Congregation had to relocate Memorial...thanks to me

by Shepherd Book 73 Replies latest jw experiences

• poppers
    poppers

Do you count them as attendees?

Ha! I bet they would!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Get a security guard. Whats the big deal about that? Everybody else needs a guard, and the jws think that the rules don't apply to them? Are they special??

S

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I think it was great ! I bet the local elder numpties never gave it a thought... NB I wonder how many other hired halls have the same ruling and nobody thinks of it as "serving alcahol"...but of course it is...

Ooh! that was a late start for them, but not your fault. I would bet that the earlier 2 meetings were heavily over crowded and just keen adults attended the re scheduled one . That is the way it goes.

My Wife's congo had the early Memorial this year, thank God.. but there were some from the other congo in attendance, who plainly wanted to be home early. Do not ask what they said, it went over my head

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Okay. I want to make this clear - if possible. The JWs are sneaky people. Don't think that they aren't.

They more than likely KNEW that they would need a security guard if it was known that they had alcohol at the service... they just neglected to mention this to the person that they talked to about renting the building/room for the evening. It's like, when I was a JW, I always saw the 'No Solicitors' signs at the homes of people that we bothered with our door-knocking - and ignored them.

When the person would come to the door, upset, and ask if we saw the sign, we would reply, "We're not solicitors." or somesuch.

I will tell you this - if they HAD held their service at the rented building, they would be crowing about it later, "Yeah. We were supposed to have a security guard present if there was alcohol involved. But we sneaked it in, and no one was the wiser." - or some such. It wouldn't be the first time they have lied, and it won't be the last time, either - if it serves THEIR purpose - it's okay (theocratic warfare, remember?).

A final tale. When I was a lot younger (a teenager), my mother wanted to hold a gathering, and rented a building. She and my older sisters hauled our big and heavy stereo and 33RPM records over to this place, and they held a square dance party. No alcohol. Sodas, chips and cookies.

A lot of people attended (over 100 - if I recall correctly) and had a great time. Most were worn out and went home happy.

Well, the local elders got wind of it later, and called my mom onto the carpet (one of the elders was there actually, and had a great time). Their concern? What did people do AFTER the party? My mother was to be held responsible if anyone committed any acts of... !gasp! misconduct.

My mother and older sisters took it hard. My mother even wrote to the society, told them what we did, and quoted a lot of WTBTS references and stuff about how to have parties. They basically asked if it was okay to hold gatherings based on this. They actually got a reply which said that it was okay to do so.

Soooo... my mother called the elders and set up a meeting at our house. She showed them the letter. They were not happy. They were very mad in fact, that a woman had gone round them and over their heads - and also that they were wrong in their 'words of wisdom'.

Well, they left it by telling my mother that if we held another party, we would need to hire a security guard to patrol the parking lot - to prevent any trouble from happening.

My mom did. Out of her own pocket. Back then, I don't remember how much it was, but it was probably another $100 that she had to spend on this gathering.

Again, lots of people came and had a great time. The security officer was a bit confused, as he had very little to do except stand around and eat cookies and drink soda.

The elders were still not happy, and basically told my mother that she could only hold gatherings in our personal home after this - which she did.

My point to all of this?

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Regards,

Jim TX

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

great job. take that dishonest JW elders. They knew the policies.

• new22day
    new22day

Agree you did nothing wrong. Not your intention that they change the time/location of their event. Seems they're more interested in saving $ then spreading the good news. ...funny how the other church, the one ruled by satan, has no prob following the rules. Ridiculous on so many levels.

• Think About It
    Think About It

I wonder if the security guard that would have been used was required to carry their firearm? That could explain why the elders didn't just simply pay the small fee for the security guard. Could be a stupid WTS rule involved in the final decision.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

All rental agreements for halls CLEARLY spell out rules regarding Alcohol. The JWs tried to commit fraud if they said no wine was being served. No doubt some theocratic strategy

Some usudpecting smuck was saved as a result of this quick thinking. Shouldn't a good JW be willing to sacrifice a late meeting for what they believe in?

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

How many times has the WTBTS told people to 'count the cost', giving the example of someone wanting to build something and coming up short in the middle of it all and look like a fool when they couldn't finish what they started? This is an example of the local elders NOT checking everything out and getting caught. If they had checked everything out, and knew about the alcohol ban, they then exempted themselves from the ban's application.

The other church uses fake wine, and remain in compliance, the building managers could not overlook the fact that the ban needs to be enforced fairly. Perhaps the designated security for the building couldn't be on hand because of previous engagements.

• QueenWitch
    QueenWitch

Rules are rules. JW shouldn't have tried to break them. Did anyone get hurt? no? then I look at it as therapy. SB inconvenienced them which is no way like how we are being inconvenienced dealing with guilt, depression, anxiety, etc. We all deal with being "mentally diseased" in different ways.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit