Congregation had to relocate Memorial...thanks to me

by Shepherd Book 73 Replies latest jw experiences

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

If that was an example of the most intelligent thing you managed to do, I see no limits as to how childish people can behave.

This false dichotomy with an added strawman and ad hominem was an even better example.

• Splash
    Splash

It's funny in a "it's typical JW's" sad sort of way.

I see it all the time at my hall.

You have unskilled, untrained, inept brothers stumbling from one cock-up to the next, simply because their only qualification to take on a task is that they do 10 hours ministry each month.

They 'look after' the K.Hall but have no clue as to legal obligations, they 'attend' not knowing how to handle any incidents, they bodge yearly accounts, screw up anything that that needs some semblance of intelligence, take dangerous shortcuts when storing cleaning materials, spend as little money as possible doing dodgy maintenance tasks with a 'that will do' attitude, fail to maintain a store of legally required first aid items, and they spend the congregations money without it being properly authorised.

The elders are all legal trustees but none of them have a clue what that really means, but they make up rules that they think, in their mentally stunted world, will be good for everyone only for the CO to come and put them right. Again.

It's funny but it's sad. The ability to think for oneself has been replaced with a constant need for concensus.

It also is common to every single K.Hall in the world.

Splash.

• moshe
    moshe
    at the risk of bring flamed, I thnk this kind of crap gives us apostates a bad name.

hahaha- and just how, pray tell, would an apostate get a good name in the KH?- however, you can be a nice and compliant apostate by being their doormat.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

JIMTX -- 'Apostate' means opposer to them, I put it in quotations, but whatever.. A few sips of wine, if any at all, is hardly a felony you or anyone else would care less about if it wasn't Jws meeting there.. But if you find it funny that peoples lives+childrens sleep patterns were disrupted for something so petty, that's up to you. No disrespect to you, sir.

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

Yes, I knew they wouldn't cancel their memorial, but I didn't expect them to relocate with 24 hours notice. As you can see from my initial inquiry to the center, I was curious if they were hiring a security officer. Rental of the room itself is relatively cheap (like, $50), but a security officer was listed as costing something like $40 an hour with a minumum four hours, so I was curious if they were planning to pay the $160 for the officer. That's not too much of a cost, so they could have easily took it from their savings, or simply announced: "Hey, the cost of this room and the security officer is costing us $200, so if everyone could donate a buck, that'd be great." They also could have tried explaining the wine was merely ceremonial. Seems to me they picked the poorer option of relocating.

Also, keep in mind that only one of the congregations met so late. As Jim_TX noted, there was still a 7:30 memorial held, and that one probably had higher attendance.

Like I said, I feel bad for the people who had a later night than usual (school children and those who had to work); I thought they were just going to have to pay a bigger bill for the room.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Undertheradar-- I'm glad that I'm not the only one who felt this way. Imagine if it was your Jw wife/husband/kids that had to attend at that time of night...

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

They need to follow the letter of the law - Plus really it could have been done with grape juice - doesn't need to literally be wine as it is only a symbol of blood. It points out how the letter of the GB will be followed to the nth degree and that they cannot make a simple decision.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

"I thought they were just going to have to pay a bigger bill for the room."+ "so they could have easily took it from their savings, or simply announced:"Hey, the cost of this room and the security officer is costing us$200" ... So your motive was to get 1 congregation of (likely) mostly well meaning Jw's to spend $200 more out of their savings? I hope that having this little story to post made your day.

• out4good3
    out4good3

Undertheradar-- I'm glad that I'm not the only one who felt this way. Imagine if it was your Jw wife/husband/kids that had to attend at that time of night...

If that were the case, I'd still be pissed off at the elders sloppy work in not ensuring that they were following all the rules related to renting the facility. Knowing that alcohol was to be presented, they could've very well notified the venue up front and requested a variance on the grounds that it was ceremonial and that virtually nobody would be dringking. This is a standard rule I've found in renting any public facility. You'd have thought that they would already know about it.

As cheap as I know JWs to be, it would not be unheard of that they kept the alcohol a secret to avoid paying the cost of having a security guard thinking no one would notice.

The whole exercise is a collosal waste of time anyway....

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

so the JW's tried to break the rules, Shepard Book calls them on it, and people take issue with HIM? LOL, huh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit