Why isn't anyone on JWN invited to the Facebook discussion by AAWA tonight?

by wha happened? 159 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

"I know Cedars is pissed for me 'allowing' things to be discussed here "

It's important to have this discussion. I was really surprized whan I learned that a AAWA-thread was locked on request by Cedars some days ago. This was an alarm-bell for me. It smells information control.

I think a lot of people at a JW-forum is very sensitive to information control...as well as to some other things we have seen these days. "Huge mistakes were made...but not by us" .

The explanation with "overlapping groups" seems not to be fully credible.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

Isn't the quickest, simplest and safest solution to close the group immediately, then start a new one and only allow controlled membership with CLEAR description of what the implications of joining it are? IMO it appears people have become too obsessed with the body-count of members, that's the only thing I can imagine as a reason not to get this fixed ASAP.

I agree with this Simon. It would take less than 24 hours and it would make me personally feel more comfortable being part of the group. The checkpoints are in place currently but its the first 1300 members that are in before the checkpoints that should warrant genuine concern. It would be nice to see AAWA address this very specific element.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

That's great Tylin. Maybe you can get Cedars "ear" with that massage...or the group administrator. Probably they will listen more to an "insider".

• besty
    besty

Simon - you know more than most how frustrating it is to get something off the ground and then keep it alive while the peanut gallery paying customers commentate, dissect and 2nd guess your every move.

IMHO we should give AAWA some space to do what they are trying to do.

My advice to the conscious class - living a double life might cost extra now and again. Us DF's have paid the price. If you have some live eggs in a social media basket, you best watch that basket pretty good.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Are you people kidding me?

We have a schism in what is probably the loosest confederation in history - JW apostates? How is that even possible?

One important life lesson that I learned while working in food service at a circuit assembly is that there's more than one way to core a head of lettuce.

JWN is one way to help disaffected JWs to find their path out, and AAWA is another.

Why not just pull the bunched-up panties out of your butts and live and let live, for pity's sake?

• Simon
    Simon
    Simon - you know more than most how frustrating it is to get something off the ground and then keep it alive while the peanut gallery paying customers commentate, dissect and 2nd guess your every move.
    IMHO we should give AAWA some space to do what they are trying to do.

Defintley, I agree - I just hate seeing them make such mistakes and deparately want them to stop inflicting this damage on themselves. There is a lot of 'prior art' on how organizations facing bad news should handle things. I do hope they turn things around.

My advice to the conscious class - living a double life might cost extra now and again. Us DF's have paid the price. If you have some live eggs in asocial media basket, you best watch that basket pretty good.

While the internet gave WTS faders access to information and anonimity, times have now changed somewhat (certainly since I left!) and social-media has taken much of that away and there will probably be many who end up getting caught out by this. All the more reason not to promote any thing that may put people who aren't as aware at any risk.

• Simon
    Simon
    The checkpoints are in place currently but its the first 1300 members that are in before the checkpoints that should warrant genuine concern

I'm not confident there can be any checkpoints - how do you vet people who request membership? There need to be big-bold warnings of the implications of joining the group: that you expose your identity to a an unknown set of people who's identities and motives they cannot be certain of.

As I've said before, I just don't think facebook is at all suitable for this and shouldn't be promoted for this use.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

One doesn't need to be a lawyer, judge, or jury to read into the following words from the Arizona Corporations Commission which were in response to a direct question of whether or not it was legal to use an alias in incorporation documents and draw the necessary conclusions:

"It is a felony to misrepresent information on documents submitted to us. If you go to the first link below, click on the statute link on the left, click on the corporate statues and do a search under misrepresentation, you will find some matches. This includes ARS 10-202 (i) and I copied that part below.

I. Any person who executes or contributes information for a certificate of disclosure and who intentionally makes any untrue statement of material fact or withholds any material fact with regard to the information required in subsection D, paragraph 1 of this section is guilty of a class 6 felony."

I do agree that this will require a bit of legal manuevering to get out of and connect the dots, and that issue itself is best left to the professionals. I wouldn't exactly discount what the ACC says, just because a non-legal professional bothered to ask them a direct question.

• okage
    okage

@Simon:

Isn't the quickest, simplest and safest solution to close the group immediately, then start a new one and only allow controlled membership with CLEAR description of what the implications of joining it are? IMO it appears people have become too obsessed with the body-count of members, that's the only thing I can imagine as a reason not to get this fixed ASAP

This. All of this.

These words sum up the direction the WTS should go and focuses on the major point of a body-count as the driving force for ignoring serious issues. Cedars has taken all he knows from his time as a Witness and started an outreach group that is being run in a directly similar fashion as the Organization.

Even the puff piece that labels the trouble-maker as an over-excited facebook user. The GB blamed the Rank and File for thinking 1975 and 1914 were going to happen, calling them over-zealous brothers.

As it's been stated on here, correcting the security issue would take five minutes. What you proposed would take a day.

• alecholmesthedetective
    alecholmesthedetective

Are you people kidding me?

We have a schism in what is probably the loosest confederation in history - JW apostates? How is that even possible?

One important life lesson that I learned while working in food service at a circuit assembly is that there's more than one way to core a head of lettuce.

JWN is one way to help disaffected JWs to find their path out, and AAWA is another.

Why not just pull the bunched-up panties out of your butts and live and let live, for pity's sake?

My thoughts exactly.

Alec

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit