"They went out from us, but they were not of our sort..." - worst ever scripture to lead an anti-apostate talk?

by cedars 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• trujw
    trujw

Apostates are easy to spot. They are hunched over foaming at the mouth with crazy bloodshot eyes. They almost always have a smurf t-shirt on with beards.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

T-shirts don't have beards.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Well, this is the usual thing, isn't it? One isolated verse after another. On the plus side, no coherent, detailed argument will be given during that part--warnings not to listen to 'apostates' and name-calling will be the order of the day. This, if anything, is good for us, as it will impress upon the minds of the audience that we are dangerous in some undefined way. For the thinkers among them, this will stick, and maybe it won't matter today. But on the day when they're at their wit's end, they'll remember the fear as I did, and decide to open the door they were warned not to open.

On the other hand, it will enable them to continue their abusive speech. To paraphrase Awake!, a good educator presents both sides of an argument and encourages discussion. Propagandists hammer hard on their point of view and discourage discussion. I, on the other hand, totally recommend for people to read The Watchtower in its full context and determine for themselves whether the writers of its contents are good educators, propagandists, or somewhere in-between.

--sd-7

• trujw
    trujw

You must be an apostate 00dad. Cause not only do smurf t-shirts have beards. Little stuff animals walk out of kingdom halls, If you pray you will get a nock on your door, If you are a rapist and answer the door you will see two big burly men behind me that are angels, If you quit your job (only to pioneer) Jah will bless you with a better job. Now better in that cleaning another mans bathroom is awesome cause you have days to go in service. Also we are the happiest people on earth, really just ask us, really we are happy so happy, no really i love toilets, really meetings are fun real fun! I love to underline.

• sd-7
    sd-7
    I love to underline.

LOL! And who doesn't, really? Some people actually used rulers all the time. I preferred to have my lines a little squiggly.

--sd-7

• Think About It
    Think About It
    I love to underline.

I've been out of the cult for 17.5 years, and I still can't read a work procedure without highlighting.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

sd-7: To paraphrase Awake!, a good educator presents both sides of an argument and encourages discussion. Propagandists hammer hard on their point of view and discourage discussion.

Do you mean this little jewel?

THERE is a difference—a big difference—between education and propaganda. Education shows you how to think. Propaganda tells you what to think. Good educators present all sides of an issue and encourage discussion. Propagandists relentlessly force you to hear their view and discourage discussion. - Awake!, June 22, 2000, pp. 9-11

Or maybe this one:

As The World Book Encyclopedia says, in a climate where ideas circulate freely, “propaganda differs from education.” - Awake!, June 22, 2000, pp. 4-8

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Ouch, that hit me right in the irony bone! Watch where you throw those quotes, guys!

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

It would be fun to hack into the wireless microphone frequencies during that talk..........................

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

How lazy is lazy, I heard of a elder sending a shepherding call via letter because he was too busy with his helper to make the rounds. "Just thinking of you, hope you get back to Meetings Soon!" after three years of missing meetings (except Memorials).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit