Your own mortality, how do you cope with it?

by CookieMonster 40 Replies latest jw friends

• soontobe
    soontobe

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/14636/14636.txt

The visible universe, the universe that is created by the instinct of self-preservation, becomes all too narrow for me. It is like a cramped cell, against the bars of which my soul beats its wings in vain. Its lack of air stifles me. More, more, and always more! I want to be myself, and yet without ceasing to be myself to be others as well, to merge myself into the totality of things visible and invisible, to extend myself into the illimitable of space and to prolong myself into the infinite of time. Not to be all and for ever is as if not to be--at least, let me be my whole self, and be so for ever and ever. And to be the whole of myself is to be everybody else. Either all or nothing!
  • Glander
    Glander

I understand your feelings about not being a burden, soontobe.

But leave yourself open to the possibility that, at some point, even though your body is falling apart you still may have an active mind. Maybe you can still see beauty and hear beautiful music. Then there is the grandchildren.

I was involved a conversation on this subject once when someone very firmly asserted, "I don't want to get to the point that I'm not having any fun and all I'm doing is breathing"

My reply was, "well, breathing is fun."

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

I live in the moment. Death is notning more than the state you were in before you were born. It's simply non-life. Nothing to fear...

• Glander
    Glander

life is short, death is forever. Don't rush.

• Bella15
    Bella15

I am a disciple of Jesus now, a Christian and I believe that I have everlasting life and whether dead or alive I live because he lives forever. I think JW believe they will have eternal life after a lot of tests, Armageddon, millennium, etc but Jesus gift of everlasting life for whoever believes it is now,,, as far as the lost years of not preparing, saving for my future I believe God has restored what the locust ate, by faith I know that all the promises to Abrahams descendants are mine too and the Holy One of Israel will not leave me and with his help it is not too late to start my life again, to become the person I was supposed to be. He has good plans for my life and my children. I am very happy and eternity is in my heart.

• Bella15
  • ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

Glander "Bristlecones are estimated to live 5,000 years old", a new tree was found to be close to 10,000 years old, what did that try see over it's life span? How many humans picked bark off it while it survived so long? There are plant systems which no accurate estimate can realistically be made, just as some turtles and crocks could live three to five hundred years old. The plant system I read about was older than the tree found in the North, possibly a underground network of life going back 100,000+ years old. Why can't we live that long?

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I don't have any trouble believing in God. I felt worse about dying when I was a Witness, I don't really know why. One reason, maybe, in the 70's when the End seemed very close and I was a young man the prospect of dying before Armageddon and having a resurrection and not being ever able to marry or have sex was a disturbing thought. But there are other reasons I fear it less now. I'll probably end up making a fuss about it before I go.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

For me when I was a Witness I questioned a lot of the time as to whether I was good enough to survive Armageddon. I had no desire to reach out for any positions in the congregation. Since I left, my belief in God has remained the same but I no longer have the worries of whether I'm good enough or not. I'm more sure of my hope. That's probably more the reason why I feel better now regarding my own mortality than before.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Who says I do?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit