Your own mortality, how do you cope with it?

by CookieMonster 40 Replies latest jw friends

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Welcome CookieMonster. I understand why you feel that way. I think all of us at one time or another had to come to terms with this question. For myself and this is being in bondage for 57 years to the WT and being out for two years now. I am working on helping other people through community gardens. I work hard at really listening to what others have to say. I work hard at being kind and welcoming to all I meet. I try to make the best of everyday I have left on this earth. I feel if everyone did this instead of waiting for a magic tea cup from the sky to fix everything. This earth would be a better place to live. You have many years left on the earth. Make the best of them. Totally ADD

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

When you come to the realization that immortality/everlasting life is a fabricated concept used to control the behavior of mankind it gets easier.

The important this is to accomplish your life goals and obtain your desires in the now.

• FWFranz
    FWFranz

Hi CookieMonster

I sympathize with your present awakening to realities of life and death. Even the bible tells us plainly in Hebrews 9:27, "And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment," If JW's just read the scriptures they would realize that all men, including themselves, will die one day. This is why Paul stressed the resurrection as the only hope that a Christian had to live again. Somehow the WTS has exempted themselves from the plain words of scripture. Unfortunately the wages of sin are death. The WTS has made a promise that they can not keep.

FWFranz

Romans 6:23 provides some comfort in my opinion.

23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

• CookieMonster
    CookieMonster

Thank you all for your practical & useful comments, I really appreciate it. I'm sorry its such a morbid topic. Realising this for me is like going through denial, anger and acceptance. I'm somewhere between 2-3, I'm angry that I could have better spent those years of my life. I turned down going to Uni because it was "bad", I turned down jobs because of meetings, turned down sports clubs because of field service, turned down contact with my non-jw friends, work mates and relatives because they were "bad association" etc etc. I'm angry that I could have spent more quality time with my grand parents, than just at meetings and field service, now they are gone. I'm angry that I did and say things that a typical JW would.

Probably the best thing I did was not to become a pioneer or go to Bethel, but managed to carve out a career which affords me a comfortable life now. There was tremendous pressure though at every assembly & convention. The talks for young ones made you feel worthless & guilty if you weren't in full time service. I completely agree I've got to live a day at a time, no point in being bitter and accept the eventuality that befalls us all. I'm learning to appreciate things a lot more now, happy to be just alive and make the best of it. Thanks all once again.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I was lead to believe that we may be the generation that will not taste old age and death. But the reality is, I need to face up to my own mortality and for a JW who has invested heavily into the doctrine this is a hard pill to swallow.

COOKIE MONSTER, you have summed up the emotion roller coaster that I have been on as well. As a born-in, I too was never to start schoo, finish school, have kids, etc etc. (In fact MY PARENTS were actually "the generation" but we know what happened to that. And I suppose I accept that the chronology was off a "few years", then a "few decades", saw my parents hit old age, one of them die, now my wife and I are getting old and dealing with the infirmities that come with it. Yes, I thought we'd all be in the Panda Paradise by now too.

Facing my own mortality doesn't seem to be as fearful as worrying about my elderly mother, my wife and whether I have things set up that she will be OK. Worrying about if our kids are well enough established. (I guess parents will always worry like that. Fortunately I insisted they go to college and they are not under the control of the Org.)

I too am where I question WHAT IS THERE beyond "this life". It seems most ex-JWs have been so convinced that all other religions are totally wrong thus they mostly "convert" to atheism.

It's an emotional journey. Most here have traveled the same road.

Good luck.

Doc

• Pickler
    Pickler

Hey Cookie Monster, you sound abut the same age as me. I was also told I'd never go to school/highschool/work & all those things have happened.

My husband (non JW) has told me that I'm bad at long term planning, I can think about next week, month or perhaps next year, but, everything else just seems like a blur. I really find it hard to imagine the future, he thinks this is a leftover from the JW upbringing, and I think he's probably right.

He has saved for retirement/superannuation all those sensible things. I find it almost like a fantasy, I feel like my brain can't grasp the concept.

i feel the same about mortality, I'm not stressed about it,it just doesn't seem real.

Anyway, I've been thinking about mortality a lot today, because a friends husband died yesterday. He was 40.

So, enjoy what time you have is what I think we have to do.

Even if you had a crappy time in your teens out door to door, or slaving at some horrendous quick build. Or a horrible 20s in Bethel....whatever, let it go & start having a good life now. And see a financial planner!!!!

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

LIVE YOUR LIFE every day the BEST you can, and yes we all will die - just hope it's a peaceful way to go.

to ensure that , get Doctor check ups regularly and eat right and exercise.

I can't begin to tell you how many of my EX JW's are so morbidly big and obese, (they use the NEW SYSTEM as an excuse for Excess)

Be Strong, Be Smart, Live Happy!

Oh and read Tuesdays with Morrie

You can't miss it! the Instructions are in his book!

• Pickler
    Pickler

Submitted my comments before your second comment came up! Glad to read you got the career Cookie Monster, good for you.

i feel the same as you about everything, lots of wasted opportunities. Also DOC it's a tough journey, hang in there guys!

• Mum
    Mum

Having a limited time here motivates us to do something with our time. If we knew we would live forever, where would the motivation be to achieve? When the time comes to die, I figure I'll be ready.

Do what you want to do with the time you have. Free yourself, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Welcome...to the real life...Cookie Monster...Where the world goes 'round, people are born, they live, they die. Now that you are out, The Watch Tower won't be using your life to feather their nest, anymore. Yay, for that.

((((((((((((((Hugs to All of us Good Hearted Souls, that were abused by a Corporation, masquerading as a religion, living off of us, using us, then tossing us away))))))))))))))

Much needed Love to All on this Board...

From Just Lois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit