What is the most damning watchtower publication?

by zound 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

The problem is, if you want to show a JW some old WT literature and they get even the slightest sense that you are trying to criticize their beliefs, they will not listen. They will just put their fingers in their ears and scream, "The light gets brighter! The light gets BRIGHTER!!". You have to be very subtle.

It's a cult.

• Darth Rutherford
    Darth Rutherford

Here's a link to a great site loaded with old publications for download:

http://archive.org/details/WatchTowerBibleandTractSocietyofPennsylvaniaWatchTowerpubs_0

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Hands down it is the Proclaimers book. Active JWs are inclined to think the old books are apostate forgeries. But they can get the Proclaimers book from the hall, and learn a lot of the history. It shows that the religion is a new religion, with a string of failed prophecies and personality clashes. It was the nail in the coffin for me. After that, a person can read the Studies in the Scriptures, particularly the Divine Plan of the Ages, and see 1914 is a pagan based hoax.

I also love the Millions Now Living will Never Die booklet. I was lucky enough to inherit the set of Studies in the Scriptures and the Millions booklet.

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

I tell everyone who will listen to read millions now living will never die and while they read it remember that if you didn't agree 100% with Rutherford s teachings you were DF'd just like what happened in the faith in action DVD. The DVD nicely documented how JR was berated for hours then he threw them out.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Avoid DF Family ‘’ Do not look for excuses to associate with a disfellowshipped family member, for example, through e-mail.’’ - w2013 1/15, p. 16, para. 19

vs:

Awake! 2009 July p.29 (p.28) "No one should be forced to worship in a way that he finds unacceptable or be made to choose between his beliefs and his family."

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

For me I think the book "The Nations Shall Know That I am Jehovah-How?" (1971)

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Punkofnice,

Don't forget: " Willful, continued, unnecessary association with disfellowshipped non-relatives despite repeated counsel.." Shepherd Book

Most dubs are told from the platform that talking to df'd relatives could get them df'd. Our C.O went on and on about this point at CA in the " Needs of the Circuit " talk. So once again we have the common dub being told one thing, and the Confidential Elder Handbook saying something different.

More double-standards.... The Shepherd book is great, but most dubs won't read it.

• tornapart
    tornapart

I would say the proclaimers book too. Not many JWs have actually read it. There's some real gems in there if you can winkle them out.

Divine Plan of the Ages with it's pyramid chart and the crazy Finished Mystery. The society is always making mention of these 'wonderful' books.

If only JWs would actually read them maybe it would wake them up.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Revelation - It's Grand Climax At Hand! was the publication that stumbled me the most. I could never get my head around the seven trumpet blasts in the Apocalypse being a series of JW conventions in the 1920's.

• Ding
    Ding

One way to discuss such publications is first to ask a JW how they envision the GB getting truth from Jehovah with which to feed the sheep.

After all, they are His channel of communication, right?

They will probably say that the GB members pray earnestly for guidance and diligently study the scriptures.

Establish that these brothers take their responsibilities as the FDS very seriously and carefully screen whatever the organization publishes as truth in Jehovah's name.

With that picture in mind, then have them read aloud some of the nonsense in the materials you've selected:

-- Pyramid measurements "proving" that Jesus returned in 1874

-- Leviathan being the locomotive

-- Distances in Revelation being the distance between Scranton, Pa. and Bethel by way of the Hoboken ferry

-- Michael the archangel being the Pope of Rome

If that isn't sufficient to make the point, ask them what Jehovah and Jesus thought when they saw this spiritual food coming off the presses, being taught as truth from Jehovah's table.

Ask them how quickly they think Jehovah and Jesus acted to correct the errors and give the GB new light.

Ask whether they believe Jehovah wanted the readers to accept all that as truth until such time as the GB decided to publish corrections.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit