Appeal to NBC Dateline

by Amazing 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

Amazing,

You've already sent it, I guess. I only had one minor point-of-order to make and here it is:

: Worldwide, there are about 2 million former JWs, many of these are likewise patiently waiting for the Dateline program.

That is irrelevant. What IS relevant is that there are a considerable number of JWs and ex-JWs who were victims of Watchtower Policies and practices. I'm sure Dateline is not interested in making non-sexually abused ex-JWs have yet another reason to feel good that they left.

Also, I cannot help but believe that DateLine knows as much, if not more, about the current Catholic Church crisis. After all, news is their business and they've spent well over a year in preparation for this piece.

Nonetheless, maybe your comments will build a fire under them.

On the other hand, I'm worried as to WHY they have not scheduled a release date given that we dummies think NOW is the perfect time for it.

For the record, I don't believe a whit about those comments made that the WTS is so "powerful" and so "rich" that they can intimidate or buy off the people at Dateline who have worked so hard to bring this story to light. This is truly "new" light that dubs won't want to hear. I know Brooklyn won't want to hear about it. But they caused the problems in the first place, and their judgement day is nigh. I hope Ted Jaracz gets fried. He's earned it.

I have one final thought, Amazing. I almost started a new thread on this one, but your topic makes that unnecessary. I was thinking over the last few days that dubs who don't use the Internet would be abuzz over this Catholic Church scandel and would be talking among themselves at how horrible "Poop" John Paul was/is and how horrible and corrupt the Catholic Church is with this sexual abuse of children and cover-up problem they now face. I was wondering what their reaction would be if Dateline aired almost exactly the same stories in the last few or the next few days. Wouldn't THAT be a hoot? I'm sure those same gossiping dubs would quickly change the subject! "What's your favorite color" is one of their diversionary tactics when the facts smack them right in their faces.

Farkel

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

Amazing...... The letter is superb as written. Respectful, insightful and persuasive.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

It is a good idea to send them a prodding note. Think I’ll shorten mine considerably. Those guys won’t read lots of long mail.

Sam Beli

I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted. Solomon

• mpatrick
    mpatrick

excellent letter...I hope you don't mind if I copy and paste on www.beliefnet.org (multi-faith forum)

• Yadirf
    Yadirf
    While Jehovah's Witnesses are considerably smaller than the Roman Catholic Church, and thereby have less overall influence on our national culture, they do enjoy a disproportionate share of public attention, known for going house to house as no other religious group.

Nice of you to acknowledge that Jehovah's Witnesses are distinguished by their house to house work. I like that, "as no other religious group". That means that all the other so-called "Christian" churches are found sitting on their butts when it comes to obeying the very thing that Jesus instructed his disciples to do, namely, "Go make disciples". -- Matthew 28:19, 20.

Daniel 11:35 ... a KEY prophecy that must be fulfilled before the "time of the end" gets underway.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I think that was a brilliant letter Amazing.

It would be good if this program aired. At the same time, it's impact IMO will be minimal.

I think there must be reasons for Dateline not be airing this program. Likely it is the difficulty in proving a direct link between the Organization and abusers vs. incompetent elders and abusers.

I really think the Society would not hessitate to sue them with a huge lawsuit if Dateline makes assertions they cannot back up. Dateline is probably being very cautious.

Path

• Black Man
    Black Man

I think it's time to admit that a lot of us put too many eggs in this basket. I hope everything does come to fruition on the story...BUT we have all put so much blood, sweat and tears into HOPING that this thing would fly to the point that if and when it does...it'll just be a letdown anyway.

• JT
    JT

While i hope that NBC keeps the project on the table

i find it so sad to see so many posters almost act like they are still in WT

I maybe reading this wrong but when you got folks up here talking about "THEY HAVE BEEN LIED TO" , just because media company has decided not to air a program is realy sad

the number of tv shows, movies, speical reports that never make it off the cutting room floor is huge.

it sounds as if some of you have put your very lives on the line

if any of you think that this will be the downfall of wt - i feel sorry for you.

religions have always had stuff in the closet.

i think some of you need to lighten up some- you guys are taking this TV show too serious.

IF it airs great, but if it doesn't are you really going to be devastated like some of you make it sound

I personally have spoken with a number of Key folks involved in this project, and while i hope all goes as planned, i am realist enough to know that this is America and here very little happens that doesn't involve Money

so if NBC feels that they are coming in second fiddle , a day late and dollar short behind the catholic church sex scandle and don't want to move forward what do you plan on doing - getting mad at the folks who have been working to put this together

what i hear are the same high and unrealist expectations we had in wt.
    for NBC THIS IS BUSINESS FOLKS

they could give a Rats A$$ about this issue, if they feel they can't make any money. Ted Kopel admited that ABC should have covered the Killing in the Congo over a year ago, some 2 million folks killed in the jungle. but they didn';t cover it

Do most folk in the Western countries really care about 10s of thousands of women getting raped by miltary guys in some backwards African country.

Yet allow one F15 fight plane to go down with an american female and she gets picked up by the Talban and it is reported that she is in a room being repeated raped,

Damn The US Media coverage would top the OJ trail and Pentagon
    would Level the Afgan country in 24 hours

The reason this issue is important to you and i is because of how we were impacted by the WT , but for most folks jw are just a pain in the A$$ on Sat morning, will they be better informed on this little funky group , o yea, but in 2 weeks they will be back to watching reruns of "Friends" "BET Comic View" and life will not change much for them.

for us it will be viewed as a good moral victory, but when you consider that there are perhaps less than 2 or 3 million jw like us who really understand the wt and how it works and there are perhaps over 20million folks who lives have been and will continue to be impacted

i think of all the folks who never got baptized - yet they will say

"If i ever join a religion it will be the jw cause they got the closest thing to the truth"

my sister is 35 yrs old, never baptized , left home at 16 , never set foot in a Hall, yet last year i found out that she has been raising her kids as jw, no sports, no dating, no holidays

i tried to explain to her about the wt and she went off on me

James you were at Bethel, Lady "C" was a regular pioneer, you were an elder , you used to give talks on the convention, HOW COULD YOU TALK ABOUT THE TRUTH THIS WAY.

It hurt so bad to see after all these years of not attending a Hall the WT indoctrination was as strong as every in her mind.

so folks the guys and gals who have worked on this issue have done thier part, it is up to a Corporation to air this now

and you guys need to understand that the folks who worked on this issue have no control over what is aired or not.

So set your expectations in Realist mode- haven't you been shafted enough in wt by setting your expectations so high.

I like the rest of you hope that NBC does air it, but i refuse to get bent all out of shape like some of you appear to be doing BASED on your post.

Perhaps you may want to inform yourselves on how TV shows actually make it to the point of airing and then you will be able to deal with this issue in it's proper context and not the Emotional one that I see.

just my 2

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Amazing - Excellent letter, excellent post - as always.

Kisses,
    Moe

UADNA - FL
    Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Florida Division

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi JT: I think most are aware that this program will not be the downfall of the Watchtower anymore than it will crumble the Catholic Chruch.

Like you, I have had many discussions with NBC folks, and was contacted by them for an interview, especially so when my son-in-law's JW dad was arrested for molesting a child.

I have watched the schedule line-up change when some minor event that has lost steam resurfaces. This issue with JWs is a serious one that will capture much more attention than some of the other stories they show. I am very confident it will make it to the airwaves.

My appeal to NBC is the timing ... to build on the momentum of the Catholic Church by bringing in another well known religion onto the stage. If NBC never airs this show, I will be disappointed, but life will go on.

Ratings is the name of the game ... ratings mean money. The news industry is evolving, and that is why Ted Koppel and others are being moved around ... and I am hoping that enough former JWs will email or write to NBC ... as this can indicate to them a significant interest in the story ... and this may play in as part of the overall incentive they need to ait the JW story sooner than later.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit