But Satan DIDNT lie!???

by mrbunyrabit 52 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Well Paul does treat parts of Genesis as allegorical. Galatians 4:21-31 for instance. It has to be said as well that most of the time when people use an allegorical story to make a point, they don’t point out that it is an allegory they are using. If I say `sour grapes` to someone, I don’t have to point out that foxes do not actually literally speak Athenian Greek. No one does this! To do so would muddy the waters and dilute the point I was making. We also know that Paul was no stranger to tailoring his message delivery to the audience he was talking to. Combining these facts together means it is well possible Paul didn’t think it was literal. However even if he did think it was all literal it doesn’t really matter.

I’m not sure what you mean by the pregnant comment.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

I’m not sure what you mean by the pregnant comment.

I've not heard of an "implied lie" before. I thought either something is a lie or it is not.

An "implied lie" is like a woman saying she's "sort of pregnant". She either is or she isn't- "sort of" is not possible.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

You have never heard of untruths being implied on purpose? Strange!

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

An "untruth" is a lie.

Pretending to imply it is something else doesn't change the fact that it's still a lie.

• mrbunyrabit
    mrbunyrabit

Damn, you guys made some Awesome points (Hormones in angels, god punishing children for the fathers sins, god interfering in earthly matters)!!!

" Pretending to imply it is something else doesn't change the fact that it's still a lie."

Good point.

the thing is with this statement " The lie is an implied lie" is (as AndDontCallMeShirley said) that a truth can't turn into a lie.

The reason however, why you told that truth can differ (to mean good or to mean bad by telling it) non the less a truth is a truth and a lie is a lie. There's no way around that one.

(Seraphim23 Reminds me of this)

Lied to me by telling the Truth

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

nothing wrong with old Beelzebub, gets far too much bad press, the angry, evil ,perverted ,blood thirsty Hebrew god of the OT is the one mankind should be made aware of, not that she exists

• mP
    mP

Satan didnt exist in Genesis. Tis is another chrsitian lie, where they write into the bible in part to try and make it seem that there are only two gods in the bible, Jehovah on the side of good and Satan on the dark side.

The snake is simply a talking snake. Why Eve listened to a talking snake we might never know. For his punishment of talking to Eve and Adam he is made to slide on the ground. Apparently before that snakes breathed fire and flew. Snakes were holy animals in the past. The ancients thought they were magical and reborn each time they shed their skin. Lets not forget snakes are always associated with magic in the Torah. Think Moses and the Egyptian priests with their magical sticks/snakes and Nehustan the copper snake.

• mrbunyrabit
    mrbunyrabit

@mP I've always wanted to meet the Author of Harry Potter. How'de do ma'am

• mP
    mP

Comatose:

The whole tree of life thing is a mess. Angels guarding the way with swords before there even swords invented. Why did God let Cain kill Abel? I mean he carried on a conversation with him. He protected him after it. It doesn't make sense.

mP:

If you look at the etymology of Cain in Hebrew and understand the "mark" you will appreciate the story. Basically Cain means blacksmith. The mark is also found in another blacksmith god story namely Vulcan. In the anceint world blacksmiths were considered very important people. They can of course make weapons and tools and these are far to valuable even if they did kill a lousy farmer. You will also find that Cain is protected by God (aka the king) seven times.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Seraphim - Jesus referenced the flood as I have had pointed out to me many times in the past. He didnt make note of it being a parable or story, but spoke of it as a warning and a true event. So I don't think the argument that it is all parable is able to stand. There is a valid (and wrong in my opinion) reason why people view the Genesis account as literal.

However, its all hog wash.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit