My Parents Reply to my Letter

by cofty 60 Replies latest members private

• fresh prince of ohio
  • Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

I am so happy for you and hopefully you can start building a good relationship with them. With your health issue stress is one of the worst things for it and having a better relationship with your parents will be a huge relief.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Cofty: I went back and reread the letter you sent your parents. I got all chocked up- it was beautifully written. It obviously had an effect on your parents. I hope that the situation can improve for you and for them too. Your parents are victims--captives of a concept. I feel sorry for them too.

Wishing you a good outcome with your health issues.

• whathappened
    whathappened

We are all so happy for you, dear friend. Let us know how things go in the future. It is gratifying to know that the organization is losing its grip on the flock. My daughter and son in law have agreed not to shun me as long as I don't try to get them to leave the organization. I am not df'd but they know I am a card carrying "apostate."

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi cofty, You set a great example of confronting your parents in a classy, compassionate, and forgiving manner. I hope that more ex-JWs follow your example instead of making excuses for the JWs who are shunning. As you pointed out, it should not matter that you are ill to your parents. The WTBTS promoted shunning hurts normal family relationships.

Get well soon!

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

cofty, this is wonderful news. Your mum and dad sound so warm and caring once they put aside the cult personality.

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

Well done Cofty! That letter was a cracker! You made them dig real deep. Shunning is actually quite stressful for some dubs. I know, because I used to shun my parents when I was IN. The emotional response from them could be because they are actually relieved to not have to do it anymore?..

Hopefully some good times ahead!

• Fernando
    Fernando

Awesome!

• cofty
    cofty

Thank you all for your support and encouragement.

I have realistic expectations about how much my relationship with my parents will improve, but its progress.

To be honest if I had the magic bullet that would convince them the Watchtower was a cult I don't think I would use it. They are in their 70s and their entire life and identity has been defined as JWs for the past 50 years.

Something a little closer to normal will be good.

My love and respect to everybody dealing with the broken relationships caused by this wicked cult.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

You got a good outlook, yes at their age what good is convincing them the religion is bogus, I hope things go well with you and your parents and you get things as normal as possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit