How do you prepare your taco meats?

by Iamallcool 27 Replies latest jw friends

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Forgot about my Tilalpia tacos

I saok the fish in beer with onions and garlic overnight. Then I cook the fish in an iron skillit with a little salt, red pepper, turmeric, and tyme.

• Diest
    Diest

KY. What? That was the real point of this post so I just went down to his level. We all know the poster. LOL

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

Forgot about pulled pork tacos.

1 pork butt. Put in crock pot with a can of stewed tomatoes, a can of diced tomatoes, and a can of peppers in Adobo sauce. Add black pepper, sea salt, cayenne pepper, chili pepper, garlic, and red onion. Cook on "Low" for several hours or overnight. Pull the pork butt out, shred, and put back into the crock pot and mix it in with tomato mixture and slow cook for a bit longer.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Wha, all that sounds delish. I've been thinking about doing something with chorizo and potatoes.

oh and RO I do something similar with a pork butt and my crockpot along with some pinto beans. I think I'll give your recipe a try. It sounds great.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I can eat some chorizo, and I suppose it's easy as it doesn't need any seasoning, bt I've heard one too many chorizo stroies

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I've never cooked with it. It'll be something new to try on the hubby and kids.

• tinker
    tinker

wha, sounds like the Iron Skillet is the 'secret ingredent' to all your recipes. Did you inherit yours?

• tinker
    tinker

I'm from SoCal so grew up with some pretty good Taco's. Recently visited friends in VA and their version of taco's was plain ground meat with Velveta "cheese?" in a boxed hard shell tortilla.....I almost cried

• Unicorns
    Unicorns

The America's Test Kitchen recipe is the only taco recipe I use. Making your own spice blend is way tastier than buying a pre-mixed one.

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 onion, minced
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 teaspoon coriander
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    salt
    1 lb lean ground beef
    1/2 cup canned tomato sauce (I use Hunt's)
    1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
    2 teaspoons cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon light brown sugar
    8 taco shells

Directions:

Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until simmering.
    Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
    Stir in the garlic, spices, and 1 teaspoon salt.
    Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
    Stir in the ground beef.
    Cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
    Stir in the tomato sauce, broth, vinegar, and sugar.
    Simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Brown a couple of pork steaks, put in the crock pot. Add two jalapenos and one ahaheim chile, roasted, peeled and chopped. Add one small chopped onion, a glug of vinegar, a handful of chopped cilantro and a pinch of dried Mexican oregano. Add a little bit of water, cover and cook until the meat is very tender. Shred the meat and return to the pot, discard the bones. If you like, add potatoes diced into small cubes. Cover and cook until the potatoes are tender.

Makes wonderful tacos.

Also, turkey thigh, cooked until very tender and easy to shred in Herdez green chile sauce with a little chicken broth, diced onion and cilantro.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit