Why isn't anyone on JWN invited to the Facebook discussion by AAWA tonight?

by wha happened? 159 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• besty
    besty

My 0.02

Everyone has different capabilities, circumstances, motivations and desire to affect our own lives and those of others. In this issue of diminishing the capabilty of a high control religion like the Watchtower an individual can attempt to help themselves, help their immediate network or cast the net wider and try to help a larger community.

We know the stories of people who are DF'd and delighted with the absolute immediate freedom to do as they please. We know the stories of people extracating themselves and their family/friends with a succesful fade. We know the stories of long term fade with limited results in helping others. We know the stories of people being unwittingly outed or turned in by family and then DF'd against their wishes, but who later recognise being DF'd was a blessing in disguise, or not. Mileage varies and there is no one size fits all answer.

What I do know is that those individuals in our community who have helped tens of thousands of people over a period of many years have used their real identity. Barbara Anderson, Randy Watters, Bill Bowen, Paul Grundy, Simon Green, Ray Franz and many others eg Candace Conti more recently. The exception might be the limited impact made over a short period by 'V' - Watchtower Comments for a time managed a high profile anonymously - close to 400k views on YouTube.

Whilst the AAWA name might have been better chosen - Freeminds.org, JWFactscom, WatchtowerDocuments.com all say what they are, not what they are against - their goal of providing a combined resource to help a lot of people globally is one that very few people have the capabilities, circumstances, motivations and desire to carry out.

So more power to them, lets support them, offering help and advice in a positive way where we are qualified to do so. For example it seems that a social media expert could add a lot of value. Any vounteers?

Two pieces of advice to AAWA:

"Pay no attention to what critics say. No statue has ever been put up to a critic." Jean Sibelius

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mistakes-Were-Made-but-Not/dp/1905177216 - the best $10 I spent.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

So more power to them, lets support them, offering help and advice in a positive way where we are qualified to do so. For example it seems that a social media expert could add a lot of value. Any vounteers?

They have gotten plenty of constructive criticism. The issue is their refusal to fix the security breach. You also can't confuse the actions of the company with the people. There is no reason to support a corporation that is knowingly allowing a security breach with the potential to harm people to continue, especially when the fix is so easy.

That does not mean in any way that we don't still like Paul, Barb, Lady Lee, etc.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

It's clear that a decision has been made by the board of AAWA to disengage from any discussion regarding this matter on JWN so I don't think you're going to get any further answers here.

I personally will not be getting involved at this stage, partly because I disagree with the choice of name but mostly because the lack of concern for people's privacy and attempts to shut down discussion are disconcerting to me.

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

I fully support what may result from AAWA raising awareness about the WTS

the four issues that the wts may be forced to reform as a byproduct of public outcry

the mishandling of child abuse and domestic violence

thirdly, shunning

And lastly the blood issue

but there is a huge resource available from faders and from Jehovah's witnesses themselves that AAWA may benefit from utilising. But they need to show that that they respect privacy. The rhetoric we have heard, which when used against WT is great, does not wash with those who have had their eyes opened.

• venetian
    venetian

Besty

Thank you for your 0.02, much appreciated. I agree totally.

Here's the latest on this matter from AAWA

http://jwactivists.org/blog/an-eventful-journey-summing-up-aawas-launch/

"Pay no attention to what critics say. No statue has ever been put up to a critic." Jean Sibelius

Oh so true.

• venetian
    venetian

entirelypossible

"You are 100% wrong on this. There is no scenario in which their behavior or any attempt at justification is acceptable."

Really? No scenario at all??

Wow.

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

The link reads like a self-congratulatory WT report on a District assembly.

I smell the smell of some big egos here..

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Yes absolutely no negativity there towards JWN at all....

• eyesropen
    eyesropen

Imagine what would happen if everyone 'hiding' came out into the open and joined together to show the world what the Watchtower is all about??

The jwn was a great site for me to connect to when I needed it...when I was fading. However, sorry to say, it has become such a negative experience to be on here lately. The constant criticism of EVERYTHING and EVERYONE is not encouraging at all.

Venetian-Thank you for your time on this thread. I am in agreement with you. AAWA is starting something great. In the past, there have been many individual voices bringing awareness of the harmful Watchtower polices. Its hard to hear one voice. With AAWA, they are uniting these voices. They will be heard this time.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Venetian,

At one point early on one of the board members "juanV(something) admitted here in a thread that the "seeret" group was set to "open" for a period of time. I believe this was the point that people were not only added without permission, but also the no longer "secret" group was showing up on their own personal page where it could be seen by others. Then, later, the board changed it back to "secret" again. I saw upset people posting about it within hours of the "open" period and the upset/angry posters here were at first begging the board to delete the group, then reopen it again as "secret" so all people would need to ask to be re-added. No one would be there without knowing, and the group administrator would have to give permission. ( I still don't have a clue as to how anyone could identify a "mole" though.) I can't imagine how one could do that and contacting each person who was in the group by a PM to let them know. It seems like an overwhelming task, but, this is when some of the the posters who were upset then became angry. Some of those added people are still in the group, and the potential for serious problems for some are still there.

The concern is specifically for those people who were added without knowledge. People who might not use facebook often and were friends with people who added them without thier knowledge. That is a serious, serious matter. Facebook is horrible about privacy, but some may have never would have joined an obvious Antiwatchtower group, or posted anything to suggest they would support AAWA (even if they did) because their real identity was used on facebook. Some of those added may be people who would turn in others, some may be faders, some have no interest at all, etc. It is that concern over those people who were added without consent, and may still not even know what is going on, that is so bothersome.

i can appreciate the dilemma the board was in by that time, but the main concern should be for those who may be jeopardized, and the effects of that may not show up after a longer period of time than just a week. Facebook security is bad. It is smart not to use real names, but the fact is, many have and still do. The integrity of the "secret" group was compromised when it was set to 'open" for a period of time. It remains to be seen just how many could be affected by this.

That said, I support the AAWA and the mission, as I believe even those who are complaining here so much about the issue also support their mission, (even the name complainers) and have been so very excited about the group . The rest of the AAWAs actions are exciting and welcomed, and I personally look forward to the future of the group. I also sincerely hope that the Facebook incident is as the board currently believes- that no one else is hurt by this. It's just that the board, nor anyone else, can know this for certain until enough time has passed for it to show up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit