Do some x witnesses shock you despite being one?

by Seraphim23 103 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I find it slightly annoying that all true believers think atheists are bitter. Not bitter, just awake. The only thing we all really have in common is that we used to believe the wtbts bullshit. Now that we don't we have all moved on, in different directions. I am shocked that anyone would get out of one religion and just segue into another one. But, it's none of my business what all of you believe.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Yep ... sometimes I even shock myself ... and I haven't been to a KH for decades...

• Satanus
    Satanus

I was trying to fix an electric baseboard heater and i was shocked. It was a 220 volter, so a good solid shock was felt by this xjw.

S

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

I'm going to chime in with what other have said.

I'm more shocked at the behaviour and beliefs of those in. Like, after a while you forget what is was like. Then you speak to them and they mention how they have to 'ask the elders' as if they are children, etc.

Also, something that I find hard to reconcile is one of my inlaws went back after reading 'Crisis of Conscience'. That's a head scratcher. He has control issues ... but still.

• jam
    jam

The fruit of the Spirit have come naturally since I left the borg, I still

love those that hate me(JW,s), the joy is overwhelming,

peace of mind (no invisible god watching my every move),

longsuffering( my JW family), kindness ( now I give blood),

goodness (I hate no one), faithfulness to my belief (agnostic

humanitarian), gentleness ( ask my wife) and self-control (haven,t

had a panic attack in years. And guess what, I,am not homophobia

and I found out the devil is not real. LOL

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

Seraphim: " Just curious if any x witnesses like me find some other x witnesses a bit shocking in their attitudes and ways. It could be anything. For example, turning to atheism ..."

Atheism? Shocking!

In the last board I was kicked out of ..."

You were kicked off another board? Shocking!

Any thoughts? "

I'm shocked!

• talesin
    talesin

When I first joined here, I had been out of the KH for about 25 years, and I was truly shocked. Shocked that so many exJWs had turned to another religion. My exploration of religions (the mainstream ones - Hinduism, Xtianity, Islam, Buddhism,,, hmm, what did I leave out? Taoism?) during my 20s led me to believe that Marx was right "Religion is the opium of the masses" (to paraphrase), or to quote John Lennon "God is a concept by which we measure our pain".

That led me to a place of non-belief in any deity. That's it, end of story, close the book.

xo

tal

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

I even shock myself at times.

zed

• talesin
    talesin

From the OED (Oxford English Dictionary)

Definition of religion

noun

• the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods:ideas about the relationship between science and religion
    • a particular system of faith and worship:the world’s great religions
    • a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance:consumerism is the new religion

To the OP. Please define/explain how my non-belief in a deity connotates (or implies) any 'religious' belief system.

Thanks.

xo

tal

EDIT: trying to fix formatting.....

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I find it shocking that any one who has been a dub, then comes to the realization that they are a sham, would expect anyone to come to any particular way of belief after leaving the religion. There is no rulebook on this. We all moved on in our own way, some to another religion, some to no religion. I no longer judge people for their religious beliefs. Athism seems more valid to me that the JW cult, and just as valid as any other belief system. I never had a problem with swearing, so that doesn't shock me in the least.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit