.

• designs
    designs

Atrocities occur in wars. Soldiers and even civilians not only combat with their equals but go and intentionally or otherwise injure and kill families and neighbors. The argument for WWII was against the aims and actions of Germany and the Empire of Japan. They had a recognizable aggression and history of human rights abuses which brought Russia, the UK, and the US among other countries into the war.

As General Dougals MacArthur said- 'No one detests war more than I'. General Dwight Eisenhower said' I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can', those latter words describe my father's sentiments as a Veteran.

• heathen
    heathen

pacifism is completely morally justified . War is big buisness and the main reason for it is wealth for those invested in the MIC and the bankers that fund both sides of it for profit . In just about every case the US has gone to war under false pretense . They had known about the attack on pearl harbor they knew if they sent supplies to britain in WW1 the ships would be sunk but did so anyway just to get the public behind joining the war . The brits actually started WW1 to get control of the oil from Iraq . Just take a look at history already . IMO 911 was an inside job in order to pass unconstitutional law and invade Iraq which had nothing to do with it even according to their own admission afterward .

• Stauros
    Stauros

If you saw somebody beating up or raping another person and you had the ability and tools to stop it through the effective use of force - deadly force if necessary - it would be unethical not to do so.

It is the concept of war, it is not right to war. I leave is up to God to fix it. If I had a chance to help a person I would instead of standing around.

http://www.ppu.org.uk/learn/infodocs/st_pacifism_m1.htmlSome dictionary definitions:

Pacifism: the conviction that war should be abolished.
    Pacifism: opposition to war and violence as a means of settling disputes
    Pacifism: complete renunciation of violence, even in self-defence, in settling disputes.
    Pacifism: advocacy of opposition to war through individual or collective action against militarism.
    Pacifism: the doctrine of opposition to all wars, including civil wars. Its most obvious feature is the personal commitment to non-participation in wars, except possibly in a non-combatant role. Pacifists also advocate efforts to maintain peace and support disarmament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vsfqJjlMUQ

• cofty
    cofty
    I leave is up to God to fix it

In other words you would favour doing nothing.

Welcome to JWN Stauros - please tell us about your story. Perhaps you could start a thread to introduce yourself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit