Disgusted with JW Funeral Today!

by time2keepmoving 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• time2keepmoving
    time2keepmoving

My son grew up with one of the young brothers in the kingdom and after graduation both him and my son left the KH. The young man who left the hall fell into the wrong crowd and I mean a really dangerous crowd and as a result of him getting involved in illegal activity he was murdered. I really feel for this young man, because he was a decent kid. A lot of people tired to talk to him but he was headed for trouble real fast.

So many of the kids that left the hall (I feel) did not have the support that they needed within the organization, no youth groups, no positive alternatives offered to them so they would stay away from the wrong elements. No trips for the kids, activities, career / computer training, sports, dances, nothing. You beat them over the head about staying out of the world, but the Borg offers them nothing, no alternatives. All the millions of dollars they store up in that f-ing Brooklyn tower in the sky and they don't invest a dime in the youth, nothing! All the KH offers is weekly guilt-trip sessions to push magazines and books for the Borg, or the wonderful chance of performing slave labor on building projects or working like an indenture servant overseas - where the so call need is great. :rolling eyes: I just can't with them.

So the sister had this young man funeral at a funeral home (because of course she can't have it at the KH since he was murdered). She had this old elder gave the funeral eulogy and he didn't even know this young man. The young man who died name was only mentioned 3 times in an hour an 1/2 and of course they did the standard, genertic B.S. funeral talk they do at everybody's service. I was so disgusted!!

It sounded more like the talk you hear during Memorial Service than anything that would memorialize this person's life. There were so many young adults there that needed to hear something positive as well as a cautionary word about getting involved with the wrong kind of lifestyle that could end your life as quickly as it did this young man's (he died before seeing his 22nd birthday).

Man, I was rolling my eyes the whole time and when they asked everybody to bow their heads and pray, I just couldn't. I could not give an amen to that bogus, disrespectful service that never once spoke about this person and how a young life was lost before it was found.

• jgnat
    jgnat

There was a young man in my old church who died in tragic circumstances (not as horrible as the young man you knew). The young adults, who had all grown up together, set up a memorial Facebook page and remember him annually. You might suggest something similar to your son.

• Jomavrick
    Jomavrick

Sorry about that time. That is infuriating. I had a lifelong Witness relative that supposedly commited suicide. The "service" they performed was a disgrace and most of the ex-witnesses who were family were similarly shocked and outraged that barely mentioned her name, didnt talk about who she was and what she accomplished her whole life,,,,,,, Its like all the JW's just wanted to pretend she wasnt ever alive and went on about the business of eating like it was a picnic.

The whole thing is just revolting,,,,,,,

• time2keepmoving
    time2keepmoving

@ Jomavrick - Yes,they did the same thing at my mother's service (who was also a life-long JW). Fortunately there were more people who knew and cared about my mom, then not. But here was some of those mixed in as well and I was soooo close to cursing them out that day!!!

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Amazing how they can turn something which should be heartfelt and personal, into just another self-boasting demonstration.

I'm surprised they didn't manage to squeeze an annoucement about remembering to hand in the monthly reports during the eulogy.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I swear there is nothing worse than a JW funeral...nothing. We endured the same for my mother, it was abyssmal.

I think jgnat offered a good suggestion to remember the young man in a more loving way.

• time2keepmoving
    time2keepmoving

@redvip2000 - Man, you said a mouth full! So right!!! The way they handled this, took my disgust for them to a whole new level.

@jgnat - good idea, thank you for the suggestion, I will tell my son about this.

• cantleave
    cantleave

This is why I would never attend a JW funeral, not even for a family member.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

The hypocrites!

I have heard JWs roundly ciriticize "worldly" funerals for just the same things as you describe.

You are also right on the mark about them not caring about their youths, and in no way trying to make it attractive to young people. Statistically, two out of every three of those raised "In The Truth" give it away.

That in itself ought to rate as a miracleL

- i.e. that they can even hang on to as many as one third of those born into their #$#%^ religion!

Bill.

• time2keepmoving
    time2keepmoving

My son was just as outraged as I was and he quickly exited (like I did) after the service, so no one would try to give us the 'come back to the hall' jargon.

I wanted to comfort the sister who lost her son, so bad (because she really is a sweet person) but I knew since I was D'f'd, I don't know how she would have handled it. Maybe between all the grief she would have forgotten protocol and spoke, since we use to be close. I just handed one of her relatives the sympathy card I brought for the family and left, I felt that was best.

The mother was just racked with grief, I could tell she was just broken down, my heart just fell, I knew if I didn't get out of there, I would break down as well. It was a very painful and sorrowful moment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit