How do you prepare your taco meats?

by Iamallcool 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Iamallcool
  • Jomavrick
    Jomavrick

Pepper, Taco seasoning, Jalepeno dust, some tomato sauce and melted velveta cheese,,,

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix Recipe (cuz store brands have too much salt and other ingredients I'm not too crazy about):

Per pound of ground meat,

1 tablespoon chili powder

1/4 tsp onion powder

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/4 dried basil

1/2 tsp paprika

1 1/2 tsp cumin

1 tsp salt

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp cornstarch

1 chipotle cube

1/2 cup of water

*if doubling or tripling recipe do not increase salt the same. Add salt to taste.

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

its nacho business

• Dagney
    Dagney

Hi Mrs. Jones! What is a chipotle cube?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

It's a seasoning cube by Knorr. It's a shortcut but I think one can use the liquid from canned chipotle or purée a chipotle pepper for the same taste result.

• Jomavrick
    Jomavrick

mrsjones just outcooked me bigtime!

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

Brown 2 pounds lean hamburger, then add 1 can refried beans, 2 packages Old El Paso Reduced Sodium seasoning mix, 1 jar salsa, 1 1/2 cups water. Let simmer, uncovered, until thick. The salsa can be mild to hot, depending on your tolerance to heat.

Instead of using taco shells, I heat some Tostito Scoops chips in the microwave, then spoon on them the taco meat/bean mixture, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream, more salsa, and diced fresh tomatoes. Eat with fork or spoon or fingers.

I know this doesn't come close to authentic Tex-Mex, but I'm a Pennsylvanian, and this is as close as I can get. I think it's pretty tasty.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Many ways:

a really quick method is I take ground meat and mix it with a backed potato. Two thirds potato, one third meat. The only seasoning I use is salt and pepper. I take a couple of tablespoons of the mix and place it in a tortilla, fried in an iron skillit.

To prepare the chicken I boil the meat first. set that aside

In another pan I throw in some oil, onions, garlic, tomato, parsley, and bayleaf, a little salt and pepper. I then place the shredded chicken in this when the onions soften up and let it simmer until the chicken falls apart. I take that mix into a toprtilla and fry it up in an iron skillit.

I usually stuff my tacos with shredded cabbage, or a cabbage lettuce mix, chopped tomatos, Queso Fresca or grated parmasean cheese, and my own salsa.

Very occasionally I fry up some chop steak and potatoes in rhe same mix that I would use for the chicken, but I cook the meat and potatos in the mix, rather than cooking it separately.

My Family is from Zacatecas Mexico, and this is what they do with this gringo food

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

A marinade of some kind; depends on the protein.

Fish (usually tilapia), shrimp: Lime juice, black pepper, sea salt, cayenne pepper, chili pepper, crush garlic, diced red onion or fresh chives. Grill (or broil if no grill.)

Steak (usually skirt steak): cross hatch score the meat, then marinate in 2 to 1 ratio of olive oil and red wine vinegar (softens the muscle fibers), add black pepper, sea salt cayenne pepper, chili pepper, crush garlic, diced red onion. After grilling/broiling a few min on each side, I let it rest and slice into strips across the grain.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit