Congregation had to relocate Memorial...thanks to me

by Shepherd Book 73 Replies latest jw experiences

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

So, the two local congregations were planning to hold their memorial together at 7:30 at the local community center, but they had to make a last-minute change to their own hall, and I'm pretty sure it was because of me.

Let me explain...

At work on Monday afternoon, a co-worker returned from her lunchbreak and showed me the memorial invitation that was waiitng in her door when she went home for lunch. I noticed the sticker on the back indicated the memorial was being held, not at the local hall, but at the community center. From a past (non-JW) event I attended there, I knew they didn't allow alcohol (unless you pay for security guards), so I wrote to the center's coordinator:

Hello, I just received a flyer from a door-to-door representative with the Jehovah Witnesses. there will be alcohol passed around to all in attendance at tomorrow night's event. So, I just want to verify that there will be a security officer in attendance during the event, as per your room rental guidelines. Please let me know. Thank you.

She wrote back on Tuesday afternoon (the day of the memorial) and said they had relocated to their Kingdom Hall, and the event was now scheduled for 10:30pm. So I worte back and asked why. She said:

Because of our alcohol policy, they were not able to serve wine at their service so they chose to move the event to The Kingdom Hall. We would love to have them back but they would have to serve non-alcoholic wine as the church we have here on Sunday mornings does.

I feel bad for the kids who, instead of having the memorial finish at 8:30, were now at their Kingdom Hall until 11:30 (if they were in the second congregation). But it is spring break here, so they probably liked gettting so stay up so late without having to get up for school the next day. I'm surprised they didn't pony up for a security officer, but it might have been too last-minute to get one. Either way, all those invitations they passed out had the wrong address.

-Shepherd Book, Deliverance at Hand!

• Emery
    Emery

LOL, nice!

• finally awake
    finally awake

They should have known about the rule on alcohol and taken steps to get a security guard ahead of time. Sounds like they were trying to sneak the wine rather than doing the right thing.

• carla
  • Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I find this just hilarious! I am mentally thinking about the hundreds of flyers that got passed out to people with a 7:30pm time on it. If they were interested, and went to the community center at 7:30pm like they were told, there was probably a sign on the door redirecting them to the kh - at 10:30pm.

Even JWs would get this - unless they got a phone call at the last minute telling them of the change. They're not going to go home and sit and wait for 10:30pm to roll around.

I would wager a guess that the kh had an overflow of people at 7:30pm, and crickets* at 10:30pm.

I love it!

Regards,

Jim TX

* Crickets are what you hear when there is no one there.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

"I feel bad for the kids who, instead of having the memorial finish at 8:30, were now at their Kingdom Hall until 11:30 (if they were in the second congregation)." -- So do I, and for those who have to work the next day.. What did you expect? Surely you knew that Jw's wouldn't cancel their memorial. Causing trouble just for the sake of it is the kind of things that gives 'apostates' a bad reputation, and maybe some deserve it..

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

RE: The Quiet One -

Who said 'Shepherd Book' was an apostate? Why do you feel that he did wrong?

He merely pointed out that alcohol was going to be passed around at the function - which it was.

The issue could have been easily rectified by getting a security guard.

JWs are NOT exempt from rules that others have to follow. Period.

Regards,

Jim TX

• under the radar
    under the radar

At the risk of bring flamed, I thnk this kind of crap gives us apostates a bad name. It also undermines our legitimate actions to thwart the mind-control cult from its really harmful activities. I also think it was a childish and pointless exercise in tit-for-tat gamesmanship.

You know very well there was to be no actual use of alcohol, certainly not any abuse thereof. You just inconvenienced a group people you don't like just for the pure sport of it. The JWs do many harmful things, but observing the Memorial is not one of them.

Reasoned discussions, even arguments, against their false doctrines, cult-like qualities, flawed child abuse policies, and mind-control techniques are fine and deserve to shouted from the rooftops. But interfering with their right the peacefully assemble in public facilities goes too far. It's spiteful and gives them ammunition to whine about how hateful those "nasty apostates" are.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Oh, how brave and manly. Human wisdom taken to its extreme.

If that was an example of the most intelligent thing you managed to do, I see no limits as to how childish people can behave.

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

Well... they could easily avoided the situation by hiring security... there is alcohol (and according to law that is forbidden). Everyone is ABLE to drink from it... although most won't. That is the risk of using a community centre I guess.

For the rest: it is kind of childish but it is funny as well

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit