The Truth Changes: Watchtower of July 15, 2013

by Doug Mason 56 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Pterist
    Pterist

Maccauk11***** The Watchtower Society is embracing preterism or partial preterism*****

Exactly, I got the same impression since I now see end time eschatologies from a Partial Preterism perspective. Christ said he would "ALWAYS" be present, and what better date for the transfer from earthly Israel to Spiritual Israel than 70 AD when the earthly symbol of Gods Name and Presence was destroyed forever and transferred to the Zion of God, and the great crowd of nations has been coming out of that tribulation that occurred on the first century Christians ever since!

Thanks Doug for a great thread and information.

Thanks Eden and Yadda yadda2 for the PDF links.

Shalom

• L3G
    L3G

Doug,

Amazing presentation---and all the more so since you were never a Witness! Thx for the work.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

A good and long-standing friend has provided me with a few corrections, including:

Page 2 should read: Jesus and his Father actually came to inspect the Earth during the Great War and they performed a “cleansing"

Remove the qq. (red face here).

Place quotation marks after "Great Tribulation on page 16.

Should be: Previous Truth on these parables (page 19) - that is, make "parable" to be plural.

Should be: they appointed Rutherford (page 29) - not "it"

I have uploaded the corrected file.

Apologies,

Doug

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

MACC: "The Watchtower Society is embracing preterism or partial preterism. I read the magazine and they did not evne mention the "parousia" of Christ just the great tribulation. As for me i beleive all things were fulfillled in the 1st century."truly i tell you ( jesus speaking those right in front of him) some of you standing here will NOT die until you see the son of man coming in his Kindom". Also he said they would not finish going through all the tribes of Israel before he returned on the clouds. Mankind has been in spiritual bandage and deception ofr 2000 years .The Kingdom is here within the hearts of True believers. It cannot be seen, it is no part of this world, it is not built with bricks an mortar it is spiritual and here now."

LARS: JWs believe that the "7 times" prophecy links the 2nd coming to the fall of Jerusalem by 2520 years. Thus the year of the 2nd coming is specific and well into the future. Therefore, when Jesus said some standing there would see him before their death, he was literally saying that some from the 1st century would never die but live on and "survive" down to our time without dying!

That's the academic choice. Either Christ's statement when we presume those with him had a normal lifespan means he would return within that generation, OR it means that some during his time would never die for over 1900 years when he returned 2520 years after the fall of Jerusalem. When we examine scripture, the latter is the case.

Thus, put yourself into the context of the 1st Century congregation. There were two groups: those who would die and need to be resurrected and those who would continue to live. John and Paul were in the later category.

That this is the case is clear from the last verses of the Book of John. Before his ascension, Jesus told Peter which group he was in. Jesus told Peter how he would die. When Peter asked about John, Jesus basically said it was none of Peter's business which group John was in, that is, whether John would never die or not...

JOHN 21:for me?” So he said to him: “Lord, you know all things; you are aware that I have affection for you.” Jesus said to him: “Feed my little sheep. 18 Most truly I say to you, When you were younger, you used to gird yourself and walk about where you wanted. But when you grow old you will stretch out your hands and another [man] will gird you and bear you where you do not wish.” 19 This he said to signify by what sort of death he would glorify God. So, when he had said this, he said to him: “Continue following me.”

20 Upon turning about Peter saw the disciple whom Jesus used to love following, the one who at the evening meal had also leaned back upon his breast and said: “Lord, who is the one betraying you?” 21 Accordingly, when he caught sight of him, Peter said to Jesus: “Lord, what will this [man do]?” 22 Jesus said to him: “If it is my will for him to remain until I come, of what concern is that to you? You continue following me.” 23 In consequence, this saying went out among the brothers, that that disciple would not die. However, Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but: “If it is my will for him to remain until I come, of what concern is that to you?”

So the reality of some not dying at all until many centuries later when Christ came, was a concept that was common to the 1st Century Christians. The concept of preterism is based on the idea that some with him would have a normal lifespan. But it is clear many from that generation would die out and some would outlive them and be present when Christ returned. Now, whether you date the fall of Jerusalem in 607 BCE, 587 BCE or 529 BCE, you still get dates in the 20th Century for the 2nd coming.

Preterism has to ignore the dating of the 2nd coming via prophecy to a specific year in connection to certain events. Paul confirms that he would be among those who would die when he says "we who are surviving down to the Lord's day..." at 1 Thess 4:15-18. What I like is that he uses the word "surviving" to demonstrate this was a very, very long time to remain alive.

When Jesus was on the torture stake, he spoke to Mary and John saying that John was to take care of Mary and Mary was to take care of John. Mary had her own children to take care of her in her old age, so why was John being told this? John was Mary's nephew. It's because Mary as well as John were to be in the group that survived down to our day, never dying.

Now, of course, I'm the Christ, so at some point I did get to see Paul and John but also Mary.

ACTS 13:41 "Behold it, you scorners, and wonder at it, and vanish away, because I am working a work in your days, a work that you will by no means believe even if anyone relates it to you in detail."

• maccauk11
    maccauk11

looks they they have embraced preterism

• trebor
    trebor

Doug,

That is excellent work. Thank you for sharing it.

• Quendi
    Quendi

bookmarked

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Interestingly, I didn't see any reference to 'bright light getting lighter and lighter' (Proverb 4:18) or the usual expression 'update' or 'revised' pertaining to all these changes in this magazine. Maybe WT is suffering from overuse syndrome from past changes!

However, I did notoice about 26 or more other words and expressions to explain away all the flip flopping in this magazine:

1. 'Clarifications' (4 times)

2. 'Clearer understanding' (7 times)

3. 'Clarified' (2 times)

4. 'Previously we thought' (3 times)

5. 'In the past we have stated' (1 time)

6. 'We understood' (1 time)

7. 'Adjustment' (1 time)

8. 'Further consideration' (1 time)

9. 'This adjusted view' (1 time)

10. 'Adjusts' (1 time)

11. 'Adjustment in understandering' (2 times)

12. 'We thought' (1 time)

13. 'Our understanding needed to be clarified' (1 time)

I think this Watchtower magazine (7/15/2013 issue) takes the cake in how many times in the history of The Society's references to past mistakes in understanding God's Word have been made in just one of its journals! Amen to that!!!

P.S.: I may have missed some, feel free to add to the list.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

.....And not one apology from WT to its reading public for having misled and misinformed everyone over the years on these 'vital' truths!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

DEMOTED!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit