Symposium: Beware of Apostates! - 'God's Word is Truth!' District Convention of Jehovah's Witnesses 2013 - not on JW.ORG

by mindnumbed 121 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BU2B
    BU2B

DD, they are on a sort of tightrope. You will never see the encouragement to examine your beliefs in the Kool-Aid WT for instance, but you might in the Asleep! Magazine, designed for the public to get people out of whatever religion they are currently in and into the cult. Once they join the Borg, this magically no longer applies. Quotes like the one I posted, while true, were never meant to be applied within the WT.

My question is, what would a sleeping JW say if they had a Return Visit, say a Mormon or Scientologists, who tell them they can no longer accept JW literatrash, or accept their return visits because their Elders told them it is apostate "poison". And they do not want to have their minds twisted by the "smooth speech" of the JWs. They are just using the same logic JWs do...

• Joepublisher1
    Joepublisher1

Like so many have commented, I too didn't need an apostate site to start questioning things. I was stumbled by the 1995 generation change, and years later when the internet took off, it caused me to investigate what happened in 1975 (before I was a JW). The stories I read were a revelation to me and they had an authentic sound to them. They didn't sound like sour-grapes - just facts, many facts that proved beyond a doubt that the rank-and-file was lead to believe that the end was going to come in the fall of 1975.

Remember folks, the rank and file didn't come up with this, it was the "WTS leaders" that originated this teaching. I'm sure there are many JWs who are reading this right now and saying to themselves, 'Boy, something is wrong... I should investigate this further.' The nail on the coffin for me was that there are so MANY issues/problems/etc. with this religion that I never realized until I started researching the WTS "outside" the walls of the WTS literature. That was very revealing to me as well because the WTS paints this white-washed picture of themselves and their history. And, for any outright mistakes (like 1975), they simply "spin it" (like politicians), "Oh, at least we were awake spiritually speaking".

Just to repeat what caused me to turn away from JWs, I was stumbled by the Governing Body when they changed "the 1914 generation teaching" in 1995 - something the Liveforever book called "a certainty"! (Apparently, nothing is a certainty in this religion, not even the defintion of the Faithful and Discreet Slave.) Honestly, I'm not sure I understand how some of the old-timers aren't crippled with disappointment - I believe some can't face the truth of what all these changes indicate - The WTS is not who they say they are. That realization can be devastating to someone who has embraced this religion as "the Truth" for all - or most of - their lives!

• JWB
    JWB

"I would appreciate the whole convention also! thank you, Maralee"

Maralee, in the words of that famous tennis player John McEnroe, "You cannot be serious!"

---
    Pistoff, great points. You know I can't help but think the organization helps to institutionalize people. What I mean is that JWs become so dependant upon the WTS that they can't live without it. So if the JWs want to use illustrations about people with dependancy problems, how about they go and take a look in the mirror?

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

This is part and parcel of how the WT maintains its iron-fisted control--instill as much self-doubt as possible in the rank and file. Isn't one of their favorite scrips "The heart is treacherous and desperate, who can know it?" or something along those lines? How many times is that trotted out in publications and in talks? Publishers are told over and over not to trust their own thinking, their own senses, their own ideas, that their imperfect, susceptible to Satan's machinations, their own imperfect heart, etc etc. So OF COURSE they shouldn't be thinking things through on their own and determining if apostate material is true or not! The average JW does not believe him/herself capable of doing so. After all, if Satan can mislead perfect humans and millions of perfect angels, he can easily mislead you or me!

That's why they need the organization to tell them what to think.

• lrkr
    lrkr

Good stuff here. So- if you want to F*** with their heads- dont display any of the "characteristics" of an apostate:

-dont be bitter

-dont claim to be a Witness

-be clear that you dont want to affect their faith.

My family cant figure me out- I dont match the standard list of any of the categories- stumbled, apostate, unrepentant sinner. Just dont wanna anymore.

• Moses Unedited
    Moses Unedited

I think the current posturing, and angry bluster by the Watchtower is a positive sign. Why would they devote so much time and use such vitriolic language to demonizing dissent and independent thinking if it were not a real threat to their claims of “God’s channel of communication”?

The internet has, and is doing enormous damage to their ability to hide the past and keep secrets. I can think of just a few examples of ex-JWs posting the entire Elder’s manual online, or one person I knew of who posted up years’ worth of letters sent from the branch office to the Elder bodies. This would not be an issue if it were not for the organization trying to keep so much secret from the rank and file, and continuously playing “3 Card Monte” with their doctrines.

Take the internet out of the equation, and how many modern ex-JWs would have heard of Ray Franz and read his books, for example?

The current chest-beating and venom spewing by the organization is purely and simply a sign of weakness, vulnerability, and a plain old lack of imagination. The vast majority of the general public just isn’t buying the bullshit anymore. And neither are more and more of the rank and file.

The internet is now a safe haven for discouraged and skeptical faders to now anonymously seek answers. The Watchtower is just trying to control the bleeding . . . . . . of their own self-inflicted stab wounds!

• spiritualstarved
    spiritualstarved

Saw in the program Sat. mornig Symposium Reject What is False among others "False Hopes". Can somebody upload the talk or send me some notes. Heard from a friend that there is again strong advice on standards for marriage. Thanks friends!

• spiritualstarved
    spiritualstarved

Saw in the program Sat. mornig Symposium Reject What is False among others "False Hopes".

Can somebody upload the talk or send me some notes.

Heard from a friend that there is again strong advice on standards for marriage.

Thanks friends!

• AnnOMaly
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Their scared of apostates but they should be scared of themselves, they personally helped me to wake up. I was a a DC in Florida a couple years ago and one of the GB was giving a talk and admitted that 1975 was a big deal. He said that most in Bethel believed the end was in 1975 and he claimed that he did not because of the scripture about not knowing the day or the hour. After that talk then I new 1975 was a bigger issue then i had been told, so my research began thanks to the GB.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit