Your own mortality, how do you cope with it?

by CookieMonster 40 Replies latest jw friends

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

It's a difficult thing to grow up thinking that you're never gonna' die and then have to come to grips with that fact all at once rather than little by little as you grew up. All I can say is that it is easier if you trust that you'll do your best no matter what comes your way. Make a point of taking things a day at a time, doing the best you can each day to be pleasant to those around you, do healthy things to improve your chances of a healthy future and take small steps each day toward improving yourself or your life in the immediate future. If you find you are worrying, it is because you are thinking too far into the future. People never worry about the past, only have regrets or anger about things that could have been done better. The future is unknown and we often don't like not knowing what is going to happen. Get comfortable with that. Bring your thoughts into the present moment and what you can do today. Children are great at this and thats part of why they are so carefree. A certain amount of peace comes along with acceptance. As you grow into the idea that living forever isn't likely to happen and might not be such a good thing anyway, you'll find this topic a little easier to deal with. A little denial is OK in this area in fact it's probably healtier than being too realistic. Realists may be more accurate than optimists but they aren't necessarily happier. Who's to say what really happens after we die. I'm taking a wait and see attitude. It's out of my hands and may be none of my business.

• Glander
    Glander

Our dogs and cats will live about 12-15 years. Elephants and turtles can be over a hundred. Plant lifespan can vary from one spring and summer for a dandelion to 2,000 years for a juniper tree..

Today, many human cultures are only living an average of 45-50 years.

I am hoping for 80+ but I don't want to think about much more if I'm going to be a helpless burden with no purpose other than to breath and keep a heartbeat.

I'm not really too concerned about dying. As Woody Allen said, I just don't want to be there when it happens.

• clarity
    clarity

"As old age starts to creep in, sometimes I sometimes find myself actually looking forward to a nice long dirt nap. "

>

Ya but you are just a bird ...oh wait ...got mixed up for a minute

..oh sorry Parakeet! hahaha

>

Well Cookie, being here is a huge step towards seeing life

as it REALLY is.

>

There are more steps.

>

But they are your steps & at your speed.

>

Forgot your age, but no matter, we can only live one

second at a time anyway.

>

Live in the NOW ... right this second.

>

Don't waste your seconds.

>

They are what life is made of!

>

I am probably close to double your age, and...

>

I have never enjoyed life more, nor have I been

SO AWESOME in my whole life!

>

Welcome & keep going!

clarity

• Emery
    Emery

I see it this way..

When I die it will be as it was before I was even born. Conscious of nothing at all.

• maisha
    maisha

Wait just one minute... we are not going to live forever?

I believe i am going to live forever!

I remember in my arrogance how Black and White that issue was, watching all the people at concerts or movies and they are ALL gonna die. but not me.

Now i am getting old as hell itself and nope no way i gonna die//\\

Power to the GB!

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon. -Woody Allen

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I believe that I have something valuable to provide to society that benefits the next generation. Thus, I am motivated to work as hard as possible to reach my goal.

• Zordino
    Zordino

I was Born in but something in the back of my mind always told me that I would live to see old age and die one day.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I am waiting to "kick the Bucket" what do I believe??? Well when I was born again,by asking Jesus Christ to
    come into my heart,1989. at an exjw convention.I now believe I am adopted daughter of the LORD Jesus

I believe I will see HIS face...When I go to the 3rd Heaven,Just my soul,& spirit,my body will go to hell
    where fire consumes them ( Because under the earth is a raging fire ,sometimes it erupts & a vulcano
    is see ( raging fire)

That is MY belief

• soontobe
    soontobe
    Your own mortality, how do you cope with it?

I don't. Well, at least I don't think about it too much.

Once I get to a point where my life isn't productive or enjoyable, I'll put an end to it. I won't be a burden. I don't intend to die in bed. I didn't get to choose being born, and who I was born to. I didn't choose the color of my skin, or eyes, height, or many other things. There's precious little to choose when it comes to these things. But I will choose when I will die (unless it's something sudden like an accident). It's my life. I will decide.

Death isn't the big deal. It's the getting there that's bad. I've still got a few decades before I get to that point at today's life expectancies.

At the same time, I hold the belief that my spirit is eternal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit